• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Was your service reminder re-set, last trip to the dealer?

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
I had the F800gs into the dealer the other day (gift certificate)- had an oil and filter change and the mandatory safety inspection done. I noticed that the service reminder hadn't been re-set. When I inquired as to why, it was something like "well it really wasn't a service-just oil and filter". Not a big deal but seemed a bit odd so I thought I'd throw it out there to see if my expectations out of whack. OM

Mine wasn't reset the last time. Had the valves adjusted but did my own oil and filter. Maybe if they don't do the whole enchilada they don't reset..?

Next time I'll take a pound of coffee for the tech and leave a thank you note in advance for taking care of my rig...and resetting the service reminder.

Pete

I reset mine the last time it came on. And a number of them for friends what I help to work on their bikes as well.
I do my service when I want. And reset the light when it comes on.
dc

You can ask your dealer to set it 200,000 miles and never worry about it again.
Well, if you don't go over 200,000 miles you won't have to worry about it again. My R75/5 LWB went 387,000 plus miles before I sold it to someone else that is hopefully, riding the wheels off it. It had a fresh bottom end up about 2500 miles before I sold it.

No, it was not. They forgot. And it's a bit annoying considering that only a dealer can reset it and that's a day trip for me.

We even tried to reset with the GS 911 but no luck.

I'm not David, but as far as I know, it is a GS11 or the dealer. You can ask your dealer to set it 200,000 miles and never worry about it again.

I don't know if the dealer can set it that far ahead.
Seems like the highest number my GS-911 would accept was somewhere in the 30,000 to 36,000 mile rage.

We even tried to reset with the GS 911 but no luck.

That's odd.
I think resetting the service reminder is the only function that requires the GS-911 to accept the VIN.
Did you remember to accept the VIN?

I have no idea what the thing does. But the MARs group has a few people who understand it and couldn't get mine to reset. I finally took it to the dealer one day in my travels.

I don't know if the dealer can set it that far ahead.
Seems like the highest number my GS-911 would accept was somewhere in the 30,000 to 36,000 mile rage.

I have set it a year out on a few bikes, I have never been able to push the mileage out past 12K. That may be an upgraded function I have not tried lately.

I reset it on any bike the indicator is showing regardlesss of what is done.

Yes.
I am David. But I mean also, that the GS911 is required. And it will only set your date and mileage somewhat into the future. Not 200 years nor 200,000 miles.
Yes, with the GS911 there is a certain trick to doing it. I recently learned that trick, and hopefully next time I will remember it. That way I only have to set the light once, not twice.
dc

The trick?

Hi David,
Do you remember the "trick" to share as would like to do it now.
best regards
another David

Yes.
I am David. But I mean also, that the GS911 is required. And it will only set your date and mileage somewhat into the future. Not 200 years nor 200,000 miles.
Yes, with the GS911 there is a certain trick to doing it. I recently learned that trick, and hopefully next time I will remember it. That way I only have to set the light once, not twice.
dc

Back