View Poll Results: Do you have/use an aftermarket seat?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO: I'm using the stock seat

35 25.74%
  • YES: I have an aftermarket seat

101 74.26%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who has an aftermarket seat? 2013 R1200RT

Hybrid View

Who has an aftermarket seat? 2013 R1200RT

I'm finding the seat on my new R1200RT quite uncomfortable after only 220 miles. I'm normally pretty easy to please seatwise, 5'10" and 170 lbs, but this thing is giving me butt burn already. Anyway, I'd like find out how many of you have gone to an aftermarket seat solution, then of those who did what seat they bought. This poll is for aftermarket seat only. Once we get that number then I'll post another one on WHICH option folks chose.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by deilenberger; 03-24-2013 at 05:55 AM. Reason: added year/model to title
    Randy
    CURRENT: R1200GSW, R75/7
    PAST BMWs: 2013 R1200RT, 2002 R1150RT, 1982 R100RS, 1993 K1100RS, 1993 K1100LT, 1989 R100RT, 1978 R80/7

Who has an aftermarket seat?

Russell Day Long - best money I've ever spent. 700+ mile days and still ready to ride.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I went with a Russell Day Long for the sidecar rig; it's good for 14 hour plus days and when I stop for the day it's not my bum complaining.

But the RDL wings really interfered with my off road riding. (In order to scoot back for downhills while standing on the pegs I had to adopt the "bow-legged as a hooker after the fleet pulls in" stance, which for me was exceptionally uncomfortable.) So for the GS -- which is nicely setup for back roads and dirt trails -- I use a Kahedo saddle. It's narrower up front than a Sargent so stops are easier with my short legs.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Rick Mayer

I'm your size. RDL is overkill. I liked RM but I waited too long and when it came it was minus the paid for embroidery I ordered. Other then that it's a great seat and well worthwhile the $. I got leather and I am satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by savategreg View Post
    I'm your size. RDL is overkill. I liked RM but I waited too long and when it came it was minus the paid for embroidery I ordered. Other then that it's a great seat and well worthwhile the $. I got leather and I am satisfied.
    Same thing happened to me. Ordered, and paid for, a seat with embroidery. Embroidery never came. Sent mail to Rick about discomfort and was told I should lose weight. Not a fan. They look nice though.

Russell has gotten my money twice and will get it again at some point. If you happen to be in California or close enough that you could ride there, I would suggest paying the extra money and getting a ride-in apointment. They'll make it that day while you wait.

+1 Russell... all that needs to be said....

Quote Originally Posted by Dmftoy1 View Post
    Russell Day Long - best money I've ever spent. 700+ mile days and still ready to ride.
    +1
    08RT

Russell Day Long. For me at least, there isn't any other saddle.
    J.R., 2012 RT
    MOA #186976
    IBA #42334

Before investing big bucks in a custom seat (the popular brands will all improve comfort whichever you end up with), I'd highly recommend trying a set of beads from Beadrider http://www.beadrider.com/ . The Iron Butt camp has reached the same conclusion. Think about what what might hurt the most while riding a 1,000 miles. The topic of an uncomfortable butt will never be an issue when riding with beads.

There are contingencies for the Sargeant, Russell, and several Mayer family saddles. A friend couldn't stand his stock GS saddle within an hour and switched to a Corbin. My stock wasn't that bad but I got a Sargeant. The Sargeant was not a great improvement. I got a Butt Buffer gel pad and it helped a bit. Then I got the newest AirHawk R and it worked. Not great, but it did work. I then went to Mean City Cycles in Maiden, NC. http://www.meancitycycles.com/ They did a two layer replacement of my stock foam with the bottom layber being denser than the top. They discussed my seating issues and formed the layers to fit my butt. $150 later I have seat that gives me all day comfort. For me, those Russell and Mayer saddles just don't allow me to move around like I want to. That custom cut dual layer looks almost exactly like stock but the pressure points don't develop like on the stock saddle.
    Old But Not Dead
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by RTRandy View Post
    Before investing big bucks in a custom seat (the popular brands will all improve comfort whichever you end up with), I'd highly recommend trying a set of beads from Beadrider http://www.beadrider.com/ . The Iron Butt camp has reached the same conclusion. Think about what what might hurt the most while riding a 1,000 miles. The topic of an uncomfortable butt will never be an issue when riding with beads.
    +1!
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by RTRANDY View Post
    +1 great product!

Mind is not for rent
    Every butt is different. I can last about an hour on beads. I hated the Airhawk so much I sent it back for a refund.

Had a Corbin on my Ultra Limited, and it was nothing short of amazing for all-day rides. Had a Sargent on my RT, and it was an improvement over stock, but still got painful after 5 hours or so. I got a Touratech/Kahedo "High" seat for the Adventure and haven't looked back. I've Iron Butted with it a couple of times, and can't complain about it at all (though it's not as comfortable as the Ultra/Corbin combination). A Russell might be ultimately more comfortable over the long haul, but they look ridiculous on GS/As, and they severely limit how you move around on the bike in off-road or aggressive riding situations.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
    I'm finding the seat on my new R1200RT quite uncomfortable after only 220 miles. I'm normally pretty easy to please seatwise, 5'10" and 170 lbs, but this thing is giving me butt burn already. Anyway, I'd like find out how many of you have gone to an aftermarket seat solution, then of those who did what seat they bought. This poll is for aftermarket seat only. Once we get that number then I'll post another one on WHICH option folks chose.
    Thanks!
    And you really thought you could collect raw data first - and then slip in an additional post for the testimonials?!

I have voted in your poll, and yes - I went with an aftermarket product on my R1200RT. Which one? Irrelevant - find the one you're happy with and that's the best one.

Good luck.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle & High Performance Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Who has an aftermarket seat?

I have several. Sargent, Corbin, Rick Mayer. For me, the Corbin keeps me on the bike all day, while the others are dramatic improvements over oem, the Corbin is hands down better than the other two for me.

At 6'5", 265, the key is seat width, increasing the contact area, distribute the weight, and foam density. Almost everyone will complain on the first couple of days that Corbin's are too hard, but that is by design. Once broken in, very comfortable.
    Another key is the custom metal seat pan, you can only do so much on the oem plastic pan.

The Corbin is a new seat, the others that I own are foam makeovers of the oem seat. Not a fair comparison in my book.

That is my story.

Lastly, I am not naming names, but one of the vendors in this thread has very slow delivery, held my deposit for 8 months, required months of calls and follow up. It was the worst transaction of my life taking almost a year to complete.. So ask a lot of questions. It sucks to be without your seat and your money for 5 months no matter how cheap the vendor might seem. This was on a standard order, nothing special, from their website.
    Lynn
    2008 BMW R1200RT (most fun you can legally have)
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys