Thread: Fuse flexibility for accessory circuit on an '03 K1200GT?

NE Arkansas - Between Goobertown and Buck Snort

Fuse flexibility for accessory circuit on an '03 K1200GT?

The recommended fuse for my bike's accessory circuit is 7.5 amps. Is the wiring robust enough to use a 10 amp fuse or larger?
    I set out for Bike Week from my home in northeast Arkansas in 34 degree weather last week, running a Garmin Zumo 550 with XM radio along with my Gerbings jacket liner and heated gloves and a new Gerbings controller. About a mile from home, I dialed up the heat and it blew the fuse. Fortunately, I had a spare 7.5 amp fuse at home, so I turned around, replaced the fuse, dumped the jacket liner and controller (keeping the gloves because they're the heaviest I own) and layered up against the cold.
    The ride to and from Daytona was miserably cold, despite my bulky clothing and I really missed the comfort of electric heat.
    If I can use a heavier load fuse without frying the wires or setting fire to my bike, I sure would like to know.
    Any thoughts?
    John M. Flora
    '03 K1200GT, '94 K75S
    MOA # 23538, RA # 16295, AMA Life Member
    Secret Squadron # SQ24418

3 Red Bricks
    I would NOT recommend putting a larger fuse in a circuit that BMW deemed to only handle 7.5 amps. Remember, fuses are designed to protect the wiring. If the wiring could handle more current, they would have put a larger fuse in there.

What I would recommend is wiring your heated gear straight to the battery with the Gerbing battery harness that has an inline fuse. The pigtail can hang out near the front of the seat. This will isolate your heated gear from the bike wiring and other accessories.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    What I would recommend is wiring your heated gear straight to the battery with the Gerbing battery harness that has an inline fuse. The pigtail can hang out near the front of the seat. This will isolate your heated gear from the bike wiring and other accessories.

That's what we did with our 03 K1200RSs, but the end of the pigtail was located on the left side of the seat, zip tied to the frame.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Fuse flexibility for accessory circuit on an '03 K1200GT?

Yes, hook your heated gear directly to your battery with the pig-tail provided by Gerbings (or whomever). In-line fused of course. I think mine are either 15 or 20amp. That's an absolute minimum.
    All 3 of my bikes pig-tail straight to battery. Simple and don't have to worry about manufactures fuse load or wiring harness.

mike wex
    '96 r1100rt