• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rt on the North Road in Quebec?

T-foiler

Do you think a Rt can do the north road in Quebec? I would be doing this in late June, and am wondering if the graders would still be making it a soft and fluffy GS road only.
thanks for your views,
Paul

Do you think a Rt can do the north road in Quebec? I would be doing this in late June, and am wondering if the graders would still be making it a soft and fluffy GS road only.
thanks for your views,
Paul

Hi Paul
I am sending you 2nd hand info....Talking to some gents last summer about this subject. They had been there and.... they told me that my GS would be a good fit for the road but I was advised to put on a good set of knobbies. They had said that the gravel road gets to be challenging at times.....depending on the grading. I was also told by a different person ( who lives in Sept Ilse) , that the quebec govmnt is still working on this road which may be paved all the way through in 3 or 4 years...I am not so sure about this one, but if someone out there knows, please keep me posted.
Rob.

thanks for your views,
Paul
I've only been very occasionnally on gravel roads with my RT (which I am now trading for the new 2012 R1200 GS LC) fitted with Michelin PR3, and I hated it. Uncomfortable, wobbly and scary. It's okay for a few kms if you don't have the choice, but I would never do more than that. That being said, I have no idea in what state this road is. But judging by the terrible state of disrepair most Quebec roads are kept in these days (years) I wouldn't bet the farm on improvement. I may be wrong, though.

I just completed a solo trip of the Trans-Lab highway, departing from ON turning north at Baie Comeau and returning via Newfoundland, Cape Breton, NB, ME, NH, and VT on a GSA 1200 with Tourance tires instead of knobbies.

I was on a tight time schedule. I encountered various kinds of gravel (wet, dry, fine, chunky, deep, shallow, loosely and falsely filling some potholes, clay like appearance / feel in places, whiteouts at times (when gravel was dry with heavy truck traffic), slick at times (when wet and freshly ploughed) etc. The nature / condition of the gravel portions of the road changed rapidly, without warning.

Significant portions of the TLH are nicely paved - black asphalt with not a crack in it. I have no doubt that the gravel portions in QC and Labrador will be fully paved within a few years.

All of that said, it was definitely an adventure and I'm glad I had the GS and not an RT.

Back