Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replacing my '05 RT??

Replacing my '05 RT??

I'm soliciting opinions.

I looked at the 2013 90th anniversary R1200RT today and came extremely close to buying it. It's beautiful compared to my 05. I like everything about it from the dark anodized aluminum parts, the new fairing, the black pearl with flat black accents and all the do-dads from the factory. The thing I can't seem to get my head around is the price of $21,340.00, almost twice what I paid for my bike in 2008.

My bike has Piaa lights, zumo 650 with xm/mp3/ Bluetooth, elf highway pegs, pre-scratched side cases from my wife getting on/off, fresh 24 month/40k service, bar backs, cee bailey windscreen, cylinder head protectors, custom leather seats

If I bought the '13 everything would swap over except the bar backs, windscreen, elf pegs and cyl head protectors.

As much as my heart says to buy the '13 my head says its stupid and to wait and buy one used in the next couple of years.

My bike is worth maybe 7 to 8 grand. What would you do? Is the improved RT worth the 13 grand more?

How many miles do you have on the 05? Have you had many problems?

Replacing my '05 RT??

I bought it with 8000 miles and it currently has 34,000 miles with no issues. (Knock on wood)

I would save my money and see what the water boxer is going to look like. 34k she is just broke in.

Quote Originally Posted by rt 12 rider View Post
    I would save my money and see what the water boxer is going to look like. 34k she is just broke in.
    +1

My 2009 RT has 114,000 km's and it's just getting nicely broken in. Save your dough and get out and do some serious riding, giving your 2005 some serious exercise!
    Rick MacPherson
    Success is Not a Destination, But a Journey.
    Accredited Motorcycle Appraiser
    1968 BSA Starfire, 1976 BMW R75/6, 2009 R1200RT

I've been struggling with the same question. I have the 05 also (65k miles). But I can't justify the money. I don't want the new water head, I'd only go with this last cam head. But I'm keeping the 05. Especially now that there is a company that can rebuild the "whizzy" brake module.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

You only go round once

I have a different take. With motorcycles, it's all about the feel. Saving money? That's what you tell your wife
    why you need to use a motorcycle to commute.....truth being an economy box is easier on the wallet. Test ride the new bike then decide. Shortly you won't be able to buy a new camhead as they will be water pumpers. The latest R series (after '10) are the result of improvements and upgrades to the design. It's the things you didn't do you regret when you get old an in the way. I cry when I make that payment but then I ride the RT it's all good. Riding motorcycles is illogical and doesn't make sense.
    Will Stagg Central Coast of Commiefornia
    2012 R1200RT (most awesome unit)

Yamaha TW200 adventure bikes (3) waay fun units

Cowboyatheart

Regrets

Quote Originally Posted by arbolmano View Post
    I have a different take. With motorcycles, it's all about the feel. Saving money? That's what you tell your wife
    why you need to use a motorcycle to commute.....truth being an economy box is easier on the wallet. Test ride the new bike then decide. Shortly you won't be able to buy a new camhead as they will be water pumpers. The latest R series (after '10) are the result of improvements and upgrades to the design. It's the things you didn't do you regret when you get old an in the way. I cry when I make that payment but then I ride the RT it's all good. Riding motorcycles is illogical and doesn't make sense.
    I'm with you, if I was looking for a new bike I'd buy the last cam head rather than a wet head. The new bike looks pretty sweet. You'll have lots of future to buy a wet head. But the option to buy this anniversary edition as a brand-new bike will only come once.
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

For twelve large difference you can ride a long way on the '05 and enjoy it. I've got an '06 and wouldn't even dream of buying a new RT as I haven't used up my old one yet. And I will NEVER buy a waterhead.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Well- one more opinion

I don't think there are enough improvments to justify the $ difference and I've got nothing against the wethead which will significantly improve power- its change from oil to water is actually a fairly modest evolution if one looks at the actual layout and parts.

I'm gonna wait ll the RT wethead is out and then look / decide. There will be plenty of used camheads around should that be my prefernece.

Replacing my '05 RT??

The sales guy called yesterday to sweeten the deal but I couldn't do it. Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by kenlavine1 View Post
    What would you do?
    For many of us, I think this is a net worth issue. If we can write a cheque for the newer bike without fussing about it, then it might be "worth it". But everyone's comfort zone is different.

And the "early" Hexheads are so good, that many of us will keep them for many years.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

I just bought the 90th Anniversary bike; have two others, but can't really help you make a decision. If you want to be practical your bike is still 'very low miles' so why replace it; then again this is a limited edition bike (they'll hold their value a little better), it may be the last of its kind, it's an improved bike over what you have, and what the heck, if I wanted to be practical my '79 Airhead will take me anywhere. I'm 65, have two jobs, manage big projects and tons of people where I have to be practical so to me, all things motorcycles is my space where practical is not in the playbook. Buy it, imho!
    IBA No. 58411
    Current Bike 1979 BMW 100RT; 2013 BMW R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition; 2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary Edition

Ozzie Flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by rapz View Post
    I just bought the 90th Anniversary bike; have two others, but can't really help you make a decision. If you want to be practical your bike is still 'very low miles' so why replace it; then again this is a limited edition bike (they'll hold their value a little better), it may be the last of its kind, it's an improved bike over what you have, and what the heck, if I wanted to be practical my '79 Airhead will take me anywhere. I'm 65, have two jobs, manage big projects and tons of people where I have to be practical so to me, all things motorcycles is my space where practical is not in the playbook. Buy it, imho!
    +1 did the same thing for the same reasons
    regards
    Paul
    Ozzie Flyer
    BE KIND TO HUMANS... THEY BITE

Replacing my '05 RT??

Quote Originally Posted by rapz View Post
    I guess it is still practicality over desire at my stage in life (47).