• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Michelin Anakee 3 install feedback

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
Was going to post in Hexheads in one of the tire threads...but not just a one model tire.

Mounted a set of Anakee 3's on a buds GSA yesterday...woof! The owner is a LD/IBA rider and will give some tire performance soon.

These tires were some of the hardest to install, thought I was putting a ME880 on a LT or a Wing! Have many sets of tires installed to compare to in effort...these were way high on the effort needed.

The air temp was around 50 and we set the tires on a sunny surface to warm them up prior. Using a NoMar machine, still needed the spoon bars to flip the last bit of bead in place. The sidewalls seem to be way stiffer than previous generations of the Anakee's...which I believe I read somewhere as well.

I'll get another try in a few week when I install the set I have for my bike. Haven't worn out the PR3's quite yet.
If you are installing on the floor with small tire irons...have fun:whistle

Just mounted a set on my 04 GS, didn't think they went on any harder than then A2's. Did it in a heated garage but the the tires were cold. Very interested in the milege I'll get from them, the set of A2's that came off had 13,500 miles on them and just hit the wear bars. Looks like the A3';s should be a smoother road tire. The temp's ( Pa. ) are to be in the 50's this weekend and I should be able to try them out.

milage on the 3's?Thinking about them for my gs12.Ed

Too early for any feedback from instalee.

Tire wear is touted as "improved" from A2's in the marketing hype.
I see some guys go as far as tomtietjen...but for me, never got over 8-9K on the rear...maybe an occasional 12K on the front. When I used Tourances...I had no rear tread after 6K on average on the heavy GSA. On the F650 Thumper...they keep on going:thumb

It's all about road types and rider style...to many variables. RoboRider and pffog shred tires even faster than I do.

I change mine when the bike tells me it's not happy in the twisties or rain:laugh

for those who have not seen the difference in the tires, here is a side by shot. The 3's are in the center

Attachments

• ANAKEE 2 3.jpg
    ANAKEE 2 3.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 7,318
I have a pair of A3's to tear up in the Smokey's at the end of April, we will see how they do. The 800GS being lighter than the R11S was, I am expecting better tire life. I will see i I can be the first to burn off a set :D

I just put on an Anakee 2 yesterday and like the one I put on before, getting them on the wheel wasn't an issue, getting them to pop into the bead was a super b-tch. It was between 40 and 45 degrees and I started on Saturday and didn't get it to pop until Sunday evening. Took it totally off and re-lubed it a second time. Took it to a tire store for a higher capacity air compressor. Nothing was working. Took it in the house and put it in front of the fire place and got it up to about 75 degrees. That didn't work either but I think it helped with final solution. Took a squeeze bottle filled with GoJo that had a long pointy end on it and shot the GoJo right in between the rim bead and tire. Used a small brush to put the GoJo deeper into the gap between the tire and rim. FINALLY, it popped. Anyone know if the wire wheels are harder to mount than the cast wheels???

Back