• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Shock upgrade opinions? 2004 1150R, 26K miles

aja1739

OK, so before I get going, I need to say up front that this is as much a philosophical question as it is mechanical. Secondly, it probably makes sense to get the facts on the table:
  • 26,000 miles (10 years) on the stock shocks
  • No known mechanical issues with current shocks - no observed leaking, at least, but performance-wise I have nothing to compare to
  • I'm about 160 lbs, and only occasionally carry luggage in side cases; never a passenger. ever.
  • Most riding is day-trips, some travel, little to no commuting.
  • Typically ride 4-5K miles per year, so I'm not a road-warrior, by any means.
  • Had the bike 3 years, and have no plans of selling/trading it anytime soon.

Now, some philosophy.... I try to prioritize my investments along the following lines (and actually even succeed sometimes! :thumb)
  1. Mechanically necessary to keep the bike running, and remain legal and safe. e.g. tires, battery, brakes, routine maintenance, etc.
  2. Comfort and convenience items - things like my Sargent seat, side cases, touring windshield, etc. May have an incidental impact on safety by reducing fatigue, discomfort, stress, etc. ;)
  3. Pure performance improvements. (none yet)
  4. Cosmetic stuff. (i.e. stickers :)

At this point I'm pretty certain the shocks are not a "category 1" item. Also reasonably sure they're not in #4. That leaves 2 & 3, or some mixture thereof. For whatever reason, I've been looking at the standards - Ohlins, Wilbers, and Hagon - and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth dropping $1,200 - $1,800 on them. Any idea if I'd notice an improvement or difference? If so, would Ohlins or Wilbers be putting "a $10 saddle on a $5 horse"? Should I just wait unitil I have problems with the stock shocks before even worrying about it?

So - let me know what you think. I realize this isn't scientific, so there's probably no 'wrong' answers. Thanks, everyone. And Happy Friday!
Andrew

Better suspension is the first thing I have done to my last three rides. My brand new Boxer Cup got updated at 3000 miles. Ride and handling far superior to stock IMHO. Are they a #1 item, technically no, but old crappy tires technically are not either. I would slot them at 1-1/2. They can improve comfort more then seats shields etc, if you ride back roads. And everyone I ride with says suspension improvements were the best $$ ever spent on the bike. I ride with several guys in NC, and most of them upgrade the suspension soon after they get new bikes, which they do frequently. Plus at 26K, there is a good chance that they only things the shocks are basically just springs, with little of no damping.

More important you only rent good suspension, with a security deposit. I am selling the Boxer Cup, and removed the Ohlins/Fox shocks, and put the stock back on the bike. I enjoyed them for 50K miles and 9 years and sold them for 200 less than I paid new, I did put $200 into having them serviced over the years. so total investment for superior ride and handling is less than $50/year (2 tanks of gas)

In NC, call Dave at Fast Bike Industries in Hendersonville, GREAT GUY and great prices. Tell him the Yankee from NY with the F800GS sent you. He will set them up for you and your weight, riding style and needs.
Linky:
http://fastbikeindustries.com/contact/fast-bike-industries-contact.htm

Last edited:
LOL... thanks for the contact there! BTW... I'm originally from WNY, too - Jamestown. But that was many moons ago. I appreciate your comments!
Best,
Andrew

I'd put suspension upgrades in 2 and 3. The handling of the bike will be transformed especially in corners and on uneven surfaces, but it will also be more comfortable, kinder to your bones, back, neck etc. It's the first change I've made to several BMWs.

Here's another point of view...if you're not feeling your bike doing anything untoward, perhaps you don't need to spend the money on an upgrade.

Many riders don't push their bikes to the point where improved suspension components would benefit them. And that's not a criticism. We all ride differently.

On the other hand, if you're feeling some "uneasiness" as you ride through corners or feel some control issues while heading down the highway you could very well benefit from new shocks. Personally, its the first major modification I make on all my bikes. I'm running an Elka rear and a re-valved factory shock in the front on my 1100S. Makes a world of difference for my type of riding.

If money is no object...spend it! :laugh

If you go to the track, and you're the fastest guy in the intermediate group, and you're thinking about moving up to expert, you need to think about upgrading your suspension. Short of that, the stock suspension is fine. That being said, your shocks will wear out eventually. You may want to look around for a lightly used set to install at the 50K mile point.

OK, so before I get going, I need to say up front that this is as much a philosophical question as it is mechanical. Secondly, it probably makes sense to get the facts on the table:
  • 26,000 miles (10 years) on the stock shocks
  • No known mechanical issues with current shocks - no observed leaking, at least, but performance-wise I have nothing to compare to
  • I'm about 160 lbs, and only occasionally carry luggage in side cases; never a passenger. ever.
  • Most riding is day-trips, some travel, little to no commuting.
  • Typically ride 4-5K miles per year, so I'm not a road-warrior, by any means.
  • Had the bike 3 years, and have no plans of selling/trading it anytime soon.

Now, some philosophy.... I try to prioritize my investments along the following lines (and actually even succeed sometimes! :thumb)
  1. Mechanically necessary to keep the bike running, and remain legal and safe. e.g. tires, battery, brakes, routine maintenance, etc.
  2. Comfort and convenience items - things like my Sargent seat, side cases, touring windshield, etc. May have an incidental impact on safety by reducing fatigue, discomfort, stress, etc. ;)
  3. Pure performance improvements. (none yet)
  4. Cosmetic stuff. (i.e. stickers :)

At this point I'm pretty certain the shocks are not a "category 1" item. Also reasonably sure they're not in #4. That leaves 2 & 3, or some mixture thereof. For whatever reason, I've been looking at the standards - Ohlins, Wilbers, and Hagon - and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth dropping $1,200 - $1,800 on them. Any idea if I'd notice an improvement or difference? If so, would Ohlins or Wilbers be putting "a $10 saddle on a $5 horse"? Should I just wait unitil I have problems with the stock shocks before even worrying about it?

So - let me know what you think. I realize this isn't scientific, so there's probably no 'wrong' answers. Thanks, everyone. And Happy Friday!
Andrew

At the same number of miles, and with my shocks in the same good condition as yours, I purchased a set of Wilbers' shocks from Ted Porter's Beemer Shop. I noticed that my existing front shock was harsh on pavement seams, and the rear shock allowed the rear wheel to hop a bit and feel like it might bottom.

I ordered the shocks and then started trying different pre-loads on the old one while I waited a few weeks for the Wilbers'. Fully in, the rear wheel hop was mitigated, but the front stock shock was still harsh.

The new shocks were easy to install and did change the character of the handling. The front isn't so stiff/harsh and the bike holds the road better. Most of my riding is fast but not crazy-aggressive. The new shocks, now a year old have been a good upgrade but not a revolutionary change.

Different choices for different needs. I pulled my "sport" suspension shocks off my R11S at 12K miles. They worked fine, but were just waaaay too stiff for me, even at lightest settings in the way around. It was either gain 30 lbs, or gain new shocks. Wilbers/Ohlins won, as did my waist line. And the bike handling was trnasformed. Some need the difference, some notice the difference, some put up with what they've got, and some have no clue whatsoever.

With your weight and riding style, at least as much as we can gather from your post, you're probably good for another 10-15k on the stock shocks. As suggested I would play with the settings to see what difference you feel. When you get to the end of adjustability that gives a satisfying ride, you will be at replacement time for sure.
I would add HyperPro to your shopping list. Quality adjustable, rebuildable shocks.
Having finer/better adjustment does make a significant difference, alot depends on your particular riding style if that difference is worth the investment.

OK - first of all, thank-you to everyone who posted a reply with your opinions and advice here. I really appreciate you taking the time to do that.

Now... an update.... So, lack of patience kind of got the better of me, resulting in a Saturday evening (EST) call to Ted Porter's Beemershop. You can probably guess what happened next, especially if you've ever dealt with Ted yourself. He spent the better part of an hour on the phone with me asking questions about my bike, my riding style, weight, gear, etc., and sharing information on some of the finer points of shock/damper construction. I called him with the intent of getting a price on a set of Wilbers, but after talking with him I went with his recommendation and put down a deposit on a set of Yacugar shocks. No blue spring, but Ted felt like they had a slight technical edge for this particular application, and it didn't hurt a bit that they were a few bucks cheaper than the Wilbers. Overall, not bad for a set of custom made shocks.

Anyway, I should get them in 3-4 weeks, and will provide another update after I get them installed. Thanks again! (And yet another thanks to Ted at the Beemershop!)

Andrew

Another Option

I replaced the Stock Shocks on my '99 R1100RT with "Works" Shocks and have been very happy with them. The first ride after putting them on, I couldn't believe it was the same bike!

Sure, I would have bought Ohlins, but I don't push my bike(s) like I used to when I was younger, so the extra 1% better handling would be a waste for me. Besides, Ohlins are really expensive, and although I love my BMW, I do like to eat 3 times a day and sleep indoors, something the cost of the Ohlins would put into jeopardy. LOL

Best of Luck to you. Keep it shiny side up.

Shocks/improved suspension is as much a personal thing as choice of underwear, at least in reading responses from past long threads on pros/cons of suspension upgrades. I for one was sold on the results after rding the stock crap shocks for 120k. The Wilbers simply transformed my bike, and I am not a track day guy, nor am I the fastest rider. I do demo rides for the local BMW dealer so I get to ride all the new models, and my 94RS at 170k miles on Wilbers rides as well as the brand new 2012 BMWs. I do enjoy the twisties and the ride accuracy with quality custom shocks was simply "shocking". Couldn't resist.

Some things to consider though:
1. Cost, yup, you'll spend from $800 (min) to almost $2500 (max) depending on what you chose, Hogons to Olihns.
2. Tire wear/cupping/scalloping. Quality shocks on my 94RS nearly eliminated tire wear/cupping issues I had with the old shocks. The only thing I changed on my RS was the shocks, and tire wear life increased almost 4k, and cupping scalloping was nearly eliminated. I have proved this over three sets of tires and 40k miles.That to me has real value.
3. Long term. Do you plan to keep/ride the bike for many years? Like five, ten or more? Then the cost is really a value.
4. Rebuildability. Custom quality shocks are rebuildable, and you can have them tuned for you as your riding changes.
5. Resale value. To some buyers, quality custom shocks DO add value to buying a pre-owned machine.
6. Transferable. IF you go with custom quality shocks, and replace your current bike with a newer, lower miles similar bike, you could install the shocks on that bike. I know riders who have done this.

Opinions are like,....um,....you know, we all have one. Personally, for me, you don't have to be a go-fast/track day rider to realize the gains of quality shocks. Others feel that stock, crappy, worn out in 30k shocks are fine for the normal rider, that you'll never notice the difference. You have to be the one that determines the value in it. For me, my next bike will have quality shocks as soon as the stock shocks are crapped out.

Shock upgrade opinions? 2004 1150R, 26K miles

This is a very informative thread and there are a few shock names I never heard of before. I've done almost every maint and wear replacement upgrade to my '96 r1100rt last season at 72,000 miles except for the shocks. Highway riding is still relatively smooth on the originals but around town hitting minor bumps you can really feel it. Just before I put the bike away for the winter I upgraded to PR3's which greatly improved the ride and handling from the worn pr2's. Took a ride up to Ct. to see Dave Quinn to discuss Hagon for which he is a distributor. I do like them a lot and while they cost less than Olins, they are still expensive. So are a set of BMW stocks. I'm more of a comfort than speedy rider especially with this heavy bike so racetrack performance is not important to me. At least I can look at a couple more alternatives before pulling the trigger so appreciate this thread.

Back to the original thread I'm surprised that at 26K you would need to change them unless a specific performance upgrade was called for.

mike wex
'96 r1100rt

one of the over riding themes seems to be that people think that

you have to be a rider who rides like a sport rider, or a track day rider to appreciate the "upgrade" of after market shocks.

My two cents is that the bike handles and stops much better with quality shocks that aren't worn out. Because the tires stay on the ground... which is where they are supposed to be; for starting, stopping, and turning.

and while i am throwing out cheap opinions.... I would suggest that by the time that you hit the 24k service; you need to change your stock shocks. They are SHOT! That's not to say that everyone will notice, but they are done. Try riding two-up, and i believe that you will notice the bike wallowing, and bumps can be rather uncomfortable. They wallow!

but again, it's not my $$$, or my bike.

If I tell my wife that my bike wallows(@28k) with her on it will that win her over to the cost of new aftermarket shocks?:) I'm in the group with OEM shocks(however large or small) that has no tires leaving the ground or noticeable instability from needing new shocks or wallowing with luggage.
For me the suggestion is that this (so called?)great machine that is so well engineered and so on & so forth has crap shocks based on BMW's unwillingness to put decent shocks on them OEM?
I say I'm in the "if you race it & want to be in the front row crowd" then buy high end suspension, otherwise I'm using these OEM's until they actually act worn out & they don't.
End of rant...:)

Ask anybody who knows anything about motorcycle racing, and they will all tell you speed comes from the suspension. (as in most motor sports)Then they will tell you the most important part of the suspension is the spring rates. Putting the proper rated spring on your bike for your weight and riding style is the single best improvement you can do. Unfortunately, BMW decided not to make their 'stock' suspensions serviceable by the owners, and some aren't even able to be serviced by experts, which to me is ridiculous. So to get units in which you can change springs, you have to buy a suspension component that should have been on the bike to begin with.

I could change the rear spring on all my dirt bikes (modern; '07 KTM and not so modern; KDX's) with simple hand tools and a good bench vise, and the same with the front springs. And these springs can be bought for less than 150 bucks!

Why in the world does a 90's vintage dirt bike have a suspension system FAR superior to a BMW street bike. I'm talking threaded collar adjustments for spring pre load, 15 to 20 settings for damping and rebound and different densities of jounce stops?

Back