• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Side Stand Repair (maintanence)?

brittrunyon

'92 R100GS
After 21 years of use my side stand is a bit "wobbly" at it's mounting point so I'm sure the bushing is suffering from use.
I have not disassembled yet but plan to later in the week.
Problem is the bushing is no longer available from BMW.
Anyone know what size it is so I can find a suitable replacement? (#18 below)
DisplayImage.jpg

I gave the parts diagram a quick look and part #18 is not listed in the list of parts below, which typically means that part is not used on that specific model. So, I would not worry about the bushing. You may need to take the side stand apart to see what parts are there and need replacing. FWIW, the bushing for my 88R100 RT is still available--not that it's compatible though.

Edit: There's also the probability that the fische is wrong, which appears to be the case based on subsequent posts. I found this to be the case with the fork parts on my bike.

Last edited:
Go with a Brown replacement? You do have to remember to manually kick it up, but they work quite well.

Wow, Thanks.
It looks like the bushing is used both for the side stand & the rear brake lever.
Thanks for the link to Motobins!
It's funny, earlier today I called Max & ask about the bushing for the side stand, since it was not listed on the fiche, & was told it was not available.
Only Motobins listed it as the same one for the brake lever.
Thanks Stan & Thanks Motobins...........:thumb

Go with a Brown replacement? You do have to remember to manually kick it up, but they work quite well.

I agree with Brad as my side stand on my 1989 R100RT leaned over so far that I thought for sure one day it would go all the way over. Put a Brown side stand on from the recommendation on this board and what a huge difference. Removed the old side stand, fitted the Brown side stand and now the R100RT stands smartly now, instead of a drunk who looks like its ready to fall over.

Thanks for the input, I found what I was looking for at Max.
I've been thinking of a different side stand, but right now the $'s going to other upgrades because the bike wants them.
And as you know, "what the bike wants, the bike gets" :lol

Not to put a damper on things, but I was always dissatisfied with the side stand on my '93 R100GS. It was my experience that the Brown sidestand, an excellent device, would not work on the GS model. Just something to consider. I ended up putting a hockey puck on the bottom foot of the stand.

Thanks for all the input.
I too have added to the side stand foot to raise the bike. Works OK.
If I were to add a different side stand it would be from Flying Teapot, which are made for a GS but it's a lot of $.

I ordered the bushing from Max. But everywhere I looked it was not in stock so we'll see how long it takes to get to me.
I guess it has to come from Germany or China?

I guess it has to come from Germany or China?

... or SATURN!
09.gif

Back