• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1998 R1100R vin number lookup

rdhudson

RD'nNH&AZ
Doing a vin number look up I got this:

Vehicle code 0407
Series 259R
Model R 1100 R 94 (0402 ( 0407) )
Body type 0407)
Catalog model USA
Production date 1998 / 02
Engine R 1100 R 94 (0402
Transmission
Steering
Catalyzer NONE

Does my bike have a Catalyst in the exhaust?
Ralph

Good question.
In 1998 by law all USA models should have one methinks.
On the other hand the VIN lookup clearly says NONE.
So it's a binary possibility. :dunno

Really don't know if you can tell by looking down the pipe with a good flashlight after removing the muffler assembly from the bike.

Not sure

I'm asking because I found the information and it did not jive with my expectation. If there is no cat I might be tempted to remove the code plug if run-ability is an issue. As it is, I only got the chance to ride the bike three or four times in early November soon after I bought it with 6,200 miles on it. I had to put injector cleaner through it to get nice run-ability when warm. Great runner and good pull from 3,000 rpm. I love it. On all the rides I found it a bear to keep running smoothy until it was warmed up but never having had a bike with FI I didn't know I was to keep the choke (yea I know, fast idle?) lever on. I'll return to NH in a few weeks and try that. The bike had been in for an annual service, new tires, battery, etc at Franks in Vermont not long before I bought it. I know now I need to see if the ABS-brake fluid was replaced, the valves adjusted, and the balance done. I have the slips but not here in AZ. The service was $1,000+ including the tires and battery so I assumed all was up to date. Yes I do know what assuming makes me and u.
Ralph

I'm asking because I found the information and it did not jive with my expectation. If there is no cat I might be tempted to remove the code plug if run-ability is an issue. As it is, I only got the chance to ride the bike three or four times in early November soon after I bought it with 6,200 miles on it. I had to put injector cleaner through it to get nice run-ability when warm. Great runner and good pull from 3,000 rpm. I love it. On all the rides I found it a bear to keep running smoothy until it was warmed up but never having had a bike with FI I didn't know I was to keep the choke (yea I know, fast idle?) lever on. I'll return to NH in a few weeks and try that. The bike had been in for an annual service, new tires, battery, etc at Franks in Vermont not long before I bought it. I know now I need to see if the ABS-brake fluid was replaced, the valves adjusted, and the balance done. I have the slips but not here in AZ. The service was $1,000+ including the tires and battery so I assumed all was up to date. Yes I do know what assuming makes me and u.
Ralph

you are not supposed to keep the fast idle lever on for any longer than it takes to pull away easily with it off- maybe 30 secs tops, and that is on a sub-freezing day.

Valve adjustment and TBS (throttle body synch) should have been done as part of an annual service. No direct experience, but i've spoken to more than one VT area rider that would ,pst likely tell you that if Frank's did the service, you might want to double check that it was actually done correctly. Just sayin'.

i've had idling issues (erratic idle setting) wehn the BBS (big brass scres) were gummed up and yucky. about 40K miles is all they can handle before getting some ugly buildup.

Last edited:
Question: Was there actually a version where the catalytic converter housing was hollow (or maybe even had another baffle or two)? No fancy expensive rare elementals inside?

Just as an example - one of my R100s had a collector box ahead of the mufflers (not a cat); it sure ran a heck of a lot better after a half-inch drill straight front-to-back accidentally got in there (and re-jetted the Bings)...

Back