• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Replacing my '05 RT??

kenlavine

I'm soliciting opinions.

I looked at the 2013 90th anniversary R1200RT today and came extremely close to buying it. It's beautiful compared to my 05. I like everything about it from the dark anodized aluminum parts, the new fairing, the black pearl with flat black accents and all the do-dads from the factory. The thing I can't seem to get my head around is the price of $21,340.00, almost twice what I paid for my bike in 2008.

My bike has Piaa lights, zumo 650 with xm/mp3/ Bluetooth, elf highway pegs, pre-scratched side cases from my wife getting on/off, fresh 24 month/40k service, bar backs, cee bailey windscreen, cylinder head protectors, custom leather seats

If I bought the '13 everything would swap over except the bar backs, windscreen, elf pegs and cyl head protectors.

As much as my heart says to buy the '13 my head says its stupid and to wait and buy one used in the next couple of years.

My bike is worth maybe 7 to 8 grand. What would you do? Is the improved RT worth the 13 grand more?

I would save my money and see what the water boxer is going to look like. 34k she is just broke in.

+1

My 2009 RT has 114,000 km's and it's just getting nicely broken in. Save your dough and get out and do some serious riding, giving your 2005 some serious exercise!

I've been struggling with the same question. I have the 05 also (65k miles). But I can't justify the money. I don't want the new water head, I'd only go with this last cam head. But I'm keeping the 05. Especially now that there is a company that can rebuild the "whizzy" brake module.

You only go round once

I have a different take. With motorcycles, it's all about the feel. Saving money? That's what you tell your wife
why you need to use a motorcycle to commute.....truth being an economy box is easier on the wallet. Test ride the new bike then decide. Shortly you won't be able to buy a new camhead as they will be water pumpers. The latest R series (after '10) are the result of improvements and upgrades to the design. It's the things you didn't do you regret when you get old an in the way. I cry when I make that payment but then I ride the RT it's all good. Riding motorcycles is illogical and doesn't make sense.

Regrets

I have a different take. With motorcycles, it's all about the feel. Saving money? That's what you tell your wife
why you need to use a motorcycle to commute.....truth being an economy box is easier on the wallet. Test ride the new bike then decide. Shortly you won't be able to buy a new camhead as they will be water pumpers. The latest R series (after '10) are the result of improvements and upgrades to the design. It's the things you didn't do you regret when you get old an in the way. I cry when I make that payment but then I ride the RT it's all good. Riding motorcycles is illogical and doesn't make sense.

I'm with you, if I was looking for a new bike I'd buy the last cam head rather than a wet head. The new bike looks pretty sweet. You'll have lots of future to buy a wet head. But the option to buy this anniversary edition as a brand-new bike will only come once.

For twelve large difference you can ride a long way on the '05 and enjoy it. I've got an '06 and wouldn't even dream of buying a new RT as I haven't used up my old one yet. And I will NEVER buy a waterhead.

Well- one more opinion

I don't think there are enough improvments to justify the $ difference and I've got nothing against the wethead which will significantly improve power- its change from oil to water is actually a fairly modest evolution if one looks at the actual layout and parts.

I'm gonna wait ll the RT wethead is out and then look / decide. There will be plenty of used camheads around should that be my prefernece.

What would you do?

For many of us, I think this is a net worth issue. If we can write a cheque for the newer bike without fussing about it, then it might be "worth it". But everyone's comfort zone is different.

And the "early" Hexheads are so good, that many of us will keep them for many years.

I just bought the 90th Anniversary bike; have two others, but can't really help you make a decision. If you want to be practical your bike is still 'very low miles' so why replace it; then again this is a limited edition bike (they'll hold their value a little better), it may be the last of its kind, it's an improved bike over what you have, and what the heck, if I wanted to be practical my '79 Airhead will take me anywhere. I'm 65, have two jobs, manage big projects and tons of people where I have to be practical so to me, all things motorcycles is my space where practical is not in the playbook. Buy it, imho!

I just bought the 90th Anniversary bike; have two others, but can't really help you make a decision. If you want to be practical your bike is still 'very low miles' so why replace it; then again this is a limited edition bike (they'll hold their value a little better), it may be the last of its kind, it's an improved bike over what you have, and what the heck, if I wanted to be practical my '79 Airhead will take me anywhere. I'm 65, have two jobs, manage big projects and tons of people where I have to be practical so to me, all things motorcycles is my space where practical is not in the playbook. Buy it, imho!

+1 did the same thing for the same reasons

I guess it is still practicality over desire at my stage in life (47).

It's a dam sexy bike

If dinero is NO object why not, if there is some consideration like others have mentioned.... Your's is just starting to hit it's stride.

My problem is I can always find someway to justify a nice shiny motorcycle that's new to me! :thumb

Back