• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Centech A-2 installation on '04 1150GS

jpm1074

Just purchased a Centech A-2 to install on my '04 R1150GS and was wondering if anyone has a wiring schematic/advise that they may want to share.
Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Just a thought but you should consider connecting this through a high current relay that is triggered by the key. That means you would add a relay and socket ahead of the Centech. Then you would wire the Battery +12 to the relay input contact, and connect the output contact to the Centech. The relay coil would be connected to ground and to a source of switched +12V. Installing it this way you won't add too much current draw to the existing wiring.

High current relay?

Can you get me started on what to look for (wire colors or fuses in the fusebox) to tie into. Where to purchase parts, socket and relay?

Can you get me started on what to look for (wire colors or fuses in the fusebox) to tie into. Where to purchase parts, socket and relay?
Just a recommendation. Jim Bade (Jim Von Baden http://www.jimvonbaden.com/) has a DVD with this install on it. You might consider looking at his site. When it comes to a fusebox you need to determine whether or not you want the current on all the time or only when the engine is running. You can run it directly to the battery which means all circuits are the same as direct to the battery all the time. A switched relay allows you to use fuzebox circuits only when the switch is on or engine is running depending on how you wire the relay trigger circuit. I thought there was something on AdvRider but I could not find it.

Try http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537579 I just wasn't looking in the right place. It's in there but might take you a few days to read it all.

Any reason not to just power the Centech directly from the battery, and then everything else direct from the Centech? Centech comes with its own 20 amp in-line fuse.

Any reason not to just power the Centech directly from the battery, and then everything else direct from the Centech? Centech comes with its own 20 amp in-line fuse.
You sure can. The issue that I have with Centech and Blue Sea fuse boxes is that you might want to have both switched and unswitched circuits. That's why I went with an FZ1 which has a relay and you can user either switched or unswitched. Not sure but Eastern Beaver's might do that too.

umm, the AP-2 has both switched and unswitched connections. :scratch

Yes, looking at it, it has two halves, and one half could be connected to a wire switched by the key. But if you did that, whatever current you draw from the new switched circuits would have to flow through the key contacts, which could easily overloaded.

So to avoid running the new switched current through the key contacts, several of us have suggested adding a relay so that the key contacts only have to handle the added current of the relay coil.

Here's another implementation I saw:

centechdiagrambi2.jpg

Centech A-2 installation on '04 1150GS FINISHED

Just finished the Centech AP-2 fuse box installation this weekend. Purchased a "R1150GS mounting plate" purchased from cyclenutz.com. The plate utilizes the diagnostic mounting plate located on the air cleaner cover located under the seat just behind the fuel tank. The mounting plate bolted right up and the only drilling I had to do was for mounting the centech and the relay and everything is easily accessible although it will be interesting when a new air filter is required. I followed the wiring instructions supplied with the AP-2 and the AP-130 relay and wire harness pretty strait forward every thing was in close proximity to the battery. I decided to use switched power from the front parking light (that little 4W bulb located in the front high beam light housing) after speaking to BMW motorcycles of Omaha's Service department. Thanks for all the posts, the relay advise and schematics really helped out with wiring all the accessories.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 78
Back