• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Possible emergency, or am I being a wuss?

First -

I made it home.

Second - Thanks for all the help

Details -

Lone Star BMW had the points. However, BMW is, apparently, shipping the chinese junk (and yeah, they're junk) as OEM now...

While I was crusing around, trying to find a condensor, the misfire problem simply... stopped. As suddenly as it begain. she ran like a top, all the way home.

Guess it must have been something in the fuel.

Hucky's, MAXBMW sell the real-deal, German-made NORIS (one "r") points. Ted Porter does too. BUT YOU HAVE TO ASK FOR THEM SPECIFICALLY. Lay in a supply.

The "N" at the end is a Hucky-unique addition to the OEM p/n.
12111243555N.jpg

Great that you got home, but doncha just hate it when something "fixes" itself and you don't know wtf is was... . ? Personally... I think I'd have my way with that tank; drain it and thoroughly de-gunk the interior and the petcock screens. I tend to obsess however
icon_wink.gif

I did that in the driveway in austin. 5 gallon bucket, carb cleaner, etc,etc. The liner is coming out.. I'm not sure how to get the rest of it, so I can -really clean- the tank, and lay in a new liner.

Hucky's, MAXBMW sell the real-deal, German-made NORIS (one "r") points. Ted Porter does too. BUT YOU HAVE TO ASK FOR THEM SPECIFICALLY. Lay in a supply.

The "N" at the end is a Hucky-unique addition to the OEM p/n.
12111243555N.jpg

What concerns me is -someone- is passing off the chinese junk to dealerships. This is a Bad Thing.

What concerns me is -someone- is passing off the chinese junk to dealerships. This is a Bad Thing.

Profit margin.... ? You can get the real thing, you just have to know what to ask for. Like everything else I guess.

I've found that the "new" BOSCH condensers are not too cool either. The ends of the clamp will not compress together far enough requiring a longer screw be substituted. Even then, when tightened, the mounting screw hits the clamp of the condenser causing it to not seat correctly unless really torqued down hard. It's a minor annoyance to have to stop and find a screw when you've got the one that held on the old condenser, but why do they do this stuff?!? :banghead

New BMW (made in Turkey)
2196-condenser.jpg

The Real Deal condenser from MotoBins.

Attachments

• Real Deal condenser.JPG
    Real Deal condenser.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 97
I got them in the fairing of a slash 5 I recently purchased, the guy liked to have his 3 sets of extra points handy I guess.

Back in the 1980's BMW had a bad batch of points. They wear out prematurely within a 1,000 miles.

Profit margin.... ? You can get the real thing, you just have to know what to ask for. Like everything else I guess.

QUOTE]

Lew, I have given up on the why's and just try to cope. For me, a condensor is a condensor and have substituted with one out of a 53 Chev Bel-Air, VW's several times, and on the side of the road an old ford tractor. I am just thankful that they last a VERY long time and when points start to pit and burn, it's typically time to start looking for a replacement condensor................Anyway, at least WE are still going strong........God bless........Dennis

Are you sure?

First -

I made it home.

Second - Thanks for all the help

Details -

Lone Star BMW had the points. However, BMW is, apparently, shipping the chinese junk (and yeah, they're junk) as OEM now...

While I was crusing around, trying to find a condensor, the misfire problem simply... stopped. As suddenly as it begain. she ran like a top, all the way home.

Guess it must have been something in the fuel.

Do you know that the problem has gone away for sure? Have you ridden it at speed , 70mph or greater since?

Roque, apparently you are wuss. .. ..
09.gif

Just kidding Brother. On these old machines it absolutely pays to be tuned in on them. With so many gasoline formulas all across the States it's hard to tell what you put into your tank. Thanks for one more "experience" to add to the collective tribal lore of airheads. :thumb

Back