• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

quality service manual

kthflieger

Just curious if there is overall concensus on a quality aftermarket service/maintenance manual? I wasn't overly impressed with BMWs factory CD version. What do you guys think?

Just curious if there is overall concensus on a quality aftermarket service/maintenance manual? I wasn't overly impressed with BMWs factory CD version. What do you guys think?
I was chastised the other day by a lady who said "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!" So I won't say the RepROM CD sucks.

RepRom is simply a compilation of the same procedures BMW mechanics use at BMW dealers. And they have in addition BMW training and BMW special tools and a hotline to call.

NO MANUFACTURER produces a "service manual for dummies." (no offense)

That's the market for Haynes and Clymer and they IMHO do a fairly weak job of it.

As always, my suggestion is quit trying to be a lone wolf and join your local BMW club ... where you'll find someone who's BTDT and willing to help. Lots of BMW clubs have an engineer or two as members, and if you're not an engineer you'll be quite surprised how easy this stuff is for them. They'll get along fine with RepRom, too.

The BMW CD assumes you know what you are doing and how to do it, and only serves as a guide.
Clymer is preferred by some, Haynes by other, while many like to use both in unison.
Beyond that (less than that, as per complexity of task?) would be the DVDs by Jim vonBaden which go over some of the more routine maintenance tasks.
Depends upon what you need, and what you already know how to do.
Also, many jobs are detailed on the ibmwra site http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/index.shtml

I like my F800 RepRom. But I have a fairly decent idea of what I'm doing. The search feature is nice to have and I can print off the steps I need if I want to. It's also a hell of a lot thinner than a paper manual :laugh

RepRom is simply a compilation of the same procedures BMW mechanics use at BMW dealers. And they have in addition BMW training and BMW special tools and a hotline to call.

NO MANUFACTURER produces a "service manual for dummies." (no offense)

That's the market for Haynes and Clymer and they IMHO do a fairly weak job of it.

As always, my suggestion is quit trying to be a lone wolf and join your local BMW club ... where you'll find someone who's BTDT and willing to help. Lots of BMW clubs have an engineer or two as members, and if you're not an engineer you'll be quite surprised how easy this stuff is for them. They'll get along fine with RepRom, too.
Sorry Kent but this isn't my first rodeo. I have bought service manuals for every motorcycle I've own since about 1965. Some are better than others. RepRom, even if it were in print is by far the worst manual I have ever used. Yep, the Haynes and Clymer's are very week too because most try to put too many models into one book. There was a time that in the owners manual there was a card to purchase a manufacturers version of the service manual.

I like Clymer better than Haynes because it's easier for me to understand. I also have a CD which I like for the diagrams. Then again, most of my bike maintenance has been relatively easy stuff so the Clymer has been adequate.

+1 on joining a local club and having fun riding and wrenching with friends!

thanks for the input guys - you too Kent! This isn't my first rodeo either nor am I playing lone wolf...there are lots of good local resources, including my dealer, but as they say in ze old kuntry - knowledge is power and if there was a new wizbang manual out there .........!

Back