• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2005, R1200RT, Can't Sync throttle bodies.

Spinakr

Greetings all,
I am unable to balance the throttle bodies on my '05 R1200RT.
With engine off, I used a GS-911 to park/Sync the stepper motors,
then with engine off I connected a Harmonizer and zero'd it out.
Started the bike and the 2 vertical slashes were far to the left at -30 mb.

I tried adjustment on the throttle side and had no room to go clockwise with the cable nut.
Turning counter clockwise only made the mb reading go lower to -49 mb.

I am unable to get the cable to adjust the display reading up in mb, or to the center of the display.

what am I doing wrong? :banghead

As usual, any help is very much appreciated.

Rob

Step 1: make sure you have cable slack at BOTH throttle bodies. With the throttle closes you should have 0.5~1.0 mm play regardless of the position of your handlebars.
Step 2: adjust your valves
Step 3: check idle balance. Anything less than 25 mbar is in spec. Assuming you have no air leaks and there is slack in the cable at both throttle bodies the only thing you can do to adjust idle balance is to set your valves. There is no other idle balance setting. Your valves must be the same side-to-side.

Once the valves are adjusted correctly and the idle balance is within range you want to adjust the tension of the right side so the mismatch at 1400~1800 RPM is less than 15 mbar and that any imbalance is more-or-less constant (the low reading stays on the same side as the throttle is twisted).

Already adjusted valves.

Thanks MarchyMan.
I forgot to mention, before attempting the throttle sync I adjusted the valves following VonBaden's video to a T.

Are you saying that the throttle cables at the bodies need to have the lower nut snug, but the upper nut loose to allow that 0.5 to 1.0 mm slack?

Thanks again.

Rob

You should be able to twist the throttle and see the cables move from 0.5~1.0mm without moving the butterfly. Start the bike and pull on the throttle cables at the throttle bodies. If the RPM changes immediately that cable is too tight. The cable should move that 0.5~1.0mm before you detect any RPM change.

I also left out a step. Don't do anything with the throttle bodies until the bike is at full operating temperature. I put about 10 miles on the bike before testing and adjusting cables.

Ok, another stoopid ?

I'm sure I already know this, but just making sure.
Is the GS-911 "Idle Actuator Calibration" performed with the engine off?

I saw that the instructions indicate the "Lock Idle Actuators" function is performed with the engine not running, but ignition on. Did not see such a clarification for the "Idle Actuator Calibration".

Rob

Got the throttle bodied synced!

Last night I got it figured out and got the TB's sync'd pretty close at 1800 - 2500 - 3000 - 3500 - 4000rpm.
I had to go back & forth several time between the 2 sides.
The only concern I have is the top cable adjusting nuts on both sides are about 3/16 - 1/4 inch above bottom.
Is this normal?

On a side note, the tapping sound I had coming from the clutch side cylinder is completely gone.
Bike starts up, runs really well, sounds fantastic. I just haven't had a chance to take it out for a test ride.

Back