• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2012 RT Brake Light/Turn Signal wiring

binkleylane

BinkleyLane
Hey All,

Installing aux brake and turn signal lights on my RT and the vendor did not give me the scoop on the wire colors on the RT side of the circuit.
At the connector that plugs into the break light housing I have the following:

Red -
Brown -
Green -
White w/ brown stripe
White w/ blue stripe

Your most gracious response will be greatly appreciated.
Danka,

Bob:scratch

Last edited:
I know this won't help, but it's a start. I always remembered that brown=ground, but I've only messed with the headlight wires, and I don't remember there being a red in there at all.

I know this won't help, but it's a start. I always remembered that brown=ground, but I've only messed with the headlight wires, and I don't remember there being a red in there at all.

Thanks Tuckerman its a start. I can meter out the other wires if the CANBUSS will let me. I suppose I can use the old needle and meter trick.

I clipped the following from Skene's installation instructions for their P3 lights. I don't know if this will help or not. You may want to visit their web site for more info.

P3 Lights Installation - BMW R1200RT / K1200GT

From 2005 on, the BMW R1200RT & K12/K1300GT use two, single filament brake light bulbs, rather than normal dual-filament tail light bulbs. There is no tail light filament, and consequently no tail light wire to provide power to the red wire on the P3 Lights controller. Power may be taken instead from the Green/Blue wire in the cylindrical diagnostic connector under the seat or the Blue/White wire going to the front parking light. This is accessible in the headlight connector on pre-2012 models. For 2012 models the parking light wires are located behind the left or right mirror housing. See your owners manual, section 7, page 125 & 126 for instructions on how to access this.
You may want
The following instructions illustrate how this is done on an R1200RT. The K1200GT is very similar.

Remove the front and rear seats and place the P3 Light controller in the space behind the rear seat. Then remove the two black Phillips head screws behind the turn signals so you can pull the tail light housing off.
Install the LED brackets and modules using the lower license plate bolts as shown in the photo below. The wires may be run up the sides as shown below or through the hole just under the center of the license plate, then up under the fender. Connect these wires to the thin black wires on the P3 Lights controller as described in the installation instructions.

Skene Design P3 Lights

Remove the tail light assembly, and install two gray/red Positap connectors, one to the brown wire and one to the gray/black wire. Either Brown ground wire may be used, and either gray/black wire on the center two lights may be used. Run the BLACK and WHITE wires from the P3 Lights controller from under the seat through the tail light opening and connect the Black wire to the Brown tap, and the White wire to the gray/black tap.

Next, locate the diagnostic connector under the passenger seat. This is a black, cylindrical connector that is secured to a frame rail by a clip. Unclip it from the rail to get easier access to it and install a red/gray Positap connector on the Green/Blue wire. Connect the Red wire from the P3 Lights controller to this Positap. This provides a source of switched power for the P3 Lights system.

Note: While the diagnostic wire can provide enough power for your P3 Lights, it cannot power any additional devices.

An alternate place to get switched power from is the front parking light wire. This is a Blue/White wire in the headlight connector as shown below.
Use of this connector will require an extension wire running from the headlight area back to the red wire on the P3 Lights controller. This wire can be slipped under the plastic fairing with the use of a straightened coat hanger or other similar tool. There is no need to remove the plastic side sections.

Hey All,

Installing aux brake and turn signal lights on my RT and the vendor did not give me the scoop on the wire colors on the RT side of the circuit.
At the connector that plugs into the break light housing I have the following:

Red -
Brown -
Green -
White w/ brown stripe
White w/ blue stripe

Your most gracious response will be greatly appreciated.
Danka,

Bob:scratch

Bob, it just occurred to me that the instructions I sent were for the unit without the turn signals. Go to their web site and they have a nice diagram for the turn signal wire connections for the RT.

Thank you all. I got them installed today and I am one step closer to my spring revival. Now if the weather would just cooperate. I am feeling the need!

Back