• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Help Troubleshoot

Help Troubleshoot, Please?

OK, 1988 R100RS, 81,000 relatively troublefree miles. It's white if that matters.
A few days ago, my bike was reluctant to start in 45 degree weather. Previously it would start in the coldest weather, even 20 degrees. So as the day warmed up, it started right up at about 55 degrees. Three times in the last few days, after starting and about 1/2 mile down the road, the engine dies. Just dies. And it doesn't start right back up immediately.
Has gas, has a battery that is always on a tender. Plenty of ability to turn over the engine.

Here is a kicker before someone tells me it's grounding out. After that one time per outing when it dies and it warms up. it does not die which makes me think it's not electrical.
What defies logic is why both cylinders die simultaneously which does make it seem electrical in nature. Snowbum's carb page states that my reported symptom is characteristic of needle and jet wear. Dying shortly after starting.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Have you tested your coil?

My '82 R65LS had the oem grey crack-o-magic coil notorious for cutting off electricity at the exact wrong time - especially in rain.

This is New Mexico. We haven't seen rain in months. It's a Dyna coil and not OEM.
Wer it the coil, the symptom would not abate after warming up.

Are you getting spark? Don't do the grounding to the head thing with your electronic ignition, that will likely make matters worse. Use an inductive timing light or in line plug checker. They both fire sinultaneously.
Both the ignitor on the frame and the "bean can" are heat sensitive. if you are getting no spark, the ignitor is vastly cheaper. But I have had 3 bean cans, but only one ignitor, die in past 5 years.
I vote this is electrical issue.
Jiggle your key in there when it won't restart, it is possible your ignition switch innarrds are disintegrating. Ditto the kill switch.

When is the last time you adjusted your valves?

I know on my bike if it won't hold an idle I reset the valves and all is good.

About 3 years ago, I had a similar problem, but not so much with starting. The bike would just stop, sometimes at very inconvenient places. Sometimes it would start right back up, sometimes it wouldn't. It was losing spark. There was an issue with wiring. I couldn't sort it out, but my mechanic did. He ended up replacing a wiring harness. The old one had been hacked and spliced so many times, that it was really the best option.

I'm thinking this is less related to the actual ambient temps and more related to some electrical problem. It's a 25 year old motorcycle, wires get stretched and corroded over time. Electrical/spark issues have cropped up mutliple times over the years on my 36 year old RS. I've owned this bike almost 13 years now. In that time, I've replaced the starter, the battery (twice), wiring harness, left handlebar switchgear, horn relay, starter relay, and other minor wiring issues. I've also replaced the plug wires and plugs, but that was more of just doing maintenance.

Good Luck, you've got some troubleshooting ahead of you, me thinks.

Are you getting spark? Don't do the grounding to the head thing with your electronic ignition, that will likely make matters worse. Use an inductive timing light or in line plug checker. They both fire sinultaneously.
Both the ignitor on the frame and the "bean can" are heat sensitive. if you are getting no spark, the ignitor is vastly cheaper. But I have had 3 bean cans, but only one ignitor, die in past 5 years.
I vote this is electrical issue.
Jiggle your key in there when it won't restart, it is possible your ignition switch innarrds are disintegrating. Ditto the kill switch.

Actually, I timed it with a light last week.

I have not lately adjusted the valves. Perhaps that is next.

I'm on board with Baron, if you haven't adjusted the valves recently, your timing isn't "correct". I'd recommend adjusting the valves, and then re-adjusting the ignition timing. If you can get it go for a 20+ mile run, synchronize your carburetors when you get back and the engine is good and hot. Chances are that this will not solve your sudden-death syndrome but at least the basics will be correct and can be eliminated from the mix.

Fuel consumption over a half-mile ride doesn't sound like enough to cause the tank to vacuum lock due to a plugged gas cap vent, but it might be something else (that's easy) to check. Just a though on this; if your tank is fully topped-up the volume of air remaining above the fuel might be small enough to allow vacuum lock to occur...

But both cylinders dying simultaneously ... certainly does sound e-lek-trickle.

not very likely to get vacuum lock at 45 degs; that is typically a warm weather phenomenon.

ALWAYS adjust valves before setting points or timing- doing otherwise is just a waste of time. go back, do that, then let us know what it's doing.

Perhaps a poor choice of terms. Vacuum lock, or vapor lock, usually is associated with warm/hot temps. But it wouldn't make any difference at all what the temperature was if the gas cap vent was plugged.

not very likely to get vacuum lock at 45 degs; that is typically a warm weather phenomenon.

ALWAYS adjust valves before setting points or timing- doing otherwise is just a waste of time. go back, do that, then let us know what it's doing.

Bikerfish,

I did the gas cap thing. The plug leads have been switched. There is gas in the bowls. All to no avail.

Your words will be heeded. I will get back to you tomorrow. As I am an avid airhead rider and my bike is sick, tomorrow will have to be "work from home", if ya know what I mean ;-).

Grasshopper

My 1988 R100RS exhibited the exact same symptoms some years ago - for no apparent reason it would just quit, sometimes at high speed. After a little while it would start right back up and run well until the next time it quit.

Took it to the dealer a couple of times before they diagnosed that the spark plugs wires were bad. After the plug wires were changed I never had the problem again.

Bill Edwards
Boerne, TX

Actually, I timed it with a light last week.

I meant, is there spark when this occurrence happens, and you can't get it started? Issues with the ignitor, bean can, or especially ignition switch can appear and disappear seemingly randomly. It makes no difference if you had successfully adjusted timing recently, where the failure event is somewhat random. If you take an inline spark checker with you, you can check for spark right after it dies and won't start. Then you can eliminate, or focus on, your electrics.

I meant, is there spark when this occurrence happens, and you can't get it started? Issues with the ignitor, bean can, or especially ignition switch can appear and disappear seemingly randomly. It makes no difference if you had successfully adjusted timing recently, where the failure event is somewhat random. If you take an inline spark checker with you, you can check for spark right after it dies and won't start. Then you can eliminate, or focus on, your electrics.

+1

F.A.S.T - fuel, air, spark ,timing

I carry spark thread extenders for balancing the carbs, but they work great to check for spark also. The next time it dies, check for spark. If you have spark, then you have F.A.T remaining.:whistle

Update!

Took the advice of someone who commented and adjusted the valves. Removed left valve cover first and the nut on the top-front stud was loose. This seemed like a dead giveaway that one or both of the left side valves may tend to be out of whack.
Loosened and torqued the head, adjusted the valves and put the valve cover back on. Checked the right side while I was at it. Perfect in there.
Stared right up and didn't die in 1/2 mile. However, I am not at all certain that I am any closer to having located the source of the mystery stalling.

Tomorrow morning will be a better indicator. I will keep you all posted.
Hasta

not wanting to rain on your parade, but a loose valve cover nut has no connection to valve adjustment or head torque status. did you happen to check your valves before you loosened things up? (sounds like answer would be no).
hope you're lucky.

Bikerfish,

I didn't say that the valve cover was loose. Do you ordinarily jump to conclusions before reading closely?
Thinkin' that answer is Yes.

Thanks.

Rick- apparently i misread this statement to think you were referring to the valve cover stud.. "Removed left valve cover first and the nut on the top-front stud was loose". If you meant one of the head bolts was loose, then your actions were correct. but your attitude is a bit lame, especially given that i was among those recommending that your valves should be checked/adjusted as a first option.

Back