• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1994 K75S Wheel Removal

Slipster

Slipster
It is new tire time for my K75S. I have been shopping around and have found great on-line prices for Lasertechs but all of the savings are lost having them installed and balanced at the local shop. To save money it appears that if I do the labor and take the shop only the wheels I can salvage some savings.
So my question - is wheel removal straight forward enough for me to do on my ABS equipped K? Or.... is peace of mind better off taking it to a shop to do all of the work? :dunno

You will need to remove the mud guard part of the fender to get the rear wheel off. Non-ABS bikes can just make it work without removing the guard but ABS bikes need it removed. Loosen the two nuts inside the rear compartment and then pull the two screws above the license plate and the mud guard should slip out.

Alternate method....no mud guard removal required

You will need to remove the mud guard part of the fender to get the rear wheel off..
1995 K75RT... I use the "lazy" way and put the center stand on a 2x8 board to raise the bike a little higher. It allows you to squeak the rear wheel off without bothering with the mud guard removal.
Tip for making it easy to get the bike on the raised center stand - roll the rear wheel up a little ramp on to a 2x4, then slide the 2x8 under the center stand area before trying to put the bike on the center stand. If you don't pre-raise the rear wheel, it's a bit difficult to get the center stand on the 2x8.

1995 K75RT...

I let the air out of the tire, comes out with a little coaxing. I fill the tire with air after it is mounted. easy peasy...

i-c8wkhbS-L.jpg

Thank you all for the advice Wheels with new tires back on the bike - saved $160.00 by shopping on-line for the Lasertechs and doing the wheel removal myself. Now it's time to break them in :dance

I have to say that with tax and install ($20 per tire) my net savings for dismounting the tires and take them to a local motorcycle shop compared to dealer wasn't that much. The local dealer charges full retail for the tire but mount and install for free with the wheel on the bike......

I have to say that with tax and install ($20 per tire) my net savings for dismounting the tires and take them to a local motorcycle shop compared to dealer wasn't that much. The local dealer charges full retail for the tire but mount and install for free with the wheel on the bike......

I continue to also benefit (with the help on this forum) repairing or wrenching on anything on the K that I can do myself. I would bet that a dealer would not have cleaned my bushings/spacers, replaced a missing washer, polished the rims, cleaned up the rotors and pads, etc.... and there is always the peace of mind of torquing down the bolts to spec yourself. :thumb

You did torque the front axle end bolt BEFORE you torqued the four clamp bolts, right?

:dance:dance:dance

Yes Sir. Front axle first then the clamp bolts fully only after letting the front wheel down and pressing down on the forks a few times - Thank you for asking :)

The level of tender loving care (TLC) that a local bike shop will dedicate to my K75S is probably nil as compared to the attention and care I can provide. In Canada, the motorcycling season is short causing local motorcycle repair shops to be swamped with work during the short busy riding season. However, they need the business and this can lead to the perverted McDonald's fast food repair shop effect with highs and lows in quality assurance. I for one, strongly agree with merits of doing the legwork basic part removal to lower the final bill.

As for the wheel removal, I have found the front wheel removal procedure on a 93 K75S ABS to be frustrating - too many darn washers and spacers on those fenders. :)

The level of tender loving care (TLC) that a local bike shop will dedicate to my K75S is probably nil as compared to the attention and care I can provide.

It will be enough to ensure your safety (and their liability) you would think. Good mechanics think seriously about their liability.

It will be enough to ensure your safety (and their liability) you would think. Good mechanics think seriously about their liability.

I think Ghyber is talking about those "while you are there" type attention that NO shop will devote time to because they won't get paid for work unless specifically asked or authorized by the owners. The old school shops where work is done without regards to cost are dying because most modern bike owners are not willing to spend extra money and some don't know enough to fear for their safety.

As for liability, the shop isn't liable for your wheels falling off unless they worked on parts that caused the wheels to fall off.

Back