• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Burgman 650? 400? Opinions please?

Have any of you "scoot people" ridden the Aprilia 500? I have seen a few sell on ebay & they are powerful & lightweight plus have bigger tires than the Vespa's, I think? If so how'd it compare?

>>Have any of you "scoot people" ridden the Aprilia 500?<<

Yes, I had an Aprilia Atlantic (500) a few years ago, and it was very powerful and smooth. However, the thing you have to be careful of with Aprilia (and most Italian marques) is a spotty dealer/service network, to say nothing of parts scarcity. When it gets to the point where I'm sick of muscling my K75 around my next scooter will be a Suzuki, for the aforementioned reasons.

Have any of you "scoot people" ridden the Aprilia 500? I have seen a few sell on ebay & they are powerful & lightweight plus have bigger tires than the Vespa's, I think? If so how'd it compare?

The Aprilla 500 is a nice scooter...the main problem is parts availability if needed. For a maxi scoost there are better choices in my opinion.

Yesterday I traded my 07 Burgman 650 Executive with 37K miles for a new C 650 GT. I only have a bout 110 miles on the GT so I haven't pushed it yet. SO how is the Burgman Ex? It is an incredible machine, deceivingly fast. Comfortable and no problem cruising at 80 mph two up. The electronic CVT is smooth and can be put into a power (sport) mode or simulated manual. Handling is a little clumsy at low speeds and the ECTV tends to "buck" at low speeds, takes some getting used to.

The storage under the seat is cavernous and well planned out...unfortunate not everything else is.

The OEM windscreen is inadequate. Way too much buffeting and back pressure. I replaced with a clearview medium with goldwing vent...somewhat better. I'm 5'11" with 30" inseam and was able to flat foot easily. Leg room was pretty good but not great. I needed 1" bar risers and still had a little bit of a reach.

In all honesty....I loved that scooter! So why did I trade it in at 37K? The ECVT. There have been many CVT primary spline and other failures. At 24K I had the primary clutch bearing go bad. Bearing replacement cost? $3,000. Luckily I was under extended warranty so my cost was $0.

I performed all scheduled maintenance and at 37K I wasn't trusting the trans any more. Started hearing some whining (bearing) and a few clunks in the final drive. Being out of warranty I made the decision to part with it while I could still get some cash out of it. If the trans went again I would probably part it out. This is why some people consider the 650 and exec as disposable scooters...get enough miles on it and it is not worth repairing.

I will say that I enjoyed every mile I put on my 07 Ex but I believe I have stepped up with the C 650 GT. Standard CVTs don't scare me. I have rebuilt and modified smaller displacement scooters and I rebuild and modify Vintage Vespas. I am sure that Malossi, DR, and others will begin making aftermarket modification parts available soon.

This is gonna be fun!

As far as the Burgman 400s they are great scooters. If you get one just be sure it is post 07. Pre 07 models had incredibly short service intervals for things like valve adjustments.

I just left the Aprilia web site & while their are no dealers in KY there are many-7- in OH above me-way more than BMW, and TN & IN had one too. Do the dealers have no parts to get or just slow to get??? It is the scoot that most appeals to me when simply looking at the machine and its configuration as no matter how the others with bigger engines ride, they are shall I say long and bulky looking-sort of like the mfg's brother in law owns a plastic factory. Take no offense as we all know its a strong ,light material. Just my age & a guy that still thinks a standard MC looks the best vs space age stuff on the market. The only scoots I've ridden were 50cc-not counting my buddies Cushman Eagle yrs ago so I have zero frame of reference for a scoot that scoots. Like several of you I'm thinking of downsizing my future ride as aging takes its toll.:wave Certainly not there yet but looking, plus scoots are fun.

I just left the Aprilia web site & while their are no dealers in KY there are many-7- in OH above me-way more than BMW, and TN & IN had one too. Do the dealers have no parts to get or just slow to get??? It is the scoot that most appeals to me when simply looking at the machine and its configuration as no matter how the others with bigger engines ride, they are shall I say long and bulky looking-sort of like the mfg's brother in law owns a plastic factory. Take no offense as we all know its a strong ,light material. Just my age & a guy that still thinks a standard MC looks the best vs space age stuff on the market. The only scoots I've ridden were 50cc-not counting my buddies Cushman Eagle yrs ago so I have zero frame of reference for a scoot that scoots. Like several of you I'm thinking of downsizing my future ride as aging takes its toll.:wave Certainly not there yet but looking, plus scoots are fun.

Maybe you could wander down to the mountains of Virginia and ride with us again in the spring. You can ride my Burgman 400 and see how you like it. There are a lot of Suzuki dealers around and there is a good aftermarket for parts and accessories.

I've never ridden one, or even sat on one, but ALL the guys I've met on the road on one have seemed super happy and had a big grin on their faces.
I've often wondered what I might be missing but a lot of things are like that.

Maybe you could wander down to the mountains of Virginia and ride with us again in the spring. You can ride my Burgman 400 and see how you like it. There are a lot of Suzuki dealers around and there is a good aftermarket for parts and accessories.
Thanks for the hospitality gesture! Actually I'm "chomping at the bit" to do just that. Not only did I not get in my Mexico ride, winter has been hanging on here. Been boiling my maple sap in the snow today then run to the shop & put some more parts on a MC, then back. We have Suzuki place ~ 20k form me but they are new owners & lean on atv's mostly. I rode their 2012 Wee-strom back in late summer & it was a nice ride but The bike had been put together by Fred Flinstone & actually was not safe in some ways-have to be a real deal to buy there. I did read some on ADV today on the Aprilia Scarebo 500 which is much the same as Piaggio 500 & several there like them a bunch but say the Italians are sluggish when you need a part for the scoots or their bikes. There's one on Ebay now that has a very informative ad from a true/rider/seller. My bikes sitting & ready to go. I'll probably stay nearer to where you guys live this time as that last motel further south is kinda shop worn!

Thanks for the hospitality gesture! Actually I'm "chomping at the bit" to do just that. Not only did I not get in my Mexico ride, winter has been hanging on here. Been boiling my maple sap in the snow today then run to the shop & put some more parts on a MC, then back. We have Suzuki place ~ 20k form me but they are new owners & lean on atv's mostly. I rode their 2012 Wee-strom back in late summer & it was a nice ride but The bike had been put together by Fred Flinstone & actually was not safe in some ways-have to be a real deal to buy there. I did read some on ADV today on the Aprilia Scarebo 500 which is much the same as Piaggio 500 & several there like them a bunch but say the Italians are sluggish when you need a part for the scoots or their bikes. There's one on Ebay now that has a very informative ad from a true/rider/seller. My bikes sitting & ready to go. I'll probably stay nearer to where you guys live this time as that last motel further south is kinda shop worn!

I will chime in here and say that if we can coordinate this effort , you are welcome to ride my 650 Burgman at the same time.

I say we have a faceoff of scoots! I did read an Aprilia Scarebo comment the guy said he had fun easily beating his buddies fire breathing Ford F150 in a green light dual. maybe thats where the term cliche "it really scoots" comes from?:)

Have just replaced my R80 with a Bergman 650. First time I have not had a BMW in my garage in 43 years. Tough pill for me to swallow as I was a Rocker back in the day. If you don't know what that means, you are too young to understand. I am getting old and am having trouble getting my leg over a bike, hence a step through!
First impressions. Fast, Handles well. Lots of power, and a hoot to ride. Take some getting used to other riders ignoring you. Seems I am not worthy. Had it up to 167 km/h. So its plenty fast. Takes off like a scared rabbit if you start off in power mode. For me its a way to stay on two wheels for a few more years.

Have just replaced my R80 with a Bergman 650. First time I have not had a BMW in my garage in 43 years. Tough pill for me to swallow as I was a Rocker back in the day. If you don't know what that means, you are too young to understand. I am getting old and am having trouble getting my leg over a bike, hence a step through!
First impressions. Fast, Handles well. Lots of power, and a hoot to ride. Take some getting used to other riders ignoring you. Seems I am not worthy. Had it up to 167 km/h. So its plenty fast. Takes off like a scared rabbit if you start off in power mode. For me its a way to stay on two wheels for a few more years.

Cool :thumb

Throw us a picture?

Nothing wrong with scooters………’specially one with some scoot!

OM

Back