• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Getting Hero 3 Need Advice Memory & Mounts

BMW Triumphant

Ed Kilner #176066
Q: is 48 GB enough? That's 2 hours of video, but I was thinking of stills.

Q: what frequency of stills seem to work for you?

Q: I recall reading about mounts last year, but are there any new ideas, lessons learned?

And, of course I'm interested in your advice, lessons learned, etc.

WalterK75: need a video of your bike? See you in April for some riding, if you like.

I don't have one, but was doing a lot of reading about them at Xmas time since I was thinking about getting one. The one thing that jumps out at me in your questions is about storage space. I remember thinking that battery life was going to be more of an issue than storage. So I'd recommend you have several charged batteries with you.

I have a hero2 I use the 64GB memory card in it (found a good deal on newegg for one) & also use the battery bacpac.

I once ran it for over 3hrs recording on highest resolution w/ no issues. Although it took forever to edit/ render all the video down to something I wanted to share w/ people.

As for mounts, I have heard of people using the Ram mount for bike attachment. I strap mine to my person most of the time.

I dont use it for stills, I usually just use my cell for those or cut single images from the video.

GoPro mount

I carry a spare battery and memory card, just in case. Haven't used it for stills, so can't say.

As for mounting, I use the suction cup mount and attach to my windshield. At first I attached it close to bottom of windshield, but have eventually moved it higher, up to near the top. The whole rig is so small that it doesn't block your view, and the camera view from up high is better than down low....IMHO.

Thanks. The LCD back really sucks up battery power. The tiny polymer batteries are understandably the weak link.

Off to Los Vegas and then to Montery by the Sea. Will try it out in both places.

RT stays home this trip.

I was close to purchase of a Hero 3 when they first came out around the holiday's but there was so many negative reviews (check out REI's Website for reviews of this product), mostly from Hero 2 owners that I've held back. Not sure if it's because they felt the company missed the mark on needed improvements (like the battery duration) or just making it more complex or different than it had to be. They seemed to have a sure winner with the Hero 2 beating out all the other competition. Waiting for those 1st adaptors to get used to it as I still want one but...

mike wex
'96 r1100rt

Well, I have been looking at them for a while. Almost bought one last year and sorry I didn't. It would have been great on the western part of my tour last year. First time in the mountains and did not want to pull U-turns or get too close to the edge!

Hero 3

I have the same concerns as Stagewex. I'm interested to hear your reviews of the Hero 3 on your trip. I'd love to own one if it works as advertised.

Back