• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

After market seat

a330boy

I am not very satisfied with my 2012 F800ST seat. After an hour or so of riding my butt seems to be riding directly on the seat pan. I don't see threads from other folks with the same complaint, so maybe it is just me. In any case, does anyone have any experience with aftermarket seats, especially the Corbin? I would like to hear some comments before I plunk down $400+ bucks.

I was just at Bike Week yesterday to look for an after market seat, but if you are looking for anything for a Eurobike, fuggetaboutit... The only non-H-D stuff I saw was mainly for the Goldwing. Oh well, it was still fun.

Search more broadly than F800ST seat, and you should see numerous threads here as well. The stock F8Gs saddle is the worst i've ever ridden on.
Most will tell you to avoid Corbin (crappy customer service, heavy, not exceedingly comfortable, better alternatives available at same or lower pricing). I had Corbins for years (going all the way back to when Mike was half of Corbin-Gentry), and will not purchase another.

Thanks much

I went to f800riders and read their comments. It was good to see it wasn't just my butt that isn't thrilled with this seat and there was lots of good info.
The longest ride I have done on this bike (I have only had it since August) is a one-day round trip Orlando-JAX, 2.5 hours each way. Bad news-sore butt, good news-66mpg. That ride on my previous bike, a Honda ST1300, made my butt sore too and it only got about 45mpg.

Might I suggest looking at the Kontour seat upgrade ? I upgraded my RT seats and the Kontour mesh is the best seat I have ever purchased, period. Cool in the summer, works with the seat heaters, dries quickly and will not get hot sitting in the sun like most will. Your gas tank will limit your ride time, not your butt :)

http://kontourseat.com/id2.html

BMWR1200RT3.jpg

I had a Corbin for my F650GS. It was a nice seat, but the reach to the ground was a bit much for me. I just got a Sargent low for my Suzuki DR650 and it is a remarkable improvement from stock. If you are going to cough up the cash for a new seat, you might want to find a ride in seat maker and go custom. I had the seat on my Yamaha Super Tenere cut down by a local fellow in Salt Lake. He not only cut the foam to give me better reach to the ground, but modified the seat pan so he could get me a bit lower. Unfortunately, the Yammie is still a bit tall for me, given its weight.

IMHO an aftermarket seat can improve your bike and encourage longer rides, therefore you should go for it!

seat

I bought a used Corbin at half price on the flea market. I like it a whole better then the stock seat. All the above seats talked about are good too , it is all in what you want pay for.:):wave:wave

Sargent seat

World Sport Performance Seat, BMW F800GS/F650 08+, CFX/Black welt/BMW tag. Don't know if it will fit on your bike or not, I'm an hour from San Antonio if you want to try it out, asking $300 bucks.

For my 800 I tried a SeatConcepts do it yourself seat. I was very impressed. Good quality and much more comfortable than the factory seat. The teardown and rebuild took me less than an hour.

I am not very satisfied with my 2012 F800ST seat. After an hour or so of riding my butt seems to be riding directly on the seat pan. I don't see threads from other folks with the same complaint, so maybe it is just me. In any case, does anyone have any experience with aftermarket seats, especially the Corbin? I would like to hear some comments before I plunk down $400+ bucks.

I was just at Bike Week yesterday to look for an after market seat, but if you are looking for anything for a Eurobike, fuggetaboutit... The only non-H-D stuff I saw was mainly for the Goldwing. Oh well, it was still fun.

Check out a Russell Day Long. When almost half of Iron Butt folks choose this seat that tells you something. The seats are nothing less than fabulous!

Might I suggest looking at the Kontour seat upgrade ? I upgraded my RT seats and the Kontour mesh is the best seat I have ever purchased, period. Cool in the summer, works with the seat heaters, dries quickly and will not get hot sitting in the sun like most will. Your gas tank will limit your ride time, not your butt :)

http://kontourseat.com/id2.html

BMWR1200RT3.jpg

These are made here in Tucson. Many bad reports of cutomer service etc. Very disturbing reputation.

BMW Comfort Seat is by far the best. I have had them all and beleive it or not the BMW Comfort Seat beats all the others.

I have one on my R1200RT and my F650GS

Jack

seat

I never even took 1 ride on th enew 700GS seat...The test ride at the dealer told me the bike was exactly what I wanted and the seat was awful. I ordered he bike, came home and ordered the Corbin Heated seat...I have had Corbin seats on all my bikes since the early 80's..... You either love them (hard as a rock) or hate them.....I love them.....Their customer service sucks but the seats are the best....joy

I had the same issue with the factory seat on my 2007 F800st, I was constantly pushing myself back away from the airbox. I bought a Corbin seat and wasn't to happy with it so I bought a Sergent seat and it seems better suited for me. I think BMW dropped the ball when designing the seat for the F800st. For a lightweight tourer you think they could have designed seat comfort into the bike.

I have a Sargent and a touratech breathable. Both comfortable in there own way. Think I am leaning toward the Sargent as the keeper.

Back