• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Metzler Tires

letsride88

Any other rider's as upset as I am that the perfect 99A has been discontinued by Metzler. The best rain tire I have ever ridden on.The only tire mounted on my three BMW,s in the last dozen years. I have emailed Metzler and complained, I hope many of you will do the same.
Thanks.

I recently installed a pair of Metz Z6's on my RT. The rear tire took 45 g. of weight to balance. I wasn't happy about that at all.

The front took 10 g. I had much better luck with Conti Road Force tires.

Might be a while before I go with Metzlers again....... :brow

The Laser and ME99 definitely changed after production moved to Brazil. I used to use them in the early 90s, but switched to Dunlop and Bridgestone bias-plies and never looked back.

I installed a pair of Michelin Macadam 50 sport touring bias tires on my K75S two weeks ago and just returned from a 2200 mile week long ride. After riding on pavement, gravel, rain, heat, curvy two-lane and interstate roads, I'm very happy with the performance. :thumb

Yes I also have ridden the ME33 and 99A combination for 15 years, with the odd ME88 as a rear sub. Excellent tires for the R100RS, I trust them completely ... but I guess times have changed. I hear complaints from some Canadian friends that the mileage of the new Metz lasertec tires is dismal, worn out within a month in some cases, no complaints with grip though ... time to see what some other folks are wearing on their older R models , any suggestions ?
Steve :thumb

I have used the me33 and me99 after production moved to brazil and did not see a difference. Not a great mileage tire ...oh but what a rain tire, I would go anywhere in the rain. I have emailed Metzler...need more riders to complain.

Well I gave the lazer tec a try. Performance was good but not as good in rain as the ME99. However, I could live with 7000 miles with the ME99. The lazertec on the other hand wore out in two trips totaling a mere 3800 miles.
I have emailed Metzler with my thoughts and told them to Bring back the 99, fat chance.
So the search is n for replacements, front and rear. Any suggestions?

I'm on my third pair of Z6's and have no complaints. There's nothing like a new set of tires that's scrubbed in with a hundred miles on them. Wish they could stay like that.

Last edited:
At the advice of my legal team, my comment is no comment

I am not allowed to make tire comments on account of my upcoming product review in the December issue of our fine print publication: The Owners News.

Cliffy777 said:
I am not allowed to make tire comments on account of my upcoming product review in the December issue of our fine print publication: The Owners News.

izzat a joke?

Cliffy777 said:
Cliffy,

You better not be holding out on us MOA dues-payers. :uhoh I just mounted and paid for an ME Z6 a couple of hours ago.

Fred

You talkin' to me? Huh?

username said:
izzat a joke?
Kinda. I'm not holding out anything. Remember me asking for opinions on re-manufactured tires? Everyone thought I was a butt hat. Yup, thats me. Just rolled over 4k on the Tomahawks on the way in this morning and they ROCK. Mr. Butthat and his retreads! Read all about it in the December issue of the ON.

Cliffy777 said:
Kinda. I'm not holding out anything. Remember me asking for opinions on re-manufactured tires? Everyone thought I was a butt hat. Yup, thats me. Just rolled over 4k on the Tomahawks on the way in this morning and they ROCK. Mr. Butthat and his retreads! Read all about it in the December issue of the ON.

What speed are those tomahawks rated for? How many miles are you predicting they'll last? If I die while riding on them, can I sue you from Hell?

Inquiring minds want to know,

Breeze

can't really talk about it until after the evaluation is published. Remember, the net and mag are not integrated yet.

Cliffy,
Are you suggesting that in the future, the mag will be scooped on articles by the website?

Just ordered a pair of the MCE Karoos for the GSA...was going back to the TKC80's but the Karoos have exposure from folks like Helge Petersen etc...can't wait to get knobby tyres back on this thing for winter...hehehe

Callmethebreeze said:
What speed are those tomahawks rated for? How many miles are you predicting they'll last? If I die while riding on them, can I sue you from Hell?

Inquiring minds want to know,

Breeze

This will answer your questions. I have no problems with them at all, personally I plan on trying a set of the soft tires next time

Back