Thread: Crash Bars for 2013 RT

Crash Bars for 2013 RT

Getting a new RT soon.

I believe in trying to learn from past mistakes. I've managed to drop every bike
    I've owned at least once (so far at about 1-2 mph at least). I guess I'm a slow learner.

Any thoughts about the best products out there to save me if I do that again?

Thanks for the advice in advance..

Klaus Diefenbach

2004 1150 GS, soon 2013 RT

Hi Klaus:

I use the Wunderlich engine and case guards:

Your slow speed drops might be because you are using the front brake with the handlbars turned a little either direction. Stay off the front brake below about 5 mph when doing parking lot maneuvers. Rear brake only unless the bars are square and then you can apply front brake.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Quote Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
    Hi Klaus:

I use the Wunderlich engine and case guards:

Your slow speed drops might be because you are using the front brake with the handlbars turned a little either direction. Stay off the front brake below about 5 mph when doing parking lot maneuvers. Rear brake only unless the bars are square and then you can apply front brake.
    1+
    Rick MacPherson
    Success is Not a Destination, But a Journey.
    Accredited Motorcycle Appraiser
    1968 BSA Starfire, 1976 BMW R75/6, 2009 R1200RT

Doug, Rick.

Why do you have the BMW Valve Cover protector in addition to the crash bars? Won't one of the two do the
    job?

Thanks, Klaus

Crash bar suggestion

Have Touratech crash bars for my GS and realized after I went down at 5mph that the attachment points were not substantial enough due to the way they mount and the extra bracket used at the lower mounting point is to me a weak point. I realize that something has to give when you go down but both my upper and lower mounting points tweaked enough that I had to replace (Touratech was kind enough to sell me the left side only at a discount). I suggest looking carefully at HOW they mount - in retrospect the Touratech bars slip over the engine mounts which may not be as strong if there are bars that are attached using the engine mount bolts to secure.