• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Kid's Ride 2005 - Update

DougGrosjean

Just a quick update / reminder - the Kid's Ride 2005 is still on. Been busy, but didn't want anybody to think I'd forgotten.

It'll be based out of the BMW MOA Rally at the Lima, Ohio fairgrounds in western Ohio; on July 23rd 2005.

The MOA has asked me to do a seminar on motorcycling with children....
since I'm going to be at the rally just short-term (Friday PM, Saturday PM, head home Sunday AM), I asked for a slot from 8:00a-9:00a Saturday morning for the seminar, and then having the Kid's Ride leave at 9:00a from where the lecture is held.

Did this for two reasons:

1. Kid's Ride people can find me easily.

2. Any Kid's Ride people that would like to come by a bit before the
start of the ride, say around 8:30a, could help me field questions and
show how *they* take their kids riding. I figure there's more than one
way to do just about anything....

Hoping some of the ride participants are willing to show up early with kids and gear, but if not it's not a biggie - I'm OK by myself too. Just wanted to show at the seminar more than just my way of doing things.

The ride itself is shaping up like this:

Head out of Lima at 9a.

Head south to New Bremmen, Ohio... more or less along OH-66, which follows remnants of the old Miami & Erie Canal. New Bremen is a former canal town, has a canal lock right in the middle of town, and a bicycle museum with 200 bicycles. I've peered in the windows, and it looks pretty
interesting...

Then continue south on OH-66 to Lockington / Piqua area. At Lockington, a section of the canal has been restored, and rides in a mule-drawn canal boat are available. There's also a working farm museum we could visit, depending on interest kevel of the group.

Then east to Urbana, to Freshwater Fish Farms, where the kids can feed fish and pet tame sturgeon. The sturgeon (sturgeons? ...there's more than one) snuggle right up to your hand when you put it in the water. Strange and fun.

Then depending on time, *maybe* catch a tour over at Zane Caverns. Was thinking that might be interesting for the above-ground Native American displays as well, even though some of us toured the cavern last year on the first Kid's Ride.

Navigation and restaurants are open to debate while on the fly. I figure half of us are adults, that I'm simply a guide and not a boss, and leaving those two items open to debate worked really well last year with auto-route on GPS taking us all down roads we'd never seen before. I really enjoyed that, actually. Felt like the best rides I've ever had, ie, not overly-scheduled, rather carefree.

Then back to the Lima fairgrounds, and put together a group cookout that night with whatever we can find. Lima is nearby for supplies.

My SO Sharon may be at the rally Saturday PM as well, and if so I can bring down a Coleman stove in her car to help with cook chores.

FWIW, Sharon's birthday is a couple days before the rally, so we'll probably spend some time out on the town Friday PM. Or George Thorogood is playing Friday at 6p at the rally, so that's a possibility as well.

There's about a half-dozen parents so far who've said they'll take part in the ride. When the date gets closer, I'll be glad to share my cellphone number, in the hopes of hooking up and maybe camping together, so the kids have other kids to visit / play with.

Also, for the parents / kids, from the "What you get" page:

Youth Events: A place for teens to hang out with each other.

Children's Events: Variety of activities for those 5-12 years of age while their parent(s) attend tech sessions and seminars.

Best,
Doug Grosjean
Luckey, Ohio
www.douggrosjean.com

Howdy Doug and All:

Thanks for all your efforts here.

Nick and I are really looking forward to it.

Nick is 11.

Anybody else bringing children with them????

aea6574 said:
Howdy Doug and All:

Thanks for all your efforts here.

Nick and I are really looking forward to it.

Nick is 11.

Anybody else bringing children with them????

Tony / Nick,

There's about 8 bikes on the Kid's Ride at this point. I know about half the people from the IBMWR list and from F2F meetings in the past. You, Leon, Larry Sabo are the few I really know.

Others sound experienced at taking kids riding, which is great.

We won't be there till Friday around about late supper time, so don't worry when you don't see us there at the start of the rally mid-week. Just can't do it, already had other things planned with my vaca and it was a bit late to change course.

Doug

Me and Kyle (8 year old) just got to Ohio (visiting inlaws). We are looking forward to the ride.

Michael

Doug-
I will be up with my son Austin on Thursday but dont know if we will stick around for a Sat morning ride. We might be heading home. In any event, I have some of his old gear (helmets, jackets, etc...) I could bring it up and donate it for some other kids if you think its a good idea. I will have a trailer behind the LT so it will not be an issue to carry the extra items. Let me know if you want me to bring it up. Also, are the riders with kids going to camp in the same place. Might be nice for the kids ot get together. Hanging with Dad isnt always the best time.
Thanks,
Jim Sciullo
Dublin, OH

Unregistered said:
Doug-
I will be up with my son Austin on Thursday but dont know if we will stick around for a Sat morning ride. We might be heading home. In any event, I have some of his old gear (helmets, jackets, etc...) I could bring it up and donate it for some other kids if you think its a good idea. I will have a trailer behind the LT so it will not be an issue to carry the extra items. Let me know if you want me to bring it up. Also, are the riders with kids going to camp in the same place. Might be nice for the kids ot get together. Hanging with Dad isnt always the best time.
Thanks,
Jim Sciullo
Dublin, OH

Regarding bringing gear that Austin has outgrown, sure - probably be best to bring it by the Riding w/ Kids seminar at 8:00 AM Saturday.

Regarding camping and hanging out with other kids, here's the latest from Sue R-M. I'd written and asked if there was a Family Camping section, here's her reply.

> Hi Sue,
> Were you able to get a sign or two made up for family camping area?

Signs should go up on Tuesday, near the horse shoe courts in the shade.
Sue

========================================

So the early arrivals should just look for the "Family Camping" signs, and
with a little luck we'll all end up together.

Jean-Luc and I will be there Friday evening, my SO Sharon will be with us
as well. We'll be arriving on an Airhead GS and a Honda CRV; Sharon will
be headed home after the seminar in the CRV.

See you there!

Doug

Sunday, after the Kid's Ride...

Anybody else up for a quick trip to the AMA motorcycle museum over in
Pickerington / Columbus, followed by a meal at Quaker Steak and Lube in
Delaware, Ohio?

Hours are 9-5, for admission info see:
http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/about/hours.asp

Yeah, Tony and Nick got me and Jean-Luc addicted to Quaker Steak stuff
last year - we've been there twice since...

Kid Ride

Doug,

I just confirmed with son Jim (11) that we will be joining you guys for the ride on Saturday. We will do what you suggested and come over for your seminar. I have a small RV already set up in Lima and after work today, I am Rally bound for the duration. I will have my SO joining me tomorrow and leaving Friday am. I will then ride up to Fremont, IN to pick up Jim and he will stay with me for the rest of the weekend. The RV is loaded to the gills so if you need ? for the cookout, let me know. There is a good chance it may be on the property. Site#64.
Thanks,

John Diehl

Diehly said:
Doug,
I just confirmed with son Jim (11) that we will be joining you guys for the ride on Saturday. We will do what you suggested and come over for your seminar. I have a small RV already set up in Lima and after work today, I am Rally bound for the duration. I will have my SO joining me tomorrow and leaving Friday am. I will then ride up to Fremont, IN to pick up Jim and he will stay with me for the rest of the weekend. The RV is loaded to the gills so if you need ? for the cookout, let me know. There is a good chance it may be on the property. Site#64.
Thanks, John Diehl

Good to have you along.

There's about 8 families going along at this point, just FYI.

I don't know if we'll have a use for anything in the RV or not, but the offer is appreciated!

I'll be arriving on Friday evening with my son Jean-Luc, while my SO Sharon will be arriving quite a bit earlier than that on Friday afternoon. Friday is her birthday, so we'll be going out Friday PM to celebrate a bit. But not *too* much - morning comes fast.

Welcome, and See you there!

From the organizers, regarding Family Camping signs:

"this did not work out as well as I had expected. After booting 3 parties off that area, I did not get back there often enough. By Tuesday evening, there were 25 tents in the area I was thinking of for you. I am sorry...."

So we're back to square one on how to meet at the rally on Friday.

My cellphone is 313.434.2699, evenings.
Daytime, work, is 419.547.2126 till about 400-430p.

Jean-Luc and I won't be leaving for the rally until Friday afternoon, and for all I know this issue is already solved by people who are already there.

If somebody there has a nice camping area for all of us, could you give me a call?

If not, I'll see everybody Saturday morning.

Back