• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Help Troubleshoot

Just a note about ignition timing ...

... like wheel alignment on a car, you never need to do it.

It's in fact physically impossible for your RS' ignition timing to "go out" and/or need checking or adjusting unless bearings associated with the system are worn and it's wobbling. In that case, you need new parts, as there's no "adjusting" to fix this.

Of course timing may be out if it was done incorrectly last time, but that's pretty silly, isn't it? "Done incorrectly" obviously includes failure to tighten it down, but then if that happened what's to say it only moved "a little bit" from the correct postion? If it's loose it could just as easily move so much the engine wouldn't run. These concepts are simply silly.

I know these engines are getting older and older, but I still think the first thing to check is always valve adjustment. Chances of just about any problem being "timing" are about zilch. In the desert southwest it's always good to check for vacuum leaks related to the fact German rubber isn't so great with this sort of climate.

Kent- don't forget that timing can/will go out if points gap is incorrect, as points wear, or as points rubbing block wears down.

Valve train timing is affected by valve clearance. If the valves are too loose then the valve timing changes. Stretching of the timing chain affects both the valve timing and ignition timing. I think Timing it is last in the F.A.S.T. acronym to a.) make the acronym easier to remember and b.) it is generally more difficult to check than the fuel, air, and spark when troubleshooting. YMMV.

Update: After following sage advice mentioned herein, the valves were adjusted, carbs balanced and the timing was check, though not much needed there. More of a verification that timing is within range.

Upon turning the ignition key, the gen, oil, and neutral lights come on. It starts. Then after 1/2 mile it still dies. So we are onto the assertion of others that this is electrical in nature.
Wen I switch off the key in the ignition, the oil light may or may relight though the other two still do. The starter is able to churn away. Benzene is in the bowls.
As this is an electronic ignition, what is the recommended way to check for spark without damaging the ignition? I figure that working backward from the plugs through the ignition circuit (should no spark be extant) then it may be a simpler process.

Thanks,

Rick

I keep an official BMW tool kit with my airhead. This kit includes a socket to remove the spark plug. If my airhead died on the road (and I did not have my carb balancing tool) I would remove the plugs from the head, reattach them to the plug wires, and rest them on the cylinders to test for spark. The plugs should not be 'torqued' to use the BMW socket but instead tightened using the tool to allow plug removal when the bike stops.

It sounds like an electronic ignition problem that could be from a defective hall effect sensor. But, testing for spark the next time it dies is needed to be certain. Good luck!

Handy Spark Shorting Device

I made one of these from an old spark plug and a spring paper clip and keep it in the tool bucket under the seat. Take one spring out and bend it so it clamps onto the plug nice and tight and fit it back into the clip like so.

P1010966.jpg

Clamp it to a cooling fin like so and watch the electrode for spark. Or not... :scratch

P1010968.jpg

When you have a no spark condition almost the last thing that goes wrong is the plugs themselves so unless I suspect a bad spark plug I don't bother removing them unless this test fails.

Thanks for posting this. It enlightened me in two ways.

1) THAT is the cleverest-est way to hold a spark plug I've seen to date.

2) I recently posted that I replaced the OEM BERU spark plug caps on my '73 /5. I replaced them with new parts from MAX without thinking about, or understanding that post 1979 they were 5Ω.

Back