• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Another gps query

lgb

Ive tried a couple of searches and I dont come up with the right information. So, I thought Id ask, if anyone knows the differences between a BMW Navigator IV vs. a Garmin 6xx from a first hand experience. Pros and cons for each?? Any information would be appreciated. Id like to make the right and informed choice :dunno

The Nav IV is the 665 Zumo with a cradle. A lot depends how much you like the cradle.

I have the 660 Zumo which is the 665 minus XM capability. Since I have 600+ songs on a micro SD card, and can change them, and play them randomly, I do not care.

The Nav IV does not have XM, it's the same as the 660. The Nav IV comes with a lifetime map update subscription (at least mine did).

Too Old/stupid

This wonderful world of high tech / info just overpowers me.
I have the NAV 4, free with purchase promo and I am still figuring out all the different connection, operation procedures, interfaces, abilities,.....,......, ......., ......:hungover. Every time I start reading another post about
what does what to what and how it does it and why my head starts spinning.
I'm going back to paper and my tank bag:laugh
Or....now I have to use my tank bag map area for the cheat sheets that tell me how to use all the buttons/switches/communicators/thing-ah-ma-jigs/overrides/readouts/highteckie do-dads. I need a heads up display that is interactive with my line of sight so I can keep both hands on the bars and go fast.:bolt
I love tech but this is getting ridiculous.

How about something that rubs my back after 500 miles? Bluetooth not required!

:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

You could join the Zumo Forum and ask there.
http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php

I copied this reply from the Zumo Forum

There are some other (major) differences. Probably most importantantly the Navigator IV's does not support wired audio output in the motorcycle mount - this is only supported via Bluetooth. The ambilical cord of the 660 is also missing on the Navigator. Also note that the Navigator IV does not come with a vehicle mount.
You can find more detail at http://www.balderston.net/Navigator.htm.

Comparison with the Garmin ZUMO 660
ÔÇó The BMW Motorrad Navigator IV is based on the Garmin ZUMO 660. Consequently, the two share same basic hardware and software.
ÔÇó Different appearance on account of different housing colours (Navigator IV black, ZUMO 660 silver) and the different font panels (removable). Customers will not be able to tell at first glance that the Navigator IV is based on the Garmin ZUMO 660.
ÔÇó It is only for the BMW Motorrad Navigator IV that the Advanced Mount Cradle with its array of 4 pushbuttons works, making the unit much easier to use while the motorcycle is on the road. Both units share the same method of attachment. The Garmin ZUMO fits into the Advanced Mount Cradle, but the 4 pushbutton controls do not work for the Garmin ZUMO. The BMW Motorrad Navigator also fits the Garmin mount without extra pushbutton controls and its full built-in functionality is available in this mount.
ÔÇó Only the Navigator IV can be used with the connecting cable to connect it directly and easily to the BMW Motorrad OA socket and thus to the motorcycle's on-board power supply (waterproof plug). Once the unit is connected in this way the built-in battery is kept continuously charged (applies only when the Sat Nav unit is ON). The Garmin ZUMO 660 connects to the power supply by cables with open ends (inline fuse); customers find this a lot more complicated and sometimes beyond their abilities. Use of the BMW Motorrad connecting cable is no longer possible for the Garmin ZUMO 660, because the cable is permanently connected to the Mount Cradle.
ÔÇó In principle, the two devices use the same software. the BMW Motorrad Navigator IV has a BMW Motorrad start screen and incorporates the BMW Motorrad dealership database. Uploading the BMW software to the Garmin ZUMO 660 will not damage the unit, but exclusive BMW functions remain unavailable (along with the start screen and the dealership database, this includes Bluetooth data interchange between two Sat Nav units and the functions of the Advanced Mount Cradles).
ÔÇó The audio port (on the left in both cases) is covered in the case of the Navigator IV by the Advanced Mount Cradle; in the case of the Garmin ZUMO 660 it always remains accessible. This audio port, however, is not needed on the road for the communication system offered by BMW Motorrad, because audio signals are transmitted by wireless via Bluetooth. During breaks, headphones can be connected to the audio ports of both units, as that the built-in MP3 player can be used. The Navigator IV has to be removed from the motorcycle mount in order to be used in this way.
ÔÇó Both devices have an audio jack on the cable set of the (Advanced) Mount Cradles for connecting a wired intercom system. The ZUMO 660 outputs sound in stereo, the Navigator IV in mono quality (perfectly adequate for voice). Only the Navigator IV has a connection that remains permanently waterproof.
ÔÇó The Garmin ZUMO 660 has an additional port on the cable set of the Mount Cradle as the input for a microphone and a mini-USB port. Neither of the two are permanently waterproof.
− The Navigator IV does not support an external microphone on the motorcycle. Using handsfree for phoning with the Navigator IV and a Bluetooth mobile phone while riding a motorcycle requires a Bluetooth-compatible helmet (does not apply to in-car use; the built-in microphone in the Navigator IV is used along with the built-in speaker).
− Unlike the Navigator IV, the Garmin ZUMO 660 has a mini-USB port in the wiring harness for an optional TMC receiver. Neither the port nor the TMC receiver itself are waterproof. Use of the TMC receiver on the motorcycle is expressly prohibited. This is the reason why the Navigator IV dispenses with a connection of this nature. For in-car use, both units can be connected to the in-car mount and the TMC receiver used in this way.ÔÇó The ZUMO 660 comes complete with a universal motorcycle mount; the Garmin instructions for use state that extra hardware might be necessary for user-specific installation. The Navigator IV needs a motorcycle-specific mount, optimised for each model, that has to be ordered separately.
ÔÇó BMW Motorrad Navigator IV comes with a 2 year warranty!

Last edited:
In my 660 I have the BMW M/C dealer database (and I make it current using Excel and dealer website's GPS coordinates), a $-for Radar speed and red light cam cam file, and great places to eat on the road. Garmin's POILoader is a great free software.

BTW, use these for a Where-To and plug in addresses, then Save to Favorites. You can delete from there, too.

Additionally I gave up on BT. Wired headphones are better at slightly excessive highway speed.

In my 660 I have the BMW M/C dealer database (and I make it current using Excel and dealer website's GPS coordinates),.

I downloaded the dealer list to our Nuvis from the POI Factory, but the list was 2 years old and I'm not smart enough to figure out how to edit the list.

This wonderful world of high tech / info just overpowers me.
I have the NAV 4, free with purchase promo and I am still figuring out all the different connection, operation procedures, interfaces, abilities,.....,......, ......., ......:hungover. Every time I start reading another post about
what does what to what and how it does it and why my head starts spinning.

I feel pretty much the same way....

I do appreciate the links and the information!

Really don't know why you'd want a radio option on a bike if you can have XM via a 665. I don't like the idea of an excessive gadget oriented visual as I ride. Too distracting... a radar, a GPS, maybe some music. I'd like to keep it simple. It seems if you want to run XM, and you have a Nav IV, then you need to have the additional XM setup. Too many gadgets... What would be the easiest and cleanest way to go?
Also wondering if Autocom is a contender in these Bluetooth days? Thanks all!

... What would be the easiest and cleanest way to go?
Also wondering if Autocom is a contender in these Bluetooth days? Thanks all!

Keep in mind I don't listen to anything on the bike, but if it was me, I would be interested in the 665 with XM and would plug into the 665 with ear buds that also cancel outside noise.
Don't forget if you want XM you need the optional antenna, which looks like a puck.

The only problem with XM for me, is I already pay for two radios in the cars and I might be too cheap to pay for a third one on the bike. Make that four if my wife wanted XM on her bike.

Don't laugh, I still use a paper map in my tank bag as my main navigation and only use the GPS as an additional aide.
I like paper maps for the big picture and use the GPS to let me know when I'll get there and what POIs are nearby.

If I have a route loaded into the GPS, I look at it for turns I need to make, but also look at the paper map to make sure the GPS is taking a route that makes sense.

I don't mess with Routes. I set the address and Go! My preferences of roads change often.

The only problem with XM for me, is I already pay for two radios in the cars and I might be too cheap to pay for a third one on the bike.
I was paying for two cars and a bike. I dropped the XM for one of the cars ( a Porsche that I drive occasionally) and the bike. I went with Pandora and Radio One on my iPhone 4 and couldn't be happier. I use a Zumo 660 for the GPS.

Navigator V rumor

Has anyone heard if and when the Navigator V will be out. I would hate to buy the IV and have a new one come out in a few months.

Back