• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bridgestone BT-45 bad news !!!

98lee

3 Red Bricks
Staff member
]I just spoke with the engineers at Bridgestone. Our beloved BT-45 in 100/90-18 is no longer available in V rated. They have discontinued it.

The two replacement options are BT-45 100/90-18 in an H rating or 110/90-18 in a V rating. The 110 is .75" taller and .5" wider. It is my belief that the H rated tire in the proper size would have less adverse effect on handling (mainly turn in). If you keep it under 130, it will handle the speed.

(UPDATE! The above replacement recommendations are INCORRECT. See post #7 below)

The rear 130/90-17 is still available in V rated.

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
Can't find the 18" H

Planned to change the front after a little spring riding so I put off ordering the tire over the winter. Bad decision. I've only used the BT-45 on my bike and don't know what would be a good alternative if I can't find the H rated.
Regarding the H rated BT-45, I can't find a store that carries the 100/90-18 BT-45H. Where are you guys finding it?

Planned to change the front after a little spring riding so I put off ordering the tire over the winter. Bad decision. I've only used the BT-45 on my bike and don't know what would be a good alternative if I can't find the H rated.
Regarding the H rated BT-45, I can't find a store that carries the 100/90-18 BT-45H. Where are you guys finding it?

I would go to my dealer/vendor of choice. Tell them what I wanted. Have them order the tire. Pick my tire up or get it in the mail or UPS in about a week or so.

Bridgestone BT-45 bad news!!!

It has been my understanding that the V or H rating was a rating for continuos speeds. I don't know how long continuos means time wise, but I faintly recall a tire dealer telling me it was one hour. How many people need more than a H rating on the street? Aren't V ratings a little more expensive to manufacture because of the compound? V rated tires sound like a better tire to the performance folks as they may be a little softer (?). Years ago when the same size tires were listed together, the H rated tires were always a little cheaper. I always ask for H rated when they are available.They have worked just fine for me for many years, and have used them for serious mountain sporting and granny touring. I personally have never run continuously above 90 mph for more than an hour anyway.
I only have a jumbled opinions about tires, acquired over a lot of years. What's the real story on V and H ratings and what sort of mileage is an average person getting on BT- 45s? Never used 'em.

Update after further conversation with Bridgestone engineers:

They have no listing of a 100/90-18 BT45 H being available (even though I remember seeing it on Motorcycle Superstores site in the past. Not now). So that's out as an option.

The recommended replacement is a 110/80-18 Bt45V (that's an 80 aspect ratio, NOT 90). Only 4mm smaller diameter, so it will minimally effect rake and trail. 7mm wider so it should still fit.

To those that really like to push it through the twisties, we would all really appreciate any feedback on the handling differences between the 100/90 and the 110/80 once you have acctually tried them. It will be awhile for me as I have 4 new 100/90s to burn through before I have to make the switch.

how many miles are folks getting with these tires? On my old GS, I be luck to get about 6-8k miles out of a set of tires. But last conversation I had with the service guy discussing about the K bike tires, he seemed to imply these tires last much longer. I was just curious.

These tires are not a high mileage tire like the Metzler Marathons. They are a REALLY good performance tire (read as: hauling a** through the twisties). If mileage is your highest priority, these probably aren't the tires for you. You would probably get less than you got on your GS.

My comment on tire mileage is the same as my comment on gas mileage; I ride for SMILEAGE not MILEAGE!

thanks for the comment. I'm not too concerned with the mileage either with the K100 since it's not going to be a communter bike but more a weekend toy. I also enjoy the fact that it's old enough that I'm not afraid to wrench it myself to avoid paying $100/hr shop rates. I just got the bike and it's wearing 16 year old tires with 3 digit production dates on them. I went cheap and got the Lasertec as replacement this time but will probably get something more performance oriented next time.

The Lasertecs are pretty good. They were pretty much the best tire for K75Ss and K100RSs before the BT45s came out. The. Lasertecs have a mild tendency to continue falling into a corner requiring mild corection mid-turn. Due to their larger crown radius (more like modern radials), the BT45s eliminate that and are much more linear on turn in. But the Lasertecs are still a very good bias ply tire (not many bias tires left).

Last edited:
how many miles are folks getting with these tires? On my old GS, I be luck to get about 6-8k miles out of a set of tires. But last conversation I had with the service guy discussing about the K bike tires, he seemed to imply these tires last much longer. I was just curious.
I'm getting 8K+ on both front and rear. I'm probably anomalous as I commute 55 miles/day at low to moderate speeds on (relatively) clean freeways (405 & 5 between Santa Clarita & West L.A., for locals).

I'm getting 8K+ on both front and rear. I'm probably anomalous as I commute 55 miles/day at low to moderate speeds on (relatively) clean freeways (405 & 5 between Santa Clarita & West L.A., for locals).

You get 8k on a BT45 rear????? Wow!:bow

What bike?

James,
What tire pressure are you running on the rear?

:dance:dance

32-34ish. Always 1-up, no extra weight to speak of on the bike.

I just checked my log. I replaced the rear tire in Nov. 2012, with 8420 miles on it. I was annoyed, too, as I'd have run it for another 800 miles or so if it had been during a reliably dry season. I was just about to start wearing onto the tread wear indicators.

Back