• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Who has an aftermarket seat? 2013 R1200RT

Do you have/use an aftermarket seat?

• NO: I'm using the stock seat

Votes: 37 27.8%
  • YES: I have an aftermarket seat

Votes: 96 72.2%

• Total voters

CRUZER

I'm finding the seat on my new R1200RT quite uncomfortable after only 220 miles. I'm normally pretty easy to please seatwise, 5'10" and 170 lbs, but this thing is giving me butt burn already. Anyway, I'd like find out how many of you have gone to an aftermarket seat solution, then of those who did what seat they bought. This poll is for aftermarket seat only. Once we get that number then I'll post another one on WHICH option folks chose.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Who has an aftermarket seat?

Russell Day Long - best money I've ever spent. 700+ mile days and still ready to ride.

I went with a Russell Day Long for the sidecar rig; it's good for 14 hour plus days and when I stop for the day it's not my bum complaining.

But the RDL wings really interfered with my off road riding. (In order to scoot back for downhills while standing on the pegs I had to adopt the "bow-legged as a hooker after the fleet pulls in" stance, which for me was exceptionally uncomfortable.) So for the GS -- which is nicely setup for back roads and dirt trails -- I use a Kahedo saddle. It's narrower up front than a Sargent so stops are easier with my short legs.

Rick Mayer

I'm your size. RDL is overkill. I liked RM but I waited too long and when it came it was minus the paid for embroidery I ordered. Other then that it's a great seat and well worthwhile the $. I got leather and I am satisfied.

Before investing big bucks in a custom seat (the popular brands will all improve comfort whichever you end up with), I'd highly recommend trying a set of beads from Beadrider http://www.beadrider.com/ . The Iron Butt camp has reached the same conclusion. Think about what what might hurt the most while riding a 1,000 miles. The topic of an uncomfortable butt will never be an issue when riding with beads.

There are contingencies for the Sargeant, Russell, and several Mayer family saddles. A friend couldn't stand his stock GS saddle within an hour and switched to a Corbin. My stock wasn't that bad but I got a Sargeant. The Sargeant was not a great improvement. I got a Butt Buffer gel pad and it helped a bit. Then I got the newest AirHawk R and it worked. Not great, but it did work. I then went to Mean City Cycles in Maiden, NC. http://www.meancitycycles.com/ They did a two layer replacement of my stock foam with the bottom layber being denser than the top. They discussed my seating issues and formed the layers to fit my butt. $150 later I have seat that gives me all day comfort. For me, those Russell and Mayer saddles just don't allow me to move around like I want to. That custom cut dual layer looks almost exactly like stock but the pressure points don't develop like on the stock saddle.

I've had Corbin seats on two of my Airheads and on my K1200RS. Always a great improvement from the stock seats for me and my passenger.

Even with the Corbin's, I found it helped to change the pressure points on long days (500-1,100 miles). The older I get, the more frequently I need to change what I am sitting on.

I have tried sheep skins, gel seats, Airhawk, and beaded seats. I did not care for the gel. The sheep skin was helpful until it rained...hard to get dry and weighed a lot (I was using a full sheep skin minus head and feet) that took care of me and my passenger.

I had a Russel/Mayer looking seat that came on my /5. The seat was comfortable, but held water for days after a good rain or even heavy morning dew. Don''t know who made that one, but I traded it for a stock seat. I do not think it was made by either Russel or Mayer.

If I am going on an extended trip with long days, I now take both the Airhawk and beaded seats. If I start to get sore, I change what I am sitting on when I get fuel. I change more frequently as the day progresses.

If I am going for just a couple days, I take the beaded seat and it is sufficient. The other advantages of the beaded seat are the cooling effect in hot weather and how quickly things dry out after rain. Also, sliding around on the beaded seat while riding is a fairly good butt massage :)

Had an 01 GS. Everyone I knew hated and replaced the seat with something custom. I raised the front with spacers and could ride all day with no problem. On my 08 RT I replaced the stock seat within a month with a Corbin. Everybody is different so figure out what works for you. If there is a custom seat maker close to you they are probably your best bet because it's a face to face conversation. Good luck.

Seats on 12R1200RT

Seats are highly subjective and IMHO nobody's rear is the same. I have a Corbin on my Airhead
and love it. I rode my airhead to the Dealer when I picked up my RT (2 hours) I found the RT seat to be very uncomfortable
after about 1/2 hour on the ride home. Got a hold of a Bill Mayer seat 2nd hand the next week and have never looked back. The B Mayer seat is quite comfy but I do find I like the "harder" Corbin. The Corbin is leather which I prefer as well.
Though both the Corbin and B Mayer seats are "custom" neither was "customized" for my rear. Not sure what to draw from that except you could try the flea market and maybe save some duckets.

I'm finding the seat on my new R1200RT quite uncomfortable after only 220 miles. I'm normally pretty easy to please seatwise, 5'10" and 170 lbs, but this thing is giving me butt burn already. Anyway, I'd like find out how many of you have gone to an aftermarket seat solution, then of those who did what seat they bought. This poll is for aftermarket seat only. Once we get that number then I'll post another one on WHICH option folks chose.
Thanks!

And you really thought you could collect raw data first - and then slip in an additional post for the testimonials?!

I have voted in your poll, and yes - I went with an aftermarket product on my R1200RT. Which one? Irrelevant - find the one you're happy with and that's the best one.

Good luck. :wave

seats

I have 2 bikes and both have been fitted with Rick Mayer seats - do the research to see the difference between the brothers and the whys.
Rick Mayer not only knows what he is doing but he stands behind the product so that he will re-do, re-make or make sure you are happy. My 2 seats are pushing 275k miles and are very comfortable.
I have done 2 x 10 n 10s with MERA an countless single and multiple days rallies. I think I speak with confidence.
If I could recommend one thing, regardless where you purchase your saddle, do a ride-in. Go to the shop; have them fit the saddle; ride around for a few hours before they put the finishing touches to it then pay your money and you will be happy. :brad

Before investing big bucks in a custom seat (the popular brands will all improve comfort whichever you end up with), I'd highly recommend trying a set of beads from Beadrider http://www.beadrider.com/ . The Iron Butt camp has reached the same conclusion. Think about what what might hurt the most while riding a 1,000 miles. The topic of an uncomfortable butt will never be an issue when riding with beads.

+1!

I have several. Sargent, Corbin, Rick Mayer. For me, the Corbin keeps me on the bike all day, while the others are dramatic improvements over oem, the Corbin is hands down better than the other two for me.

At 6'5", 265, the key is seat width, increasing the contact area, distribute the weight, and foam density. Almost everyone will complain on the first couple of days that Corbin's are too hard, but that is by design. Once broken in, very comfortable.
Another key is the custom metal seat pan, you can only do so much on the oem plastic pan.

The Corbin is a new seat, the others that I own are foam makeovers of the oem seat. Not a fair comparison in my book.

That is my story.

Lastly, I am not naming names, but one of the vendors in this thread has very slow delivery, held my deposit for 8 months, required months of calls and follow up. It was the worst transaction of my life taking almost a year to complete.. So ask a lot of questions. It sucks to be without your seat and your money for 5 months no matter how cheap the vendor might seem. This was on a standard order, nothing special, from their website.

I have a Sargent custom low seat (symphony vinyl, no welts, no logo) on my 05 RT. I use an Alaskan sheep skin on mine, and it was a great improvement over the stock seat. I can do 750+ miles with no problems.
DSC_0077.jpg

Last edited:
Lastly, I am not naming names, but one of the vendors in this thread has very slow delivery, held my deposit for 8 months, required months of calls and follow up. It was the worst transaction of my life taking almost a year to complete.. So ask a lot of questions. It sucks to be without your seat and your money for 5 months no matter how cheap the vendor might seem. This was on a standard order, nothing special, from their website.
Why not name names? As long as the information is factual then it benefits us all.

Why not name names? As long as the information is factual then it benefits us all.

I thought long and hard about it. I was so mad I sat down and wrote a 6 page account with emails, dates, broken promises and outright lies. Then I thought about the last few years, the pain small business has gone thru, and maybe they just screwed this one up. You can bet that none of my riding group will ever order from them. They did come clean in the end about their troubles and apologized.
So, I chose the high road.
If you are about to place an order and really want the details, I will share privately, but to memorialize my experience here seems unnecessary.
A warning seemed prudent.

Corbin saddle + Smuggler

I purchased a used Corbin and it changed my comfortable ride time from about 2 hours to 8+ (basically endless). I also have the Corbin Smuggler, a convenient but expensive addition if you don't ride 2 up.

Attachments

• P8050157.jpg
    P8050157.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 222
Back