• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Guy From Spartanburg, SC

chewbacca

Hi All,
Just joined yesterday. Been riding since about 1966. Got my 1200GS for my birthday last year. Wife gave me a direct order to buy it :newtoy Got the GS to ride the twisties, not a dual sporter at all. Got tired of working my butt off chasing a couple GS riding buddies.

Mostly a day rider from April to December from North GA to the Western tip of VA. Favorite place to ride is WV.

Chewbacca is my forum name but real name is Rod.

Welcome

Ask plenty of questions here so your buddies won't know you didn't read the manual.
Post specifics in the Hexhead/Camhead forum.
Sounds like your GS is about to rack up some serious miles.
Have fun!

We are in a great place for riding

Welcome to the forum from another Spartanburg based rider. There are a bunch of us around this town and I saw a couple while out on todays ride. This site is a great place to look for answers to all things dealing with riding, life and BMWs, so ask those questions that pop up now and then.
If you see a silver R1150RT around town ridden by a guy in a yellow helmet, give a wave because it is probably me. Dave

Hi All,
Just joined yesterday. Been riding since about 1966. Got my 1200GS for my birthday last year. Wife gave me a direct order to buy it :newtoy Got the GS to ride the twisties, not a dual sporter at all. Got tired of working my butt off chasing a couple GS riding buddies.

Mostly a day rider from April to December from North GA to the Western tip of VA. Favorite place to ride is WV.

Chewbacca is my forum name but real name is Rod.

Welcome to the forum Chewy.

Welcome to the Club and the Forum, Rod. :wave Looking forward to seeing a picture of your new ride, which you can most likely ride today, (unlike us in the snowy north :(.)

Welcome Rod!

When I bought my GS, I wasn't a dual sporter either. :brow

Never say never!

Welcome to the forum from another Spartanburg based rider. There are a bunch of us around this town and I saw a couple while out on todays ride. This site is a great place to look for answers to all things dealing with riding, life and BMWs, so ask those questions that pop up now and then.
If you see a silver R1150RT around town ridden by a guy in a yellow helmet, give a wave because it is probably me. Dave
I haven't seen too many BMW's around town except heading up 221. I live near Mayo off 221. We'll have to do some riding.

I'll try to get some pics up pretty soon. Just getting the hang of this site.

My heart bleeds for you guys in the snow. Born in Ohio and lived seven years in central PA. I've almost pushed those memories of waiting till April or May for the ice, salt, snow and gravel to get off the road out of my head. The weather will change here in a few weeks and I'll do a few miles for you :laugh

Hello and welcome to the forum. Do you have a pictures of the bike to share?

Scot
I have a public album with a couple pics of the GS and bikes I used own. Not sure how to access them yet. It is called Millennium Falcon.

P.S. - Found out how to go there, under community.

Hi Rod - welcome here.

A good place to try out your dualsport wings is the Georgia Mountain Rally.

You might also like to know about The GS Giants... see the sig line below. :thumb

Look forward to meeting you on the trail.

Ian

Welcome Rod! I'm also live in the great state of SC in the Charleston area. I also ride by your area several times a year heading to the mountains.

You mentioned great roads in WV and the funny thing is my first trip this year is going to WV. My plan is to pickup the North end of BRP and ride the Skyline and then west into WV. Any recommendations on routes and campgrounds in WV would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Welcome Rod! I'm also live in the great state of SC in the Charleston area. I also ride by your area several times a year heading to the mountains.

You mentioned great roads in WV and the funny thing is my first trip this year is going to WV. My plan is to pickup the North end of BRP and ride the Skyline and then west into WV. Any recommendations on routes and campgrounds in WV would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
Hi Dave,
I have ridden all over WV although not as much in the coal fields SW of Charleston. Too many coal trucks and small towns with big radar guns. I prefer the E.WV and W.VA. There is no shortage of camp grounds, but the two places I like the most to use a base of operations are the Canaan Valley Resort and Marlinton "Motor Lodge?". If I were lucky enough to be stuck in a Groundhog Day scenario of my choosing, it would be riding US33 out of Elkins over to 42 just short of Harrisonburg, down 42 to US250 to US219; S on 219 to 39 at Marlinton and 39 to the bottom of 42 again. Oh, by the way there are only at least a 1000 variations on that with some even better roads. The problem with WV is too many roads and not enough time to ride them all. :laugh When you get ready for some serious planning, PM me. I enjoy talking about riding WV almost as much as riding it.

By the way, WV has dashed lines in turns and when you go to pass that delivery truck, be prepared for some friendly racing.

Strangely, I'm planning to do a similar ride from the other direction the last weekend in April. The Parkway from Roanoke south into North Carolina is one of the least interesting parts, but it picks up north of Roanoke. Skyline is nice but the speed limit is 35 MPH the whole way. Plus it is absolutely crammed with deer. And I say that living in Pennsylvania where I see deer more days than not.
Yep, I remember the days when you could cruise at 70+ from Front Royal to Cherokee, but as you say that chunk you mention is pretty boring. When I head into WV, I normally go up several other routes across NC and VA further west than the BRP, less traffic, more direct and way more twisty.

Thanks. I'll be putting my route together over the next couple of weeks. I'm looking at 5-7 days at the end of April or first part of May.

BTW, I know the Skyline speed limit is 35, but I've never ridden it and want to cross it off the list. Should be a good morning or afternoon ride!

Dave

Being out of money isn't always a bad thing.

Oh, I didn't mean that the speed limit was a reason to stay away. I love it and ride it several times a year. Just figure that the full length of it will take 3 to 3.5 hours.
My "old timers" prevents me from exact recollections, but a few years back the National Park Service was real low on cash. When that happened you rarely saw a ranger other than on Sunday afternoons. Looks like this summer may be the same situation. You can usually fly on a weekday morning and rarely see cars except in areas like around Boone where they use it as an alternate to US221.

Back