Thread: Best roads from Carolina to Denver to Oregon and back?

Hybrid View

Best roads from Carolina to Denver to Oregon and back?

I'm riding this July from Charlotte, NC to rally in Oregon. I've never been west of Denver before. Anyone have "roads you just gota ride"

Route East to West:
    Charlotte July 10, 2013
    to Denver,
    to Moab, UT (Iron Butt 1000 to Salem, OR)
    or to Rawlins, M (Iron Butt 1000 to Salem, OR)

Route West to East:
    Salem, OR
    to San Francisco (gota ride over the Golden Gate Bridge, bucket list)
    to Reno, NV
    to Salt Lake City
    to Denver ?
    to Cheyenne, WY ?

What's the ride like from Reno to Salt Lake City?
    How much spare water do I need to carry for ride out west in July?

Sounds like you are planning a great trip! Lots of different routes to choose from but the things that may help decide are how much time you have, how far you plan to ride each day and which places you want to see. Pretty basic stuff that you probably have already considered. I did a similar trip when the rally was in Redmond three years ago and chose a few places that I "had to see" and tried to plan my route based on that.

I took a southern route after the Golden Gate Bridge and crossed the Mojave Desert in the middle of the afternoon with the rest of my trip through the southwest/southern states. If you plan a route similar to that, I would suggest not only a good amount of sports type drinks to replenish electrolytes, etc. but a way to keep whatever you plan on drinking and pouring on you cold. Either a cooler with ice, thermos bottles, Hydro Flasks, or something similar. Places to stop for something cold out that way can be few and far between.
    Ken
    2004 R1150RT
    2013 F800R

SF to Reno to Salt Lake TIPS:

The Interstate80 is a very pretty ride over the Sierra to Reno, but as a local out here, many greater options exist but timely! Take one of our great pass rides; Carson(Hwy88), Ebbetts(Hwy4), Sonora(Hwy108) or Tioga(Hwy120)YNP Passes are all best choices for mc travel. All are South of the Interstate 80 which is Donner Pass. I would not want to miss the famed US50 crossing Nevada, starting at Fallon,NV to Interstate 15 in Utah. You can cut it off at ELY,NV and get back to 80 at the Bonnevillle Salt Flats and on into SLC. My favorites above are Ebbetts and Sonora Passes. Tioga is in my back yard and a frequent of mine. Yosemite NP. Interstate 80 across Nevada is IF youre in a hurry only. Water? Always carry a quart or two of fresh water. Drink MORE than you think you need. If youre not pee'in at stops, youre in trouble. A really good guide to know if youre getting enough H2O!!! Randy

I suggest coming up from Carolinas into TN , then west through nwAR/ seMO ozarks then fast west to CO & linger through the mtns as time allows then aim for Tetons/YSNP then N & OR. OR meander through wine country/west coast, do your bridge thing then east per ideas above & back to CO & linger some more!!! Ride partner?
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Utah/Colorado;

Utah has the most National parks of all states and Colorado has got to be on everyones list to hang out. Both states, plan well to achieve the most benefit. The Golden Gate Br. has got to be one of most folks higher priorities too, a great sight to see. The Summer on the bridge can be a toss up thing, as it gets very foggy at times during Summer months. Take a chance, its worth it. A walkway exists, so one can walk the GGB expanse one end to the other and a GREAT photo op on a clear day. Most days are clear in Summer, above the fog, so just play the odds and hope for a clear bridge. BTW, the whole West Coast gets fog in Summer at times, so no picking on bridge thing here. Usually riding inland a few miles or less gets you out of it, OR even staying on the coast can change from mile to mile. Enjoy, Randy

Packing Water? Ride Update

Thanks for the all the great ride suggestions. I'll have to rethink my packing to make sure I have enough room on the bike to carry extra water for the ride across AZ and UT. Maybe I'll just strap a bag of ice to my back and let it melt.

Ride Update:
    -----------------
    I'm planning 1 week to ride from Charlotte, NC to Salem, OR. Leaving July 10th, wondering westward across CO to Moab UT by Monday, July 15th. On Tuesday July 16th I'll get up early and start Iron Butt 1000 to Salem, OR arriving morning of Wed, July 17th. I'll setup tent, sleep, then volunteer at the start of the rally. As you can tell, lots of details to work out as I ride along, nothing firm, the road and weather will tell me where to go next. All are welcome to join me on the ride out.

My ride back will be more leisurely, no Iron Butt, 1 week riding down west coast, over GGB, then east back to Charlotte. I'll plan to ride as many of these great roads suggested as possible before time catches up to me.

For the first time I'm going to try motorcycle camping. My first test ride\camp will be this weekend at www.MarchMotoMaddness.com ride to Tellico Plains, TN, then RA Rally, June 20-23, Biltmore. Www.bmwra.org finishing with GA Mountain Rally, May 3-5, Hiawassee, GA, Www.bmwmoga.info. If you're at any of these rides, look for the blue R1200RT from SC with blue bag full of camping equipment. Still trying to figure out how to packed clothes, bike stuff, tent stuff, other stuff on the bike. Maybe I'll start another thread on camping tips.

--Chris Skor
    --Charlotte BMWMOA

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisSkor View Post
    I'm riding this July from Charlotte, NC to rally in Oregon. I've never been west of Denver before. Anyone have "roads you just gota ride"

Route East to West:
    Charlotte July 10, 2013
    to Denver,
    to Moab, UT (Iron Butt 1000 to Salem, OR)
    or to Rawlins, M (Iron Butt 1000 to Salem, OR)

Route West to East:
    Salem, OR
    to San Francisco (gota ride over the Golden Gate Bridge, bucket list)
    to Reno, NV
    to Salt Lake City
    to Denver ?
    to Cheyenne, WY ?

What's the ride like from Reno to Salt Lake City?
    How much spare water do I need to carry for ride out west in July?
    Chris, you need to check out the Loneliest Road in America while you're out there:

http://www.ponyexpressnevada.com/

You can use this road either coming or going and will keep you farther north than I-40. By the way get your copy of "The Official Hwy 50 Survival Guide" from "TravelNevada.com" I believe it is and once you have completed the route you'll become eligible for a certificate. I know who cares about a certificate? But it will be fun imagining how they crossed this area back in the 1800's while we ride our BMW's!

I'm riding to the Bonneville Salt Flats in August and will be doing Highway 50 (the Loneliest Road) as well. I would prefer to pass on August but that is when the Land Speed Records for Motorcycles are held and they probably won't change the date for me so August it is.