• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Stubborn Woodriff Key on Crank

kwb210

I am replacing a timing chain and small sprocket on a 1984 R100 with about 125,000 miles of excellent care on the clock. The chain is slightly loose and the upper sprocket shows some wear - so - replace it before it causes a problem. The bearing came off easily with a puller. The sprocket was a real bear to get loose. Took a lot of pressure for it to give up its grip on the crankshaft. The only other one I have done I just gave the woodriff key a bit of pressure, a tap with a tiny little hammer, and it came out. This key will not move. I even held a flat punch against the end of it and gave a bit of a tap, nothing. :banghead The key sits low in the front and just slighly higher in the back. It will not budge. I am looking for some ideas on how to remove it. Considering a new woodriff key is $1.40 it is in the budget to replace(!!!). Thoughts
Regards,
Kurt

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 55
Heat. If not immeadiatly effective, try Alternative heat cycles. Soak in Kroil.
I think heat causing the groove to expand will probably work for you.

Back