• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Maps

rdcamp

Where is the best place to get regional state, and smaller maps?

Any other way to go about it other then joining AAA?

Delorme gazetteer and atlas.

AAA maps are only good if you plan on taking the interstate, anything that even resembles a turn or back road is not shown.

Try the state tourist departments. If you go to a state's website you can usually find them there and in most cases the maps are free. Ditto for Canada

Most give tourism sites just direct you to online maps now. For pure road maps try AAA / rand McNally. For great pure motorcycle maps try googling butler maps. A little pricier but focus on great motorcycle roads

Try the state tourist departments. If you go to a state's website you can usually find them there and in most cases the maps are free. Ditto for Canada

+1 Pretty much all the state and provincial tourism agencies will send you their official road maps free.

AAA/CAA maps are free for members but can be purchased by non-members. They also have large scale regional maps for many areas.

Most give tourism sites just direct you to online maps now. For pure road maps try AAA / rand McNally. For great pure motorcycle maps try googling butler maps. A little pricier but focus on great motorcycle roads

Butler doesn't seem to have anything in NY or New England :(

I can tell you that if you get an official state of oklahoma map that they have scenic routes listed that really are more scenic... i think some states actually have motorcycle route maps... you have to look state by state.

I like Delorme state maps to plan a route and use a spiral note pad to copy down routes and places of interest. The pad is visible under a plastic window on my tank bag. My GPS is used for accurate speed (my speedometer is over 5mph fast at 60mph), to verify location, and to find gas & eats. I carry a Michelin Road atlas in case an interesting or required detour comes up. I try to avoid interstate highways when ever possible and plan to tent camp as much as I can. A 500 mile day allows me to enjoy traveling across country and leaves plenty of time to set up & break camp each day.

RIDE SAFE

Either the Rand McNally web site or AMAZON.com will put hundreds of maps / atlas's at your fingertips.

Good Luck!

A lot of states have pdf versions on their websites. I download those and store them on my ipad for viewing at stops. Before a trip I will use my computer and color printer to print the sections I want. The nice part about them being pdf files instead of jpg or gif images is that you can zoom in and it still looks good (not pixelated). I print the sections I need and trim them to fit in my tank bag map pocket. In fact, I have a small stack for the areas around Austin and depending on which direction I head I just shuffle through the stack and find the one with the best coverage and put it on top.

The best part is when it gets faded or torn up, I just print it again. And viewing the whole thing on my ipad is really nice. Would would for a smartphone also.

If I am not in a hurry I will request a map from the states' tourism departments.
If I am in a hurry I go to Barnes and Noble, they usually have a very good map selection for various regions of the country.
If I am traveling I try to stop at the state visitor centers and pick up a map.

Speaking of maps, the best map you'll find of Nova Scotia is available for free in the welcome center.

While traveling on the interstates the first rest stop in each state usually have the newest state maps for free.

Me too;

State Welcome Centers offer tons of free data, including their latest maps. Still love my maps for the big picture:). GPS is fine for the immediate, very closeby in front of me stuff. My wanderings often take me around and about, frequently altering my path because of maps with interesting data on'em. GPS cannot do that, in my book anyhow. ANY BEST map pockets found by anybody? I see Aerostitch has a few of interest that may serve well. These strap to handlebar crossbar on the adventure bikes:). My GSA has this crossbar. My tankbag lifestyle has gone by the wayside, not using'em anymore. Pain in the arse, my latest tankbags:(. Tank panniers much better, imo. Just need a decent MAP Pocket display? Anybody? Randy

Back