• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'99 K1200LT Rear Brake Indexing for Rebuild Reference

jusbill

I'm in the process of removing my rear drive to send it away for rebuild and am not sure about how to index the rear brake as per the K1200LT service manual. Is there a simple way to do this? What marks on the disc / rear drive should I use, given that during rebuild the rear drive will be handled quite a bit and may remove any marks I make beforehand?

As a reference here is the verbiage from the manual on page 34.9:

"Mark the installed position of the brake disc on the
rear wheel drive, so that vertical runout of the sensor
ring is not altered."

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bill Edwards
Boerne, TX

What marks on the disc / rear drive should I use, given that during rebuild the rear drive will be handled quite a bit and may remove any marks I make beforehand?

Bill Edwards
Boerne, TX

Use a center punch. Make two small dots ( : ) on each part so that proper orientation can be repeated when you reassemble ( : : ). Punch marks will not get washed off.

:dance:dance:dance

Considered that. Is it reasonable to assume that the "gear slop" (lash?) will be the same upon reassembly so that the marks will line up if I rotate the disc to the full forward or full rearward end of the "slop" before disassembling and by doing the same upon reassembly?

Is this the way a dealer would mark it? I ask this because it's been rebuilt once before and I don't see any telltale marks of any kind. Of course, I may not be looking in the right locations.

Thanks for the reply.

Bill

Is it reasonable to assume that the "gear slop" (lash?) will be the same upon reassembly so that the marks will line up if I rotate the disc to the full forward or full rearward end of the "slop" before disassembling and by doing the same upon reassembly?

Bill

Unless I'm missing something, the brake rotor (with attached ABS ring) can only bolt to the final drive in one of two positions (the way it is currently bolted on with the two flat head machine screws, or 180 degrees out).

Gear lash has nothing to do with rotor position. You want to mark the rotor's rotational relation to the hub (the part of the final drive that the wheel lug bolts go into, NOT the final drive housing). The hub is part of the ring gear. If the gear set is being REPLACED, you do not need to mark the hub or brake rotor.

If you bolt the rotor on 180 out, there MAY be some radial runout that would cause the distance between the ABS ring and the ABS sensor to vary. Always recheck the sensor clearance in at least 6 positions after any rotor or sensor reassembly.

Please include the year of your LT in the title of your thread.

:dance:dance:dance

1999 K1200LT Rear Brake Indexing for Rebuild Reference

Okay, as you can probably tell it's my first time doing this. So the only orientation to worry about is that the 2 machine screw mounting holes on the ABS ring / disc rotor are realigned using the exact same holes on the rear drive upon reassembly?

Aha. Just reread my reference and see it's talking about "vertical" runout. Now it makes more sense.

Thanks for taking the time to set me straight.

Occam's Razor strikes again!

Bill Edwards

Back