• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Lower Fairing Alignment

dennypink

DennyPink
I have a 1992 RT and took off the left side lower fairing piece for some winter repair. Now on reassembly, I can't seem to get it aligned, especially the bottom two bolts off the motor mount bracket. I have tried to tweek that little arm but I still can't seem to get a smooth and straight alignment. Is there a secret to putting these things back on, like tightening bottom to top or center to right? Airheads .... your thoughts? Thank you!

Denny Pink

Denny- try loosening up the upper cross bar that connects L and R side uppers/lowers, that might give you the play you need. Beyond that, jsut be sure to do what you already know- install everything before tightening anything.

Don't forget to loosen the 19mm nut on the bottom so the bracket can find it's new alignment. I has an elongated hole so it can adjust.

This can be a real PITA and I wouldn't loosen the bracket.

Fact is, the screws have to go through the bracket and into the threaded inserts in the fairing PERFECTLY straight. I've messed with them long and hard before I achieved the required orientation--remember, you're doing it all essentially backward and blind and the flex in the fairing plastic fights you the whole time.

If you look at the lower bracket, you'll see the slot that goes on the engine mounting rod is elongated so it can move vertically to help.

I always start at the top (4 bolts for main fairing) , then attach lowers, the cross beam, then loosen the bottom 19mm nut, attach the 2 10mm bolts to the lowers (easier when the bracket can reorient) and then tighten everything up solid and straight.

And done enough of these (including 2 last week) to know they are a real PITA especially if the bike was tipped over lightly in a garage. Not enough to bend the antlers but enough to tweak them.

Thanks for the excellent replies everyone. It finally warmed up in Colorado today so I could take my time and I got the lower piece straight. Attach then tighten everything slowly. It helps when it's not so dang cold!
Denny Pink

Back