• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bing Carb rebuild

ba-heed

Hi, I am rebuilding the Bings on my 1980 R100RT. All going well so far with the rebuild kit from Bing, then I found that on one carb that tiny hair spring clip that holds the float needle to the float frame is missing.
I imagine that the float and needle were operating without it okay but I don't want to put it back like that.
I cannot see it in any of the kits or Bing spares from the usual suspects!
Does anybody know what kit I must buy to get one of these? shall I make one? Nooo
Thanks and my very best to you all , Steve Ba-Heed.

I never throw anything away. I have the little spring clip left from a previous refurbishment and you can have it. PM time.

Hi, I am rebuilding the Bings on my 1980 R100RT. All going well so far with the rebuild kit from Bing, then I found that on one carb that tiny hair spring clip that holds the float needle to the float frame is missing.
I imagine that the float and needle were operating without it okay but I don't want to put it back like that.
Does anybody know what kit I must buy to get one of these? shall I make one? Nooo

When I was rebuilding my 32mm Bings off a 1989 R100RT had the same thing happen by having the Lock Spring Bing (64-2 & 64-3) Bing Part # 47-968. Usually it is me that misplaces these things, but I have a feeling the PO is guilty of this one.

Go to any BMW dealer and ask them to order you a BMW part # 13 111 335 320. My cost was about $2.56 each Canadian. Make sure you tell them what model and year so that you get the correct mm sized Bing Carb part. I am not sure if they are interchangeable between a 32mm verses a 40mm. I ordered two extra, due to my compulsive habit of making sure i have extra bits and pieces available.

Good luck!

Last edited:
bing carb rebuild

Krpntr, I am going to send you a stamped addressed envelope and the cost of the part just for the provenance of the clip and to prove that you kept it for a reason.
Please take pleasure in the fact that your clip will soon be back in a carburetor thumping its way through the Florida orange groves.
If you would kindly Text your street address to to me at Steve Heaney Cell # (954) 648 0169 thanks so much , Steve the Heed
B25 Thank you for those numbers best regards - Heed

I'm getting ready to rebuild the carbs on my 1990 R100RT. The bike has set for 13 years. Not real sure where to start. One thing I know is the choke was set-up on both carbs(would not move until I sprayed with penetrating oil)
Any help on where to begin?

When I was rebuilding my 32mm Bings off a 1989 R100RT had the same thing happen by having the Lock Spring Bing (64-2 & 64-3) Bing Part # 47-968. Usually it is me that misplaces these things, but I have a feeling the PO is guilty of this one.

Go to any BMW dealer and ask them to order yoiu a BMW part # 13 111 335 320. My cost was about $2.56 each Canadian. Make sure you tell them what model and year so that you get the correct mm sized Bing Carb part. I am not sure if they are interchangeable between a 32mm verses a 40mm. I ordered two extra, due to my compulsive habit of making sure i have extra bits and pieces available.

Good luck!

Ah yes, small expensive parts like these can easily get lost. Best way to ensure you wont lose them is to buy extras. Murphy (of Murphy's Law) will make sure you do not lose either of them. That way you'll be kicking yourself as to why you spent the money on the items. Of course if you don't buy extras, they'll fling across the room and get lost in corner.

There are a number of articles in the resource section (see my sig line) under Carb Tuning and Overhaul.

Also, if you look in this thread "Rebuild Sites":

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?50991-Rebuild-Sites-with-Photos

and search for the word "carb" you'll find three good resources and visuals on carb overhauls.

20774, Thanks for the help. I have a rebuild kit coming from Bing and a quart of Red-Kote for the gas tank recoat. Project is starting to get fun.
1der

Back