• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dual Plugging with Electronic ignition

LCampbell

I have a vintage racing sidecar that is powered by a BMW 750 twin. The heads are dual plugged but I am only using one set of plugs with the points in a can ignition. I want to get the second set of plugs working & I am thinking of using the BMW 81 & on electronic ignition. I think the ignition sensor (canister) will fit in the same location as the points in the can do. I think I need to use the Dyna 1.5 Ohm coils (brown) with wire type plug wires & 5.0K ohm resistor caps. Is this doable?
The part # on the ignition control unit I have is 12 14 1 244 477 (It came out of a 91 R100GS) & doesn't match the part # in the latest parts fische. Is this an old part number?
Are there any sketches or wiring diagrams on hooking up the wiring to the dual plug setup?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The points can and the electronic can do physically interchange. All the airhead electronic cans also electronically interchange with each other. You would also need the ignitor, which sits on top of the frame where your brake master cylinder might live (if it is not on the handlebars) , along with the little harness which connects the can to the ignitor. So you could be looking at getting a bar mounted master cylinder. IIRC, the correct Dyna coils if you go electronic are orange; get with Motorrad Elektrik on this point along with the final wiring. Don't forget the heat sink paste for the ignitor.

Orange Dyna Coils

IIRC, the correct Dyna coils if you go electronic are orange;

Yes, the orange Dyna 2-wire coils are the dual plug replacement for the stock single wire coils when all else, but the heads, remains the same. That's what I have on my dual-plugged R75/6 w/points and points amplifiers.

Your engine must be a mix of different model years or modified quite a bit. I didn't know that there were any bean can ignitions on R75 's unless maybe the 1977 R75/7. Was the bean can ignition used in '79 -'80 or on earlier engines?
In any case, if you have points in a can ignition and want to go electronic to fire the dual plugged heads then go see Rick at Motorrad Elektrik. He has everything that you need to get that done and has the technical advise to guide you in the right direction.

Yes the motor has been modified. Has the new liter clutch form the newer airheads plus the points in the can. I'll check with Rick Jones at Motorrad Elektrik. Thanks for the responses.

Does anyone know what the pins on the ignition control unit go to? Maybe it shows on the BMW wiring diagram. The wiring diagram in my Clymers manual shows 6 wires going to/coming from the control unit but the actual control unit has 7 pins.

Back