• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

As The Crow Flies?

tourunigo

Because of a little discussion regarding mileage accomplished in a year, I thought that I would introduce this notion: Last year at the rally in Sedalia I posed a question to the Long Distance award people. This question was regarding distance traveled to the rally. Well, it was interesting to note that it was determined by the "As The Crow Flies" philosophy. As the crow flies? My bike does not fly and it has no pontoons to navigate waterways but, unlike the IBA, the MOA still seems to cling to this bird notion for the long distance (to the rally) award. If I am incorrect in thinking this then please correct me. However, if I am correct, please explain the logic. - Bob

As the crow flies? I thought I'd heard that the distances are measured by something like google maps using one of the features like shortest distance or avoid highways??

Don't they have a North American Tour award? For those who take the circuitous 'scenic' route to the rally.

As the crow flies? I thought I'd heard that the distances are measured by something like google maps using one of the features like shortest distance or avoid highways??

nope. So,maybe someone with the 'inside scoop' will chime in eh?

Yup, in a straight line...whoda thunk it? :scratch

http://digital.turn-page.com/i/72534/117

So, I've been wrong before but, where's the logic? My straight line to, let's say Boston, might be 400 miles but because there's this water thing in between, I really ride 700 miles. So the person riding through the desert trumps the poor ol' sod that has to go around a waterway. :dunno If this is such a great plan to determine a long distance to the rally award why doesn't the IB org think the same? Personally, I think that IB is the most realistic (AND factual) way to do it. - Bob

While it may not make sense now, it does if you think back to a time before the computer and the GPS, when all you had was a paper map. Of course, if you've not old enough to have known a time before the computer and the GPS...:scratch

While it may not make sense now, it does if you think back to a time before the computer and the GPS, when all you had was a paper map. Of course, if you've not old enough to have known a time before the computer and the GPS...:scratch

jeesh.... even when I had a paper map I could still use the logic unknown to a bird. Not sure about your meaning exactly (tad slow sometimes) but I think that you're giving the decision makers about this a bit of a poke. BTW, my first line of geographic utility is still the paper map. Even at a time when paper maps were the only tool, any damn fool could tell that the rider circumnavigating waterways and mountains just might have a longer ride than that rider racing across route 50.... which really isn't very challenging...... as long as you have a full tank of gas. - Bob

The reward should be the trip, not your name on a piece of paper anyway. I do things the way I do for pleasure, not recognition.

While it may not make sense now, it does if you think back to a time before the computer and the GPS, when all you had was a paper map.

Heaven help us that we change with the times.... the Ambassadors might fall off of their stools. :ha

The reward should be the trip, not your name on a piece of paper anyway. I do things the way I do for pleasure, not recognition.

:nod

It must be noted that....

some of us have knowledge that others rode further on their shortest route, but were not the award winner because of the format/method.

It is a riding distance award; somehow we should change our procedure to recognize that.

And once way back, we were going for a dinner ride; Doug Crow thought we would be late.... he can fly!

That is true of course. However, the various "pieces of paper" really do exist and the judging should be as accurate as possible. When we (me and Mary) go to a rally we stay put, as they say, and appreciate what so many have made possible and, beyond that, our trip is indeed the pleasure of the ride. I support your notion of "pleasure, not recognition" but some recognition of achievement, no matter the context, is 'nice'. Let's just keep it equitable and accurate. "As The Crow Flies" is not accurate and requires a more honest format IMO. - Bob

Just HOW?

With thousands of riders at a rally and most probably riding off the path of a crow, longer zig zag touring, HOW would one find time to verify all the riders data, confirming miles travelled? Seems a huge issue, where the home address on registration and crow scenario is much easier to accomplish in a reasonable time frame. Of course the miles are much bigger for almost all of us, but logistics kind a keep the task simple. No time. GPSs do this tracking of course, all do not use 'em however. Those do, hoorah. Collecting a paper trail en route is cumbersome to prove your miles. Just seems the task of verifying all the riders miles would be more than a full time rally job for somebody. You volunteer:). Randy

With thousands of riders at a rally and most probably riding off the path of a crow, longer zig zag touring, HOW would one find time to verify all the riders data, confirming miles travelled? Seems a huge issue, where the home address on registration and crow scenario is much easier to accomplish in a reasonable time frame. Of course the miles are much bigger for almost all of us, but logistics kind a keep the task simple. No time. GPSs do this tracking of course, all do not use 'em however. Those do, hoorah. Collecting a paper trail en route is cumbersome to prove your miles. Just seems the task of verifying all the riders miles would be more than a full time rally job for somebody. You volunteer:). Randy

I don't think that it takes a lot of wizardry to do this. :scratch For instance, I use Microsoft Streets and Trips, eliminate ferry routes, take shortest route option and calculate (although the rider, of course, will venture here 'n' there along the route but that is not a considered factor). I think that is how the IBA does it. My view is that the current method of judging disregards reality. As far as the rally job, maybe my own role in this is to raise the point for discussion because as far as I can tell many riders thought that this mileage calculation was done following a roadway, as the IBA (for example again) does. Also note that only those interested in registering for consideration are tabulated rather than "thousands". - Bob

Ya gotta love a new idea...

Yes, you APPLY for the distance awards. Bob is correct, if you care to compete...you'll know "how far you've been" since leaving home of
record & will have the records/proof to indicate the route & distance. Don't throw in a week layover at family/friends though...keep moving!
Last years North American Tour winner went on a riding "rally tour" from appox May 1st until arriving at National... and we dont even have
an award for the fact he arrived home, after his four month long "summer ride" on about Sept 1st!!! With Sedalia being the long layover
of the near 15 rallys attended in 2012; thats living off the bike! Congrats to Ron Clark of PEI, Canada on a very well done R1200RT ride.
My point is, these folks know how to "get around"; the straight line dosen't work from Marco Island, Fl across the Gulf of Mexico any better
than from Halifax NS across the Bay of Fundy, to Salem... but the rider knows their distance to a rally if they care to compete.

Yes, you APPLY for the distance awards. Bob is correct, if you care to compete...you'll know "how far you've been" since leaving home of
record & will have the records/proof to indicate the route & distance. Don't throw in a week layover at family/friends though...keep moving!
Last years North American Tour winner went on a riding "rally tour" from appox May 1st until arriving at National... and we dont even have
an award for the fact he arrived home, after his four month long "summer ride" on about Sept 1st!!! With Sedalia being the long layover
of the near 15 rallys attended in 2012; thats living off the bike! Congrats to Ron Clark of PEI, Canada on a very well done R1200RT ride.
My point is, these folks know how to "get around"; the straight line dosen't work from Marco Island, Fl across the Gulf of Mexico any better
than from Halifax NS across the Bay of Fundy, to Salem... but the rider knows their distance to a rally if they care to compete.

Well John, maybe something will change regarding this. I honestly don't know what the problem is with using a recognized mapping program, using the exact same variables options in the program applied to all who wish to sign up for the competition (just like every other competition at the rally). It does not take any more energy or time to do it the right way and the right way has nothing to do with crows IMO. - Bob

Back