• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Aftermarket Tank Bag For a K75

If you can find a bag with a four-point mounting system it will be a little easier to install. Under the front of the seat the two frame tubes are the obvious rear mounting points, and should give a more stable mount. That said, RKA makes excellent bags and developed their system when the K100s were new. The RKA guy I talked to at A&S in Roseville said to just make a loop out of their rear mounting strap, run it around those tubes, and you're good to go. RKA bags, in whatever size works for you, are quite nice. I ran a Cortech for two years until the bag pad beat itself to death in the wind and sun. I currently run tankbag-less and will be following this thread.

If you can find a bag with a four-point mounting system it will be a little easier to install. Under the front of the seat the two frame tubes are the obvious rear mounting points, and should give a more stable mount. That said, RKA makes excellent bags and developed their system when the K100s were new. The RKA guy I talked to at A&S in Roseville said to just make a loop out of their rear mounting strap, run it around those tubes, and you're good to go. RKA bags, in whatever size works for you, are quite nice. I ran a Cortech for two years until the bag pad beat itself to death in the wind and sun. I currently run tankbag-less and will be following this thread.

This is not the first time someone has suggested bags made by RKA. My dealer also recommends them. A local independent carries the Wolfman line but does not stock the bags that work on a K brick. I have spoken to a couple of dirt bikers that use Wolfman gear and they speak very highly of the brand.

Another independent dealer stocks Cortech and I am leaning in that direction. It is my understanding that the padded base may be purchased separately if ever needed. Did you like your Cortech?

I liked it. It was convenient as a small backpack off the bike, and it was narrow enough not to limit steering. I think I have the 10 liter size. Build quality was just fine, too, except for the base (probably UV related). I haven't been able to find the padded base through the usual retailers, so I'm using a regular backpack these days. Sure is easier to gas up! Here's a photo...

Attachments

• cortech tankbag.jpg
    cortech tankbag.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 149
I liked it. It was convenient as a small backpack off the bike, and it was narrow enough not to limit steering. I think I have the 10 liter size. Build quality was just fine, too, except for the base (probably UV related). I haven't been able to find the padded base through the usual retailers, so I'm using a regular backpack these days. Sure is easier to gas up! Here's a photo...

Your right, that pad has seen better days. I think you can still get another pad. I have seen them online.

Tank bag for K 75

I'm using a Chase Harper nothing fancy model. It has a good size main compartment that is expandable and a longish side zippered pouch on each side, just barely big emough for a store bought bottle of water, if you don't zip it up but a little. It may have come w/ magnets that look real nice in the shop or a pad that probably been cut up long ago. I made 4 strap attachments and turn it around backwards. It was probably in the $125 range years and years ago and I think they still make tank bags and still close to the same price range. I do like this one. I have had Harro Elephant Boy tankbags(worn out 2) to much smaller bags over the years and they all get in the way but are plenty handy, especially to carry valuables in front of you, not behind you. I never buy a tank bag unless I can put my hands on it/see it in the flesh and able to compromise a little. I did see a nice tank bag the other day on an Aussies Moto Guzzi by Ortlieb (sp?),
bicycle gear and waterproof rubber material.
Charlie

Bagman 14 litre on 1991 K100RS

I found a guy on Craig's List locally who had two Bagman bags and one strap base. I have no idea how old they are or if they still make bags like it. The 14 Litre I use every day and the bigger one, 20 Litre? is too wide and the bars at full lock hit it is a distracting way. I like the way it snaps in and out of the base with some good metal studs. The fleece base on the bag part has not scratched anything. I can unsnap the left or right side to fuel and it hangs off the other side without issues (If I make sure it is zipped up!). It has handy side and rear pockets for keeping things orderly.

I do not like the map pocket! It tapers towards the back which is a pleasing shape for the bag, but to insert the map, you have to slide it through about a 4 inch slot, even though the window is over 6 inches wide once the map is inside. It wrecks the maps faster than normal that way. I do not like the non-reflective matt window either. You have to press the window down directly onto the map to read anything! Not as safe at highway speeds as my other bag.

I have a Nelson Rigg bag that I like much better, but the magnets don't work on aluminum. I use that on my SR500 and my newer Rockster. The map pocket is more clear and loads from the side for easier access and placement.

And you did not have any problems with the switches on your bars? With a bag that big, I would think that could be a problem.

I had an Eclipse tank bag on my R60. Loved the bag, hated the 3 point mount system and the tank padding.

Back