• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Prospective C650GT buyer

Illiya

Hello All. This is my first posting since discovering this site, and I joined the MOA even though I have yet to buy. I have signed up for riding classes in May, and want to buy a C650GT shortly after that. (I hope to sell my '77 Beetle first.) I have some reservations about the "Scooter" after reading about the stalling problems and the oil weeping gasket. Have any of you newer owners experienced these issues? When I do buy, I would like to get one of the more recently built bikes, and hopefully get one with no such problems. Am I able to tell the production date by the serial number? (As with VW and Porsche.) About a month ago I went into my local BMW motorcycle dealer and looked at the C650GT for the first time. I was very impressed, but since I was not ready to buy, I did not want to take a lot of the salesman's time. He indicated that they were not firm on the list price. Would any of you new buyers be good enough to tell me approximately how much off the list price I can expect? I have enjoyed reading all the posts and seeing the pictures of your new bikes. I hope to be posting my new bike's picture in June. Thank you for answering my questions if possible. Best regards, Illiya.

The month and year of production should be listed on the label that the vin is on, not sure where to find that on a C650. I am waiting to pick mine up this spring. Waiting for the weather to warm up. What state are you in, or not in the US?

On the stalling issue, I experienced this but after the dealer re-adapted the FI and idle stepper motor, it has not reoccurred. I also have the weeping chain case but this is really slight and I think likely just due to under tightening, and will have the dealer tighten it up it the next time it's in.

On the stalling issue, I experienced this but after the dealer re-adapted the FI and idle stepper motor, it has not reoccurred. I also have the weeping chain case but this is really slight and I think likely just due to under tightening, and will have the dealer tighten it up it the next time it's in.

I had my scooter in the shop last week and they replaced the gasket in the rear drive under warranty and will again if there is the same issue again

Well hey!
I'm right over by 'dere.
Glen Ellyn
Lets see if I can post a pic of mine.
Had a weep, it's a torque issue I was told, no gasket? No kidding!
No stalling.
I have several bikes and this is the easiest to ride two wheeled anything I've ever been on. (IMLE)
:wave

DSCN0581-L.jpg

Thank you all for your replies. Wezul - your bike looks great. I tend to favor your silver color or the bronze metallic. Would you mind telling me where you purchased yours?

Got my wife a red GT, lowered and narrowed seat, installed gel insert work done by Saddleman in California
Unless you REALLY need the top case save your money makes the bike to long and bulky, several makers including Saddleman make soft top cases that snap on over rear seat
Did a couple up grades including Skene design P3 lights and photon blasters for the front
Installed a BMW/DIN plug on top of right cowl wired to battery with fuse, good for heated clothing and connecting charger/maintainer to bike
Wunderlich side stand foot enlarger is another good to have item
Still waiting for side protection skid plates. Four months so far

Forgot
Adding GPS/SAT radio this month, to work with her C3/BMW comm set
Local dealer in long beach gave me about 500 off sticker, not a big margin item
No issues with bike, you'll enjoy, rides and handles fantastic, and yes will do well over the century mark, does sound like a lawnmower when starting out haha

GT scoot

This is number 18 of various bikes I have owned, 2nd scooter, and the BMW is light for 600 lbs, fast and rock solid at 90 mph passing traffic, (had to try it, it's German ya know). Probably the best all around machine with ABS, electric windshield and heated everything available. In other words I love it and with the 3 and 36000 warranty with roadside assist piece of mind comes along. As far as price, be candid but remember if you steal it any dealer will cringe when you need help or put 6 other bikes ahead of you. Pay a little more and they will be more apt to go the extra mile for you. :bikes

Last edited:
Back