• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

650CS Center Stand Issues

jbernel

BernieND
My wife, 5'4" and petite wants to buy a 650CS after seeing one at the Chicago bike show in February. She could not get the scooter up on its center stand and I would like to know if anyone else had had the issue. The bike was on a carpet, and the BMW sales associate tried unsuccessfully to help. Anyone have any suggestions before we buy the bike. She is dead set on owning on.
Jeff

2012 K1600GTL

Anyone have any suggestions before we buy the bike. She is dead set on owning on.
Jeff

2012 K1600GTL

This should not be a deal breaker. Just have her use the sidestand, and when the centerstand needs to be used, do it for her.

Last edited:
Also, make sure the side stand isn't down when you try. The rear wheel is locked when it's down, making it much harder to get on the center stand.

I have found the GT much easier to get on the center stand than the Burgman Ex. Good advice above. Here is how I generally do it. Side stand down...dismount on left side. Get into position and grab the left (rear) brake lever and the passanger grab bar. Kick the side stand up releasing the auto brake. Get your right foot on the center stand lever. Then comes "The Move"...in one motion...release the rear brake lever...stand on the center stand lever...pull up on the left grip and the passanger grab.

This has been working well for me but it does take some effort, coordination and practice. I would suggest acting as "spotter" the first few times!

All the above posts, especially side stand up. My wife is sized challenged and had some difficulty with center stand till she changed hard sole hiking boots, tennis shoes are way to flexible in the sole( plus being unsafe for riding)
Make sure bike is vertical with both center stand legs touching and it goes up easily

If your wife is comfortable with the seat height, she should go for it. I wouldn't worry about the center stand. The only time I use the center stand on my Burgman is when I change oil or wash the rear wheel.

If your wife is comfortable with the seat height, she should go for it. I wouldn't worry about the center stand. The only time I use the center stand on my Burgman is when I change oil or wash the rear wheel.

I completely agree that the c650GT is far easier to put on the center stand than the Bergman 650, but there is one major trick. If the side stand is down, the parking brake is automatically engaged and it is hard to put the bike on the center stand when you are battling the brake. Be sure to put the side stand up before putting the bike on the center stand. After a couple of tries, it goes up and down with ease...

Back