• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New travel camera

None of the majors make bad cameras but some are better than others, even at a given price range.

You need to decide what is important. megapixels, sensor sensitivity, zoom capability, image stabilization, or other bells and whistles like face detection, lots of settings, etc.

Panasonic is using all glass Leica lenses with long zoom ranges. My DMC ZS9 has a 16 power optical zoom and image stabilization which work very well. I have a 20"x30" print on canvas which is excellent and hanging in the living room. This is because of the quality of the lens.

I couldn't agree more. Having done photography for a living for quite a few years people were always asking me what to get. It's not always that simple in the world of point and shoot. There have been Nikons I have just loved but others are just losers. Canon makes decent stuff but their cheaper stuff can be, well, cheaper.

A lot of what's right depends on what you like and what the situation is going to be. For example a friend just went to Africa on a safari. I recommended the Sony HX-50. It has great zoom and a nice sensor. She just got back and called to thank me profusely as it was not only a big hit for her but made many of the other safari goers envious.

Right now I am using the Sony RX100 but considering the RX10 although it's a bit larger and not inexpensive. I guess it all matters what's important to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Having done photography for a living...Right now I am using the Sony RX100 but considering the RX10

That's interesting, because I've read a number of comments on the photo threads, by pros and by enthusiasts, who have moved to Sony from Canon/Nikon models.

Last edited:
I checked out the review in DPReview, and that looks like an excellent choice for a bike travel camera. You can drop it 2 metres.

I like it because it fits in a fairing pocket too. So you don't have to keep it in your jacket pocket to have it readily available. I don't believe in keeping hard objects in your riding suit, on a get-off it can cause an injury of its own making.

One other reason to get a camera of this type is that it has an internal zoom. No long nose extending and retracting. That is a weakness that causes most failures on those big zoom types especially with any rough handling.

Back