• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Identification by the numbers

lmc3881

I have a 1984 R100 something. I have looked at engine numbers on line until I am cross eyed. On the left side of the engine are there are two numbers. 83346285 and below that DBMS 098042A3
The Calif. title lists the first number as the engine number. I cannot find any such number the Phil Hawkley's BMW page or anywhere else. It seems all the R100 model start with a 6. Has anyone run into this before? Does anyone know where to find these identification numbers?

Read the top part of Snowbum's page:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/IDnumbrs.htm

If you feel up to it, read some more of the page. It seems that in 1984 or so, things became a little squirrely with engine numbering. If you can find the 17-digit number, the critical part is the last 7 digits, starting with "6". Before the early 1980s, all we had was the 7-digit number. Then they changed and came out with a "true" VIN with 17digits.

Your '84 R100 should have a 17 digit VIN. If nothing has been replaced, the VIN should be stamped into the frame down low near the oil pan and the same VIN should also be stamped into the label on the drive shaft. Probably starts with WB104..... but the last 7 digits are the numbers you plug into the parts fiche or VIN decoder web sites.

Thank you both

After finding the vin I find out I have purchased a 1984 R100T not the S that had been represented. Stupid novice mistake. Oh well, now I have another R100T only now with an S fairing

I won't tell....
27.gif

After finding the vin I find out I have purchased a 1984 R100T not the S that had been represented. Stupid novice mistake. Oh well, now I have another R100T only now with an S fairing

Rest easy, as BMW didn't make an "S" in 1984. The bikes with that fairing were called R100CS in 1984. The last time BMW made an R100S was probably 1980.

There's no engine or transmission or rear drive difference between an '84 T, CS, RS, or RT. The only mechanical difference was the handlebars and perhaps the switch wiring lengths. Not sure, but if you have a rear drum brake you're better off anyway. BTW, the bike didn't originally come with R100T sidecover decals. Just R100.

thanks Chris

Interesting info Chris. I also have a third bike, a 78 (built in late 77) that is an R100S but the small fairing was replaced with an after market (may be a vetter). Maybe I'll take the S fairing off the 84 and put it on the 78. The 78 is still in friends garage. A two owner California bike that I got for $600. Couldn't pass it up

In 1978 BMW sold some "special" R100S bikes with no fairings at all, as the "Vetter" craze was well established.

I bought one in 553 dark red metallic (smoke). It had USA bars and pods for the extra instruments, i.e. voltmeter and clock.

The dealer filled out the owners manual calling it an R100ST.

Before I traded it in I'd put an S and then an RS fairing on it.

Back