• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shortening the Center Stand?

brittrunyon

'92 R100GS
So yes, we all get older & that's OK, it beats the alternative.
My question has to do with the increasing difficulty of getting the bike on the center stand when loaded.
Not wishing to buy a different center stand, I have heard of the stand being shortened.
Now before I get the hacksaw out and start cutting away, I would like to hear from those who have done such a thing.
The bike is a '92 GS. I'm pulling the stand off just for inspection, maintenance & perhaps replacing the bushing. (has never been done)
So:
Who has made this modification? :scratch
Are there previous threads on this? (I searched) :scratch
Shorten by how much? ( I've heard 1 inch) :scratch

Thanks to all that provide input. :ear

When I first got my K, it was usually impossible for me to put the bike on the centre stand. Local BMW dealership employee suggested I get a gym membership. As it was, I had been working out for a couple of years at the gym and was quite buff. Turns out when the small Honda shop mechanic was doing some maintenance to the bike, he cursed the bike trying to get the bike onto the centre stand. He told me that I needed a new shock and all has been well since. Do consider the state of your shock before shortening the centre stand, as that may solve your problem without having to cut the stand.

When I first got my K, it was usually impossible for me to put the bike on the centre stand. Local BMW dealership employee suggested I get a gym membership. As it was, I had been working out for a couple of years at the gym and was quite buff. Turns out when the small Honda shop mechanic was doing some maintenance to the bike, he cursed the bike trying to get the bike onto the centre stand. He told me that I needed a new shock and all has been well since. Do consider the state of your shock before shortening the centre stand, as that may solve your problem without having to cut the stand.

Thanks for the reply.

Last Summer:
I rebuilt the front forks with new springs & Gold Valve.
I installed a Wilbers rear shock from Ted Porter.

At the moment my suspension is the "****"!

I don't think that's the problem.

edit: Ooops, sorry. Didn't know I couldn't type that word.

Get an aftermarket sidestand (Brown) and don't worry about using the center stand when the bike is loaded. With a shortened center stand you'll have trouble changing tires, etc.

FWIW, my K75 has a shortened center stand. It is super easy to use. It is rare that I use the fold out handle. I do have to agree about problems removing the rear wheel though.

Back