• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Third Recall for New Motor GS

The bikes that we will get in the states are only now being built.
Interestingly enough, I just got the e-newsletter from Max BMW and there is some kind of test rides of the new bikes at each of their dealerships tomorrow. I can't tell much from the picture on the differences :dunno OM

I don't mean to be an apologist for BMW, they pay people do that and the check is definitely not in the may to me. I am curious what larger context we put these three recalls and other motorcycle recalls and certification teething problems in. With apologies to Alex Trebek because I am not certain how to put my thoughts in the form of a simple question...

When most of us started riding and driving we did not hear about recalls until the letter hit our mail box or we walked into a dealership. Now each day I check my RSS feeds from several countries to see if any and which motorcycles made the recall list. The race for me is who is first to post BMW screwed up and gets the scoop credit.

BMW is having troubles along the way of getting a new bike combining existing technology past Transport Canada. Heck, if IIRC, it took Norton over a year to get a new bike based on an ancient simpler design past the same group.

In the time since I have began riding how much has the certification/recall process improved? Are the testing processes more rigorous; the testers more skilled?

When we read things how much of our discussion is a result of a greatly expanded context of information, declining quality over time of ___(insert your choice here)___, or just more of the same in a new package?

or even the possibility of litigation? I just got a postcard this week from lawyers prospecting for potential "sudden acceleration" clients.

Cost of entry!

Seems the new water'd beemer was a tad cheaper to buy and now, seems to get pricier? Issues crossing the Atlantic are sprouting, with Canada recalls and all, ouch. The 15000$+ MSRP will only go up:(. NJ is probably warehousing 100s of the new breed beemer as we speak and test rides are in the week to come, if not already. My CA dealer has mentioned this was the week to test ride'em. I am not a buyer, until the new GSA comes about. Once on a GSA, no looking back:). The extra farkles are worth waiting. My current GSA1200'07 is perfectly situated right under me a few more years:). Randy

These types of problems are a symptom of what Rod noted in his comment and BMWs compartmented and matrixed organization where there are a ton of "experts" and no one person whose ass is on the line for getting it right the first time. You can bet Boeing has quietly fired or sidelined some folks over the battery issues on the 787. I worked with a bunch of euro companies before retiring and watched time and time again where screwups were accepted as a simple fact of rapid development and outsourcing and dealt with as they appeared. They don't do root cause analysis and prevention of similar issues in any serious way...

Year 3 or 4 is the time to look at new models. It took from 05 until 08 to get the hexhead bikes reasonably correct and some would argue it toook until the cvamhead appeared. There is no reason to expect anything different with the wethead because nothing has changed at BMW except who is in political favor and running the show...

Because all the bad engineers went to GM. I have a 2009 Suburban that burns oil and sounds like a singer sewing machine because of AFM or active fuel management. It's a common issue with the all aluminum 5.3L v-8. You'd think they could do better than that. Luckily I got the extended powertrain warranty.

Year 3 or 4 is the time to look at new models. It took from 05 until 08 to get the hexhead bikes reasonably correct and some would argue it took until the camhead appeared.

Agree with year 3 or 4. And then it's still a crapshoot. They're still running a fuel strip in the R1200R and we know how reliable that is.

It sounds to me the problem is that they don't test a production bike in the extended test. Testing bikes that are basically hand built isn't representative of what will come off the assembly line.

Agree with year 3 or 4. And then it's still a crapshoot. They're still running a fuel strip in the R1200R and we know how reliable that is.

I wonder if a BMW engineer or VP would put one in his daughter's bike. To me, that speaks volumes about BMW's biggest problem. Regardless of reality, they project a complacent attitude toward some of their most loyal customers.

E.

H2o

test rode it today at 70mph hit the end of the handlebar with hand hard- no head shake It is very stable

In Route

I just ordered a '13 GS 1200 with the touring package. It is still in the inspection department in Berlin then on a ship. I have been a firm beliver in waiting a year on a new product. I waited until '12 to buy a new Ford diesel. Redesigned for in '10 for '11. I sold my '06 GS so now I am chomping at the bit for spring is in the air.
I do not mind a few kinks for I know BMW will take care of them. I am however concerned about the front end coming apart at 70 mph....that would not be good. This form is making me think twice....but I am a firm beleiver in moving Foward.

Sean Ross

Wait and See

This is why I no longer buy first year models. I'm perfectly content with my 2012 GS Rallye and will wait until they get all the waterbugs flushed out...or maybe I'll just keep the Rallye. :)

Plus one on that, tired of being a BMW crash test Dummy.

I also have the 2012 Rally and quite like it, most issues with the old GS sorted out by now just got back from a 5,000 mile trip and love the bike.

Look forward to hearing reports on the new one though.

Dave

When bikes are tested, they were built with perfect parts by the best of the best. They accelerate the testing as much as possible. Many many things are found you never hear about. Then they source parts. Sometimes things slip thru. It can be as simple as tolerance an oil hole is specified at 1MM+-.2 But 1.2mm or .8MM causes a problem. Maybe the development department machines cam bores one way, and the vendor did them another, causing a problem even though they met specs. They test the bikes every day. So they do not discover that the fuel pump will stick when it sits a month. Or an additive in American car washes causes problems with switches. Suppose carbon gets harder when it sits, and builds up, causing detonation and the engine is destroyed. The wonderful space age plastic will crumble in 10 years. Stuff fails when exposed too vapor off the engine even though it is no were near fuel. Maybe you park outside, then later start up and put in garage, 30 seconds running and it will not start the next day. Yes all these things have happened in the real world and caused expensive recalls and hurt reputations. The carbon thing put OMC out of business. Cam bores in the OHC vette years back. More than one company caught by fuel pump and car wash things.

These are the things that testing will not uncover unless you test for many years, and put out obsolete products. It happens to everyone putting out state of the art equipment

Transportation testing is hard. It gets worse when all the older experienced guys get golden handshakes. Not an excuse, just the way it is.

Rod

Nice concept for the above. However, reality may be a bit different. I am unable to prove or disprove so I won't accuse outright. I have never worked on the OEM side and it is always easy to criticize without any real proof. I have 30 years in the motorcycle industry most of which has been metric. The 30 years also includes a number of years with BMW. I have worked with maybe 15 or so OEM's in all those years. I can tell you that in my opinion BMW NA is the most arrogant, most thick headed of the lot. In order to allow equal press I can also tell you BMW NA thinks I am wrong. I love much of BMW product from motorcycles to clothing to accessories. In fact, it is possible I may never purchase another Japanese motorcycle again due to how much I love boxer motors in particular.

Having said that I have also been amazed at the number of issues on newly released BMW's in particular although it certainly doesn't stop there. And I am the first to understand that mistakes can be made. It is a rare customer that will be as forgiving as myself. But BMW can do a very good job of introducing soon to be broken product. I do not believe the Japanese folks turn out so many problems. But rather than listen to my opinion lets put forth some facts.

BMW was fined millions of dollars a few years ago for failing to report recall issues in a timely manner. Now that's scary! The majority of violations were motorcycles on top of it. The following is a link to the story. Pay special attention to how recent these stories are as each story is dated:

Look towards the end of this story. Out of 16 violations one was automotive and 15 were motorcycle-related. Now you need to realize that recalls are always safety-related. So what happened with BMW here? Is there anyone minding the store? I can't prove it but I totally believe arrogance is at play here. BMW NA's refusal to think that anyone in the chain of events other than themselves could possibly have a point is a real life problem. When a BMW rep lies to your face that's a real problem. When a BMW rep lies to a customers face that's a real problem. When BMW expects the customer to pick up the costs of their blunders that's a real problem. BMW is excellent at attempting to offload the cost of their mistakes onto the dealer network; that's a real problem. How many times did BMW ask me for a dealer "contribution" for warranty work performed? A dealer contribution? Who do they think designed the product? The dealer network? The customer base? Someone once said to me there appears to be a few folks up there in the ivory tower dressed in suits that are actually thugs. Interesting comment.

Read the following link and pay attention to how many of those recall issues were automotive compared to motorcycle. You can find that information down towards the end of the article:
http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2012/02/10/bmw-to-pay-3-million-for-safety-violations/
Yes, folks you read it right: 16 total violations. And, 15 were motorcycle-related? How does that happen? Does BMW care about customer safety? Apparently the fed's think not. Your turn to decide.

A list of vehicles involved follows next:
http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2012/11/21/bmw-recalling-motorcycles-for-potential-fuel-leaks/

Having said all this I am a BMW fan although I skew heavily towards boxer motors. Sometimes I wonder if BMW is using the United States customer base as the last step in research and development. Not saying they are just wondering.

My final comment is this: I recommend BMW's frequently. I do however tell folks that sometimes BMW's will have issues that you wouldn't really anticipate in a $20k motorcycle. As long as you go into the purchase with your eyes open you may be better prepared for the product. Once the initial issues are resolved the bikes turns into quite an excellent product in my eyes. Even if the failure rate is higher than normal typically it is still a minority that will get the opportunity to experience the problem. Of course, with recalls everyone gets the experience.

Motorcycle owners can be a picky bunch. The reality is perfection will never be achieved. Because of having worked either in or with service departments for so many years I know I will experience quality-related issues frequently no matter how hard I reach for perfection. Especially so when you are creating thousands of repair orders a year. Your average customer is usually not quite that understanding. It may not stop my purchase of future BMW's but a potential buyer has the right to know the facts in order to make a decision for themselves. Shame on BMW for their handling of these issues. Arrogance will do that to you.

Making Good

All the afore mentioned thinking is certainly valid.My only sentiment is to make good on these mistakes.Its like the corporate way of saying I'M sorry.Don't place blame just fix it!

Nice concept for the above. However, reality may be a bit different. I am unable to prove or disprove so I won't accuse outright. I have never worked on the OEM side and it is always easy to criticize without any real proof. I have 30 years in the motorcycle industry most of which has been metric. The 30 years also includes a number of years with BMW. I have worked with maybe 15 or so OEM's in all those years. I can tell you that in my opinion BMW NA is the most arrogant, most thick headed of the lot. In order to allow equal press I can also tell you BMW NA thinks I am wrong. I love much of BMW product from motorcycles to clothing to accessories. In fact, it is possible I may never purchase another Japanese motorcycle again due to how much I love boxer motors in particular.

Having said that I have also been amazed at the number of issues on newly released BMW's in particular although it certainly doesn't stop there. And I am the first to understand that mistakes can be made. It is a rare customer that will be as forgiving as myself. But BMW can do a very good job of introducing soon to be broken product. I do not believe the Japanese folks turn out so many problems. But rather than listen to my opinion lets put forth some facts.

BMW was fined millions of dollars a few years ago for failing to report recall issues in a timely manner. Now that's scary! The majority of violations were motorcycles on top of it. The following is a link to the story. Pay special attention to how recent these stories are as each story is dated:

Look towards the end of this story. Out of 16 violations one was automotive and 15 were motorcycle-related. Now you need to realize that recalls are always safety-related. So what happened with BMW here? Is there anyone minding the store? I can't prove it but I totally believe arrogance is at play here. BMW NA's refusal to think that anyone in the chain of events other than themselves could possibly have a point is a real life problem. When a BMW rep lies to your face that's a real problem. When a BMW rep lies to a customers face that's a real problem. When BMW expects the customer to pick up the costs of their blunders that's a real problem. BMW is excellent at attempting to offload the cost of their mistakes onto the dealer network; that's a real problem. How many times did BMW ask me for a dealer "contribution" for warranty work performed? A dealer contribution? Who do they think designed the product? The dealer network? The customer base? Someone once said to me there appears to be a few folks up there in the ivory tower dressed in suits that are actually thugs. Interesting comment.

Read the following link and pay attention to how many of those recall issues were automotive compared to motorcycle. You can find that information down towards the end of the article:
http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2012/02/10/bmw-to-pay-3-million-for-safety-violations/
Yes, folks you read it right: 16 total violations. And, 15 were motorcycle-related? How does that happen? Does BMW care about customer safety? Apparently the fed's think not. Your turn to decide.

A list of vehicles involved follows next:
http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2012/11/21/bmw-recalling-motorcycles-for-potential-fuel-leaks/

Having said all this I am a BMW fan although I skew heavily towards boxer motors. Sometimes I wonder if BMW is using the United States customer base as the last step in research and development. Not saying they are just wondering.

My final comment is this: I recommend BMW's frequently. I do however tell folks that sometimes BMW's will have issues that you wouldn't really anticipate in a $20k motorcycle. As long as you go into the purchase with your eyes open you may be better prepared for the product. Once the initial issues are resolved the bikes turns into quite an excellent product in my eyes. Even if the failure rate is higher than normal typically it is still a minority that will get the opportunity to experience the problem. Of course, with recalls everyone gets the experience.

Motorcycle owners can be a picky bunch. The reality is perfection will never be achieved. Because of having worked either in or with service departments for so many years I know I will experience quality-related issues frequently no matter how hard I reach for perfection. Especially so when you are creating thousands of repair orders a year. Your average customer is usually not quite that understanding. It may not stop my purchase of future BMW's but a potential buyer has the right to know the facts in order to make a decision for themselves. Shame on BMW for their handling of these issues. Arrogance will do that to you.

So what brand(s), in your experience, are the most reliable and also best to deal with when there are problems?

So what brand(s), in your experience, are the most reliable and also best to deal with when there are problems?

I'm not sure there really is a "most reliable". Today's motor vehicle product is pretty darn good. Even Harley despite not being world class IMO is a far cry from decades ago. Despite being extremely picky in business and the need to do what's right I'm really not very picky in my personal life. Years ago I never would have touched a Harley. Today? Not an issue with me despite knowing their probably not the quality equivalent of metric or BMW. I'd rather custom build a fat front tire "Exile" type bike as seen here:

http://www.exilecycles.com/index.php?section=14

I love the looks of the Exile Bulldozer! Obviously not most folks cup of tea but the build is fun, the bike looks bad ass and sounds good. By the way, I have no issue with loud bikes up to a point but I prefer BMW whisper quiet.

Despite BMW recall issues my favorite bikes are as follows:
1) BMW R1200RT
2) BMW R1200RT (yes, again - I love the bike)
3) BMW R1200 RT or a GS (the nod would really go to the RT once again) (I know RT again - once I rode a boxer I fell in love with a boxer)

I truly wonder what the heck goes on at BMW with all their issues. I would still buy their product based on the following: once the initial problem or problems are cleared up the bikes have always been fantastic. Many people would not be willing to put up with that. Yes, you may end up getting stuck with some major repair such as a clutch issue or an ABS pump down the road. While I certainly don't want that to occur I'm willing to risk it because I'm convinced the RT is the finest touring motorcycle in the world for my needs. Can't tell you how much I enjoy touring on a boxer!!

Although I have no interest in Japanese I do believe any of the 4 majors make good stuff. I personally would give the nod to Honda and Yamaha as far as quality of paint and fitment is concerned. I rode Gold Wings for many years and they are a fabulous machine. I'm just not happy with that type of bulk anymore. Too big, too heavy IMO. But seemingly you really can't go wrong with one. I like the new F6B Gold Wing (http://powersports.honda.com/cruiser/2013/gold-wing-f6b.aspx) although I'm not sure I'd be a buyer. It looks a bit too much like some of the Harley's. If you want to look like a Harley I say buy a Harley. I would take the money and build a custom in the configuration discussed earlier. Then ride my RT most of the time and when I'm feeling bad boy hop on the custom.

The metric OEM's are known to have rep's that are far more accommodating than BMW ever dreamed of being. Given the price of BMW ownership that is a sad statement to make.

Triumph has a wonderful line of motorcycles from classics to modern day stuff. I prefer the classics. Triumph has gone out of their way a number of times in order to accommodate a customer. The exact total opposite of BMW and perhaps the best to work with of all when it comes to warranty issues. Except for dealer warranty reimbursement. If you're lucky you end up with approximately 50% to 60% reimbursement compared to what the repair is actually worth. But that won't affect the customer. If you're the dealer and you care about the customer the shortage is all part of the gig. They don't break often enough to really make it an issue IMO.

There it is... the world according to me, for whatever that's worth. Feel free to season to taste.

I own a RT. For the most part I love the bike. The only complaints I have are: What I would call a lot of driveline lash, a lot of throttle lash and I hate the mirrors, but that is easy to fix(seat too). I tried adjusting the throttle cables at the grip, but it didn't help much and it could use a quick turn throttle, if you know what I mean. I've heard the throttle by wire on the GS is a lot better. That said, the ergos on the new RT look more sporty and less adjustable, meaning look at the handlebars. If I ever get another BMW, it'll be a GSA. It fits me a lot better.

Back