• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Burgman 650? 400? Opinions please?

I bought a 2013 650 Burgman recently with 5000 miles and have not even ridden it yet. I'm still stranded in Taiwan but will be back in Texas ( I hope in Feb. 2022). I bought it off craigslist in New Braunfels, Texas and my brother checked it out and will keep it lubed and ridden until I return. I have ridden one here in Taiwan and was really impressed with the handling and the speed. With that said, I recently rode a Kymco AK550 and was equally impressed but it's feel is more like a sport bike rather than a tourer. It's fast, sporty, has a low center of gravity and feels solid like it was poured from a mold, a much sleeker feel to it than the Burgman.

Attachments

• 1626237758997.jpg
    1626237758997.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 57
You want the power and transmission of the 650 so that you can leave a**holes behind, be sure to get the option where themirrors flip in to make lane splitting easier.

You want the power and transmission of the 650 so that you can leave a**holes behind, be sure to get the option where themirrors flip in to make lane splitting easier.

I put a fair amount of miles on Burgmans, both an early 400 and a late model 650.
The 400 was fine one-up on the freeway but the rear suspension and feet forward riding position were a little hard on my back.
The 650 was a cruise missile, low, smooth, quiet and fast. Electric windshield, electric mirrors, heated grips, heated seat. It was a very refined machine.

Some early 400’s had oil consumption issues, mine did not.
Some early and mid 650’s had CVT issues. Dealer CVT replacement is around $4k.

My sister had a Burgman. After checking up on them I recommended the 650 to her, as she was planning to commute about 50 miles each way back and forth from work. It was a great little bike, fun to ride and easy to operate.

Unfortunately, one of her sons decided he should "borrow" it, unbeknownst to her, and take it for a little joyriding excursion. He had no license, no training, no experience whatsoever, but figured "if Mom can do it, so can I", disregarding the fact that I had spent a few weeks preparing "Mom", and she'd passed her license first time out.

So much for the Burgman.

Fortunately, our young genius wasn't injured beyond some scrapes and bruises. The machine didn't fare as well. She ended up selling it for parts to a guy who had the same model year.

Back