• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oil and Rear end grease for an R80

It's more of an oil not a grease for the final drive. It should be a GL5 rated 80w90 gear oil.

rdcamp, it's time for a manual- Haynes or Clymer. All will be answered there.
If you feel adventurous: http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/Oil.htm

This website by Snowbum is a horrendous mess. One of the worst laid out sites and hardest to read I've ever seen. It's laid out by a guy who must have been dropping acid at the time. But, I do recommend you take two Advil and spend some time there as the information is invaluable.

More likely a guy with a sh*tload of BMW information acquired over years of wrenching and no interest, at all, in dealing with the constantly evolving vagaries of JavaScript ... or whatever it's called.

It is a mess, but once you learn how to navigate through it (mostly by reading and re-reading it) it is invaluable.
icon_wink.gif

Snow Bum site

This website by Snowbum is a horrendous mess. One of the worst laid out sites and hardest to read I've ever seen. It's laid out by a guy who must have been dropping acid at the time. But, I do recommend you take two Advil and spend some time there as the information is invaluable.

I just search the web for what I am looking for ref. BMW Motorcycles and Snow Bums site dealing with the subject pops up most of the time. I don't search on his site because I can never find what I'm looking for.

I don't search on his site because I can never find what I'm looking for.

Did you know he has a search function built into his website? It's about 1/4 of the way down on his tech page. Sometimes, I use Ctrl-F in Windoze to search for "Search" and then click next a few times. With any search engine, you kind of have to know what you're looking for and also have to know how the author has written the text. For example, did he use "36 mm" or "36mm"? Turns out Snowbum uses both! :doh

is there a difference between 36 mm and 36mm?? :dunno

No, it's just notation. I was just pointing out that searching you need to consider how the person may have written any particular word or sets of words.

Back