• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lubricants for 600 mile service

CRUZER

I know, everyone has an opinion on oils, but I take delivery of my new '13 R1200RT tomorrow and live 3 hours away so I want to make sure I have the right supplies on hand to do that service myself.

TRANSMISSION and FINAL DRIVE:
My understanding is that both the transmission and final drive use 75w-90 GL5 synthic gear oil, correct? I would normally default to Mobil 1 here since it is widely available and well regarded, any issue with that other than personal preference?

ENGINE:
Are most of you using JASO MA (motorcycle specific) engine oil even though the transmission and clutch are not lubricated by the engine oil? Who's making BMW oil these days? (used to be Spectro a decade or so ago)

Don't mean to start "another oil thread" but the search feature didn't produce much on this.

BMW is selling a final drive oil labeled C-SAF-XO SAE 75-90 API GL5. I have no idea if it's any differend than any other GL5 out there.

This is lifted fro the 2012 BMW R1200GS manual

SAE 5W-40 Engine oil for motorcycles with dry clutch, API SF/
ACEA A2, or better
.-4 ?üÔÇ?F (.-20 ?üÔÇ?C)
SAE 5W-.50 Engine oil for motorcycles with dry clutch, API SF/
ACEA A2, or better
.-4 ?üÔÇ?F (.-20 ?üÔÇ?C)
SAE 10W-40 Engine oil for motorcycles with dry clutch, API SF/
ACEA A2, or better
.14 ?üÔÇ?F (.-10 ?üÔÇ?C)
SAE 10W-.50 Engine oil for motorcycles with dry clutch, API SF/
ACEA A2, or better
.-4 ?üÔÇ?F (.-20 ?üÔÇ?C)
SAE 15W-.40 Engine oil for motorcycles with dry clutch, API SF/
ACEA A2, or better
.32 ?üÔÇ?F (.0 ?üÔÇ?C)
Engine oil, quantity for topping up max 0.5 quarts (max 0.5 l), Difference between
MIN and MAX

Dunno specifically about the 1200s, but:
for the 1100s and 1150s:
Same stuff is fine in the tranny.
Lots of opinions about what works "best", but the tranny is less picky than what is needed in the rear drive (which does require the GL-5 hypoid rating); some of us use 75-140 red synthetic in the tranny with zero issues. I like the different color in case of a leak or a bad seal - the different color makes it easier to tell where it's coming from.

BMW doesn't call for the SAF-XO in the transmission . MY dealer uses Synthetic 75W-90 GL 5. My 2008 RT repair manual calls for SAE 90 GL 5

Back