• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100GS Transmission problem ÔÇô Input shaft shims - HELP!

DASR1100RSL

Dog Slave
Greetings from a lurker! I confess I am not one who is not very good about posting on the forum. But the info here is great and really appreciated.

I have 95 R1100GS with 100K mi on it. It is the tug for a DMC sidecar. It is currently in small pieces all over my garage. The following projects are in process:

- Cyl. Heads off for a valve job
- clutch job and spline lube
- replacing the Fuel Dist. Spider that cracked on fuel hose removal
- Fuel injectors cleaned, fuel filter & all hoses to be replaced.
- Transmission rebuild ÔÇô Input shaft bearings shot.

I desperately need help on the transmission issue. Can anyone help me with info on how to shim the input shaft after the new clean roller bearings are installed to replace the tapered roller bearings that failed. Rear bearing was toast and front bearing had excessive play. It is an M94 box, splines, forks, & other bearings are good. My intent is to replace the input shaft bearings and all four seals.

I have a little experience with transmissions; having rebuilt ones from 40ÔÇÖs & 50ÔÇÖs cars in my younger days. But nothing was that precise back then. I donÔÇÖt have a dial indicator gauge, but I can get one at Harbor Frt. I do have a basic understanding of how to use one.

I have searched several forums, but I cannot find any instructions for how to measure the end play or preload on the shafts. Primary concern is with the input shaft since the rest of the bearings appear to be fine.

Thanks any help will be appreciated.

Back