• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Advice on options for riding pants

colorado_okie

All,
I'm hoping I can get some advice from some of you. As a newly returned motorcyclist (haven't owned a bike since '03), I'm slowly acquiring my riding gear. I say slowly, becasue currently it is still winter in western Colorado. I recently purchased the Icon Patrol jacket and I'm very happy with the fit, construction, materials, etc. However, I have not decided on which pants I should purchase....

Living in Colorado and planning on commuting 30 miles to and from work, I want pants that provide adequate ventilation, are warm when needed and waterproof. I'm looking at the Icon Patrol pants, and the Olympia X-Moto pants. I like both pants for different reasons. I like the Icon pants simply because of the fit and finish of the Icon jacket I now have. What I do not like about them, is the appearance of an overall lack of ventilation, and the lack of a removeable thermal liner. Conversely, I like the X-moto pants because of the versatility in ventilation options, and the removable thermal/waterproof liner.

I'd like to know the opinions of those who have either pants. Also, for anyone who rides in the Colorado- or even other mountainous regions; do you find you have a need for a non-removeable thermal liner? I could see very easily needing the thermal/waterproof liner in one pair of pants during the summer months during rain; yet I'm concerned about the lack of a removeable liner in the Icon pants. If there are other pant options I've not yet considered, please let me know.

Thanks for the help,
- Randy

Per rockbottom, think about what you have to wear to work when making the pants choice. Also consider elec pants vs thermal if need be for your seasons to commute. I'm short legged & it works for me to use slightly oversized pants w/ hvy duty suspenders to allow for various combos underneath from thermal down to summer hiking shorts. I sold my elec pants and kept my elec jacket based on my needs. I have older version of Olympic pants & they are good stuff. ADV & ebay & IBMWR are great places to find bargains as people change weight, stop riding & dealers sell off last years models too. On ADV flea mkt the good stuff goes very quickly.

I don't commute on a bike, however....

I recommend you get a pair of nice armoured fair-weather pants and a separate waterproof bib / overalls for the rainy rides.

The waterproof overalls go on and off fairly easy even over roomy motorcycle pants and they're 100% waterproof.

For example Dickies?« Storm Vigor Twill Waterproof Breathable Bibs

s7_983102_003_01.jpg

As kantuckid said about Olymia gear "it's good stuff". I find it to be a good value - well made, well designed, reasonable price. Their pants are easily adjusted for inseam length. I've had their Ranger pants (or is it "pant"?) for five years and they are waterproof, offer good protection and comfort. I wear them over thin cotton pants. True, there is no ventilation unless you zip the leg zippers up at the bottom (a Velcro tab keeps them loosely closed). I also use their AST jacket and I'd guess their mesh gear is a good value too.

pete

Kevin, have you ridden in the rain with these pants? Any comments to add? It sounds like they'd be good in hot, humid weather.

thanks,

Harry

I have. In light to moderate rain, I had no need of the waterproof liner that can slip inside of them - stayed dry with just the exterior material, which I re-treat each year with a silicon-based waterproofing spray (Wal-Mart).

For anything torrential, slip on the inner liner and you're good to go all day.

The upper legs in front un-zip and roll down to create excellent air flow. I wear them in any temp. :thumb

As kantuckid said about Olymia gear "it's good stuff". I find it to be a good value - well made, well designed, reasonable price. Their pants are easily adjusted for inseam length. I've had their Ranger pants (or is it "pant"?) for five years and they are waterproof, offer good protection and comfort. I wear them over thin cotton pants. True, there is no ventilation unless you zip the leg zippers up at the bottom (a Velcro tab keeps them loosely closed). I also use their AST jacket and I'd guess their mesh gear is a good value too.

pete
Mine have vent zips on the thighs.

I have. In light to moderate rain, I had no need of the waterproof liner that can slip inside of them - stayed dry with just the exterior material, which I re-treat each year with a silicon-based waterproofing spray (Wal-Mart).

For anything torrential, slip on the inner liner and you're good to go all day.

The upper legs in front un-zip and roll down to create excellent air flow. I wear them in any temp. :thumb

Thanks, Kevin. I just ordered a pair.

Harry

Thanks, Kevin. I just ordered a pair.

Harry

Once I got mine, I went to a local seamstress (actually, a tent-repair facility) to have them properly hemmed, which is one of the big advantages of the X-Moto pants in the first place. They will be a perfect length! :thumb

Once I got mine, I went to a local seamstress (actually, a tent-repair facility) to have them properly hemmed, which is one of the big advantages of the X-Moto pants in the first place. They will be a perfect length! :thumb

With my 36" inseam, I expect the pants to be good right off the rack, with no hemming required. :clap

Harry

All good advice above, all I can add is be sure the pants will zip to your riding jacket.

I think this is very good advice which maybe came too late.

I have a Rev'It Sand suit which also has a removeable rain liners and thermal liners. Hey, everybody's body and bike is different. I leave the rain liner in the pants always and also wear thin long trousers in warm to hot weather. Never use the vents in the pants. I find that three layers on my legs actually keeps me more comfortable than say just riding in jeans. Of course it is the air between the layers that actually insulates my legs from engine heat and very hot pavement. When I expect the temperature to stay below 50 F. I like the insulated liners - no cold legs down to the freezing mark. The only way to find out what works for you is to experiment.

When it comes to summer touring (variable temps and the possibility of rain) I go with an electric jacket, no rain or thermal zip-in liner, and an outer rain jacket. Thermal liners in a jacket are only perfect at one temperature. The electric jacket with a control allows you to always stay comfortable until you have to take it off. Pulling on a rain jacket is MUCH easier than taking off the outer jacket (after first unzipping it from your pants,) putting on the rain liner, re-zipping pants and jacket, then finding out what looked like a serious rain was in fact a 10 minute light shower.

No easy answers, I think.

Back