• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Help with planning Canada Ride

As for the passing lanes on the TCH, I'm probably in the minority :ha, but I kind of enjoy running with the passing traffic. Going up the high passes, with the engine under load, you get a nice snarl from the Remus.

I was thinking more of the non passing lane sections where its a struggle to work up through the line and get past the lead blocker. Passing lanes in BC seem to be an all out race to the finish with the blocker racing as well to prevent anyone from getting past. It always baffle me how they can only mange 60 Kmh all the way then suddenly and instantaneouly accelerate to 120 Kmh when the passing lane begins :scratch

I was thinking more of the non passing lane sections where its a struggle to work up through the line and get past the lead blocker. Passing lanes in BC seem to be an all out race to the finish with the blocker racing as well to prevent anyone from getting past. It always baffle me how they can only mange 60 Kmh all the way then suddenly and instantaneouly accelerate to 120 Kmh when the passing lane begins :scratch

Sorry to say, I don't understand either the quote or quotation that it was a reply to. I've ridden this road in both spring and fall and used the passing lanes to get by slow vehicles then ridden at slightly above the posted limit (some areas are patrolled) with no traffic and lots of time to take in the scenery. In the summer, when you get the rare vista of the highway below you and it is solid vehicles - well, my take is to pass until you have a car that doesn't tailgate behind you and a car (not a large vehicle) in front of you and then protect that position when the passing lanes appear. You are not holding up "faster traffic" more than a minute or two from their destination. You just drift back so you are 3 seconds behind the car ahead, relax, and take in the scenery. Until the next passing lane, where you try to keep your chosen follower behind you and, yes, block traffic.

I do my best to NEVER impede faster drivers/riders when their speed can actually save them time. Only when nobody is going to go fast for more than seconds.

Sorry to say, I don't understand either the quote or quotation that it was a reply to.

Doug:

My normal practise in the two lane sections is to stay in line, and I haven't had much trouble with tail gaters. I usually let fast movers by. If traffic is scattered, or I have a fast scout, I may do some passing, depending on how energetic I feel. When I get to a passing lane, I will run with the sprinting pack, and will pass some sprinters, as long as I can keep the speed under B.C.'s vehicle confiscation limit. If the pack is running over that limit, I just stay in the pack.

But there are different ways of riding it. I know one guy, an Ambassador actually, who rides the whole thing on the shoulder, at 90 km. :ha

The nice thing about running it on a BMW is that you have lots of power, and good visibility. It's not so easy in my Subaru. :D But I've noticed the last few years that TCH traffic seems to be moving at a brisker pace, overall.

You guys have been a tremendous help...DickNCa

We've enjoyed helping you. For many of us, the Kootenays are our favourite corner of Canada.

it always baffles me....MCMXVCIVRS

+1

Last edited:
When I get to a passing lane, I will run with the sprinting pack, and will pass some sprinters, as long as I can keep the speed under B.C.'s vehicle confiscation limit. If the pack is running over that limit, I just stay in the pack.

Vehicle confiscation limit??? I sure would hate to have to take a bus home because my bike got confiscated by the Mounties! Here in the U.S. if you get caught really speeding like 15 mph over the limit I think fines are doubled and the points on your drivers license record are doubled, but I have never heard of anyone getting their vehicle confiscated! What would be considered the "vehicle confiscation limit"?

Vehicle confiscation limit??? I sure would hate to have to take a bus home because my bike got confiscated by the Mounties! Here in the U.S. if you get caught really speeding like 15 mph over the limit I think fines are doubled and the points on your drivers license record are doubled, but I have never heard of anyone getting their vehicle confiscated! What would be considered the "vehicle confiscation limit"?

Dick:

It's 40 km over the posted speed limit. This is B.C., Canada's Left Coast: think Kalifornia North - you get the idea. :D

So you'll want to stay under 80 mph in the 90 km / hr zones, and 87 mph in the 100 km zones. Now here's the good news: the Mounties don't make you pay on the spot, like the state troopers do, so whether you want to pay later may depend on your state's reciprocity arrangement with the province, and how soon you intend to return. Also, the officer's decision of whether to confiscate the vehicle is discretionary, and you have the advantage of not being a Canadian, and being a tourist to boot, so they may go easy on you. Most of the RCMP are young, and are pretty good guys. Like with any trooper, you treat them with respect, and try to get your helmet off as soon as you can, so they can see that you're not a squid.

Last edited:
One other warning

B.C. has extremely tough drinking and driving laws. If you are stopped for any reason and an officer smells alcohol on your breath, you will likely be asked "to blow." If you blow 0.05, your vehicle can be impounded. (Note that 0.08 BAC is the legal limit almost everywhere else.)

Of course the best policy is to not drink at all if you are going to ride, but some folk do. Just bear in mind that a couple pints with lunch would most likely put you "over the limit." I haven't read of this being enforced with tourists, nor have I read that it is NOT enforced. Just information on how B.C. differs from the norm.

Dick:

It's 40 km over the posted speed limit. This is B.C., Canada's Left Coast: think Kalifornia North - you get the idea. :D

So you'll want to stay under 80 mph in the 90 km / hr zones, and 87 mph in the 100 km zones.

B.C. has extremely tough drinking and driving laws. If you are stopped for any reason and an officer smells alcohol on your breath, you will likely be asked "to blow." If you blow 0.05, your vehicle can be impounded. (Note that 0.08 BAC is the legal limit almost everywhere else.)

Good info! I never drink and ride but I will sure make sure the rest of our group knows the law in BC. Speed law seems reasonable. I think here the officer might consider that kind of excess speed as reckless driving which could cause your vehicle to be impounded a ride to town in the back of his police car.

Thanks for the info.

Dick

Back