Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A Yankee in New Zealand - Riding a Dream on the South Island

John had to warn us on some of the rides to be careful and pay attention especially when riding through Haast Pass or to Mt. Cook. On the ride to and from Milford Sound the waterfalls are literally pouring from the enormous mountains. They turn from dry to rich, lush mountains. The water is so clear it makes you thirsty. You can see deep and for miles. There is an intimacy with nature that is unavoidable, especially when you are standing on top of a glacier packed with snow in the warm early morning sunshine or on a boat ride that's bringing you directly under a waterfall. There is almost no ambient light so the moon, the stars, the late sunsets and early morning sunrises are breathtaking.

Below: Off on a side trip to one of Nelsons glacial lakes, Lake Rotoroa just south of Gowanbridge. A ferry is nearby to take you across the lake.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

On both the east and west side you'll get your fill of seals frolicking playfully in the tidal pools. In Kaikoura, we were actually less than five feet away from harbor seals sunning themselves in the parking lot. You're not observing nature; you're in it and part of it.

Below: One of the many seals enjoying the sun and warm sidewalk. Home of the Peninsula Seal Colony, located in Kaikoura.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

After a while, there's no other word to say but "wow!" I attempted a swim with the dolphins, but they were quite shy that day. Out in Karamea we saw some kids jumping into the river off of a bridge more than 40 feet high! After bungee jumping and jet boating in Queenstown earlier on, we felt fearless and gave it a try.

Below: Bungee Jumping off of the Kawarau Bridge into the Kawarau River.

Make sure that you give yourself enough time to explore the Honeycomb caves, Scott's beach and Oparara Arches. On this tour we got to play and experience it all by seaplane, helicopter, boat and on a motorcycle. Riding through Buller Gorge was so dynamic with the road undercut into the mountain; I stopped and said to Abdullah, "How do you describe this?" We both agreed, "It's like heaven on Earth."

Below: One of my solo traveling days on the sheep spotted, horse filled road from Akaroa to Rangiora.

John Fitzwater

John guide is an active participant not just an observer. He's genuine, sincere, intelligent and humorous. He takes you off the beaten path and that's what makes his tours special.

Below: John Fitzwater, the owner of Adventure New Zealand Motorcycle Tours & Rentals Ltd.

I signed up for the Best of the Best tour because it fit my schedule. There are two other tours to consider as well and they are the Best Value tour and the Fun and Funky tour.

Below: Map of our route around the South Island beginning in Nelson.

The combination of good road surfaces, a fantastic bike with new tires and a great fit, the freedom of knowing that everything you want or need is taken care of (literally, the thinking is done for you) allows you to fully experience, enjoy and take everything in that New Zealand has to offer. It's been described as a mystical, magical playground. Your job is to just ride and enjoy.

For More Information

For more information about this and other tours, or to sign up for a tour, go to www.GoTourNZ.com or e-mail John or Ian Fitzwater at mctours@GoTourNZ.com. Their motto is, "We create great motorcycle vacations that you'll remember with pleasure for the rest of your life." Soon to come, Ian Fitzwater and Sophie Gallais will be leading tours in France. For more information go to http://www.lespe****gallais.fr/. [Note: the URL was edited due to forum software, so replace the **** with "t i t s" without the spaces.]

Thumbs up A Yankee in New Zealand - Riding a Dream on the South Island

Hello!
    After much proding and assistance coupled with an extreme amount of patience from Gary, I have been encouraged to join the forum in order to post a few of the trips that I have been lucky to be invited on and write about. I have been riding for 18 years. Ever since I flung a leg over a bike, I had always wanted a BMW and said that I wanted to ride in New Zealand and Alaska. They say that all you have to do is put it out there and somehow the universe makes it happen. Well, both riding experiences did happen as well as being fortunate enough to drive cross country including some parts of Canada as well. Now who does that their first year of riding...? Someone who has to make up for lost time, hey! Kurt was kind enough to do the conversion of an article that I wrote about touring in New Zealand. The article appeared in the BMWMOA magazine a few years back. Since then, I have returned to New Zealand for an on road/off road tour and was invited to tour in Alaska! So, dreams and wishes do come true. I hope you enjoy reading the article and it promts you to go for it. BMWMichele